• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MEM Tyseley

Totally understand about the defenrential syle of the perdiod. I joined a black country firm as IT manager in about 1980. My newly acquired team insisted upon calling me "Mr Ellis'. I said, "oh no, please call me Jason". The head of my newly acquired departnent replied, "of course Mr Jason"

My grandfather worked there in the 60s and the 70s. Fred Basterfield. He was the Chairman eventually but started as an office junior. I'm keen to speak to anyone who remembers him or to see any pictures? It's lovely and quite eye opening to read all the comments on this thread - how different things were

I worked in the buying office 1972-1982. Started as office jnr & left as Assistant Buyer. I remember so, so many names, Graham Havard whom I had a lasting friendship after MEM, till his passing four years ago. Jim Cox, Bob Bothwell, Sue Vincent, Anne, John Leeson, Margret Pratty, Margret Knott, Stan Robins & Richard Carpenter. Glennis, Barbara, June, Irene, Violet many, may more. So sad to see Reddings Lane get bulldozed. Like to hear from anyone who knows me Ian.
Do you remember my Grandfather Fred Basterfield?

My wife has found this site by accident today and I am delighted.
Sadley but inevitably I now know that a number of people I remember have passed away.
I joined MEM in 1973 as a Chartered Accountant working with David Judd and
continued until 2003 by which time I was employed as the Company Secretary.
After a few years I was promoted to executive status and no longer took my cup of tea
off the trolley as recorded by another contributer to this site.
I remember Mary who appeared twice a day dressed in black and white and carrying a tray
with a tea pot etc.
There was however at least one tea pot lid which did not fit properly and if you were unlucky
and did not notice this you would find on pouring out the tea that the hot liquid would tend to
run down your sleeve instead of into the cup.
This happened to me several times including one time when I was offering tea to a guest.
I have many other memories of MEM but the above does rather stand out.

I used to work at Newey Goodman back in the days when people used nappy pins. Eurobrake, Serck and MEM, all are long gone. I was told there were MEM plants in Spring Road and Kings Road, don't know whereabout.

I used to work at Newey Goodman back in the days when people used nappy pins. Eurobrake, Serck and MEM, all are long gone. I was told there were MEM plants in Spring Road and Kings Road, don't know whereabout.
The MEM factory Spring road had a very high/big square clock tower by the main gate, you could see this clock for miles around,keeping good time.(no excuse for being late).
Stephen.

Hi, Came across this site. My father Goher Rehman was a tool setter and worked here between about 1963 and 1978 does anyone remember him?

Just wondering if anyone from my time at MEM (1980-1988) remembers me at all. Wages Office junior to start and my Dad Reg Grice was over the printing Dept. I remember several names mentioned. My boss was Dorothy Ward and the girls I worked with Chris, Josie, Doreen to name a couple. Would be great to hear from anyone who remembers

I worked in the buying office of MEM in Reddings Lane in the 1970's. It was a well-established company and quite quaint and old fashioned in many ways. Waitresses dressed in black and white would bring tea and coffee round to the managers. The ordinary workers got two ladies from the canteen pushing a trolly with big urns on it. You were only allowed to use the lifts if you had a disability, were a director, or were pregnant . There were attendants in the toilets all the time, constantly making everything clean (even though the building was old).
I loved it there.Does anyone esle remember it?
I worked as a Progress Chaser at the MEM during the summer holidays between 'O' and 'A' levels and then University during the late 1970's. First summer was at Spring Rd where the 'specials' were made. Only name I recall from there was a colleague called Barry Bennett who played bowls for 'The College Arms'. Next two summers were at Reddings Lane where I 'chased' out of the bottom office where my dad Albert Baghurst (MEM 1960's to 80's) also worked with colleagues Les Macefield, Horace, Rupert and the manager was Barry. Very easy work and not difficult to see why it was needed, or why a computer could easily cut the workforce by 95% in later years. My uncle, Albert Bennett worked in the Bakelite shop. Many happy memories and I am proud to say I once worked in UK manufacturing.

The MEM Spring Road wasn't far from the Reddings Lane site then
A 5 minute walk - out the front door and left up Spring Rd to Reddings Lane, and right turn towards Olton Boulevard. I used to occasionally walk Bakelite strips for printing from one to the other to make sure they got there and were given priority.

Back