• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Medal

mossg

master brummie
I have recently been given three medals from WW1,i have been told they are family medals.
Two i recognise as family but the third does not ring a bell at all.The inscription on the rim reads
Pte W Simpson 14379 Royal Lancashire Regiment.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction with regard finding his home town etc.Moss

Found his medal card,

Simpson William
9/Royal Lancs 14379 Pte
Labour Corp 610166 Pte

Victory medal
British War medal
1915 Star

Served in France
arrival in France 4/9/15

Had a quick look but cannot find service or pension records, will have another look later.

Colin

Lady Leaver, welcome to the forum, Medal Roll index cards can be viewed on Ancestry, but only list name, rank, regiment and medals awarded, you would need other information to be able to confirm that you have the correct index card, imagine how many "Fred Smith" there were. Copies of these cards are also available from The National Archive web site, but you are not able to view card before purchasing, so you would need additional information to confirm correct soldier
Also on Ancestry are Service and Pension Records, these give a more detailed record and will have details such as home address, occupation and next of kin, which makes proving the identity easier, although this is not a complete set as many records were destroyed during WW2
If you can give us names and any other relevant information, someone should be able to have a look for you.

Colin

Colin, do you have problems with finding people on Ancestry though - I have name, rank, numer and regiment for my great uncle, but cannot trace him on Ancestry - he emigrated to Australia in 1924 and 2 of his medals were lost down the floorboards, but the family still has one so have all the details of that one but draw a complete blank on Ancestry every time, we would like to know where he served and what his medals wre for. Do you have any tips on searching?
Sue

Back