• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Melancholia.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
I remember when I was in my teens a lady in Holte road died from this. Would it have been through a broken heart or is it the equivilant of a complete nervous breakdown. Some people said it was a made up complaint but the dictionary says it is a state of misery. Did you ever hear of anyone suffering from it. Jean.

Who was that then Jean??? I think I may have had it but I have just this morning cured myself by booking a 2 week holiday in Tunisia for begining of May

There was an old lady who always dressed in black [not Mrs Daniels] lived by aunt Nell. She lived on her own and never married. Will let you know her name in an e.mail. At least your foot should be ok by May Pat. Jean.

G G Jean, Melancholia is what some BRAwomin cause for some BARmen.

Paul you'd never pick mine up, I am always having to pay excess baggage even though I have one of those things you can weigh your case with

Queen Victoria was reported to have suffered a state of profound melancholy for almost 20 years following the death of Albert. Thought the dictionary definition appears exact in truth it can be applied to any permanent case of sadness or depression brought about by a major life event-and occasionally for no exact cause.

We all have heard anecdotal tales of people dying of broken hearts and indeed cemetery memorials often show partners following each other within a short time span.
There is no medical research that prove folk do die of broken heart syndrome but it is known that the depressed do have low immune systems that can limit life. Poor diet,alcohol and ciggies often taken in excess by the depressed all contribute to their low immune status.

I lost my wife very suddenly from a massive heart attack 40 months ago and I still recall the raw pain and melancholic reaction I experienced for 24 months afterwards. I myself "just gave up" and saw no reason to be here. The infections I had during this time were very frequent all because my immune system was labile. I can so understand why one partner follows the other soon after to the majority.

So sorry to hear of your loss, John. While you will always miss your wife, I sincerely hope your pain and sadness has and will continue to decrease with the great healer time.

Back to Queen Victoria, she mourned the loss of Albert for the rest of her life wearing only black, the first ten years of which were spent in seclusion. We have an image of her as being the dour monarch whose sole companion after Albert’s death was the Scotsman John Brown, with whom it has been suggested she conducted a secret affair and some even claim there may have been a marriage. However, these claims cannot be substantiated and are generally dismissed. But there also seems to be some evidence that in her early years she might have been quite a ‘flirt’. Well, as far as the society of the day considered flirtatiousness.

Meeting Albert changed that and I think it is indisputable that while marriages of monarchs were and are generally ‘arranged’ (in as much as they would be introduced to several suitable suitors and marriage outside these choices were frowned upon if not prohibited - remember Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson, Charles and Camilla/Diana?) both herself and Albert were devoted to each other.

I personally believe without the support of John Brown she may well not have lived as long a life and may well have remained a recluse for the time she had left.

There is an excellent film Mrs. Brown in which Billy Connolly (quite out of character) plays the eponymous John Brown. While I cannot vouch for the historical veracity of the production it really is an excellent play. One would like to think that it is a true rendering of their relationship. But only John and Victoria know the truth!

Stitcher. NO COMMENT. John I did hear something on the radio regarding Queen Victoria but I am so sorry about your loss and unless it has happened to you no one can even begin to understand. I am not referring to myself but my brother in law who'se wife passed away in 2003 and he still has not come to terms with it. We used to go round at midday and he would still be in bed. Looking back I think he was going through the same as yourself only he did have a short time to prepare for it. Jean.

Stitcher. NO COMMENT.

Well said, Jean. While I am sure Stitcher meant no disrespect or real harm, one should, as I do review their comments and other’s posts several times before posting and consider the feelings of fellow Brummies. What you see as a little humour and inoffensive may well be distressing to others. Ladies deserve as much respect as us men. Though I’m not quite sure what the comment insinuates. Perhaps we have misinterpreted what Stitcher was trying to convey.

Quoted to me, many years ago by an old gentleman “A lady is a woman who causes a man to act like a gentleman”.

Thanks Paul but Trevor and myself have a little joke now and again and I know he didn't mean anything by it. I am glad people agree that Melancolia did and does exist only when my mom was alive my sister in law said there was no such thing. An old wives tail she called it. Jean.

Years ago, my friend was diagnosed with melancholia. She worked in hospital records and the details of patients' diseases brought on the depression. She did give up the job she obviously wasn't able to cope with.

Anthea.

G G Jean, its obvious to me that Paul has not been bullied and threatened by certain BRAWomin as I have.
On the subject of meloncholia, my sister died from a heart attack and a few months later I was contacted by a social worker from Selly Oak Hospital. She asked if I would visit my brother in law who was, unknown to mea patient in the hospital. She said she would meet me at his bedside. I did this and after she was sure of who I was she asked me to go outside for a conversation. She told me he was dying from a broken heart and she likened this to meloncholia.
That was about 9 years ago.

Oh that is sad stitcher. No one know what goes on in other peoples minds and how they cope. My Nans son Fred died when I was about twelve [moms brother] and although I didn't go to Kent for the funeral mom said nan walked behind the coffin with her back dead upright and not expression on her face. It was weeks later after not eating or sleeping properly that she broke down and sobbed and sobbed. They reckon if she hadn't let the bodies natural way of letting out your fealings take it's course she would also have died from a broken heart. Jean.

Anthea didn't mean to ignore you but I can see how that sort of a job could affect a person. You could go home and dwell on all the things you could become ill with. Jean.

Thanks Paul but Trevor and myself have a little joke now and again and I know he didn't mean anything by it.

In that case I offer my sincere apologies to you both. Always the defender of the fair sex I do occasionally (and increasingly so) put my foot in it!

G G Jean, its obvious to me that Paul has not been bullied and threatened by certain BRAWomin as I have.

Stitcher, I am not sure I want to know what a BRAWoman is!

Paul if you join the other part of the forum [you need to ask Postie for access] you would get the joke. It's a bit of banter between the men folk and women. Give it a try you can chat freely there. Thanks again for being so gallant Sir Paul. Jean. PS. You won't get melancholia in there it's just a bit of fun.

No problem with the remark or humour Paul. It may be better if I let one the BRAWomin explain it all to you because just thinking about them can start all my allergies and panic attacks off again.

Paul if you join the other part of the forum [you need to ask Postie for access] you would get the joke. It's a bit of banter between the men folk and women. Give it a try you can chat freely there. Thanks again for being so gallant Sir Paul. Jean. PS. You won't get melancholia in there it's just a bit of fun.

Well, Sir Paul! I've been called some things, but Sir! Thank you, Lady Jean!

And thank you Stitcher for your indulgence.

Paul, the pleasure is all mine. If you are a new member welcome aboard.
Trevor.

Melancholy / Melancholia
Melancholy is that state of alienation or weakness of mind which renders people incapable of enjoying the pleasures, or performing the duties of life. It is a degree of insanity, and often terminates in absolute madness. [Buchan1785].
A disease supposed, by the ancients, to be caused by black bile. A variety of mental alienation, characterized by excessive gloom, mistrust, and depression, generally, with insanity on one particular subject or train of ideas, or on a few subjects. Melancholy is also used for unusual gloominess of disposition. [Dunglison1868].
A gloomy state of mind; mental depression that is of some continuance or is habitual. [Appleton1904].
A mental condition characterized by great depression of spirits and gloomy forebodings.[Dictionary.com].
Melancholia%201906%20MA.jpg
Example from a 1906 Death Certificate from Massachusetts:

Back