• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Medal Help

Hi have a football medal and apparently the hallmark on it is from Birmingham.
I was wondering if anyone could help me name the team on it. Ive attached a picture.
Any help would be very much appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191023_183821_com.ancestry.android.apps.ancestry.jpg
    Screenshot_20191023_183821_com.ancestry.android.apps.ancestry.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 21
I think I'm right in saying that the majority of small silver objects were assayed, and probably made, in Birmingham around that time. So it might not be a local team.

There is a club in Staffordshire called Butt Lane White Star F C. It appears to have been established in 1967 though, but the name may have been taken from an earlier one.

Thanks for this the medal belonged to Grt Grandad in Dewsbury West Yorkshire. He died in 1924 and this medal was only found recently in a other relations belongs. So know one has a clue on its story. I've spent hours looking through micro film of local news papers in the library and emailed various football assioation.... to no avail. This was my last stab in the Dark.
Butt Lane White Starr is the best match with the initials I've had so far but they don't seem to have existed before 1967.
Anyway thanks for the reply
Cheers IW

Defnitely a mention of a footbal team in Butt Lane in 1896.

And a mention in the Staffordshire Sentinel, 21 Feb 1914 of Butt Lane White Star.

I think you could be getting warm here. There was also a Butt Lane Swift’s that played in the N.Staffs League.

What were the initials of Mr France ?

His name was Isaac France. I have him as living in Dewsbury on the 1891 census working as some kind of Labourer. So don't know what he would be doing down in the midland.

Back