• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mechanical Horses, Scarabs & Ants

Three more flickr pictures:
[1] A shire horse looks warily at his Scammell MH3 replacement.
[2] Scammell Scarab registered VOX91 (Birmingham) lovingly restored in British Railways livery (but apparently originally owned by Cadbury).
[3] Make it yourself: French Meccano instruction diagram for a "cheval mécanique avec semi-remorque".​

Last edited:
Thylacine thanks no 2 was the one restored in the TV programme I watched.
This was posted under the photo which is what I remembered from the programme.

"This Scarab was not used on the railway but fetched and carried at the Cadbury factory in Bourneville"
The chap it belonged to and who featured in Salvage squad sadly died, hence "Grandad" flowers on the bumper. Such a shame.

Really lovely range of pics Thlacine - thank you. I must reproduce the Shire & Mechanical horse one - brilliant. & great to have found that ex-Cadbury Salvage squad one too.

So that's Railway Stations + Railfreight, National Carriers Ltd, Cadbury, Southalls, GPO, Breweries (inc Highgate & M&B), maybe RAF...

I would particularly like to hear stories and see pictures in a Birmingham landscape, ideally with forum members or their family driving them...

No pics I'm afraid - I do recall getting several lifts home from senior school in one if dad was passing at the right time, and I do remember him saying that they didn't like islands (or rather that he didn't like driving them around islands) at more than walking pace.

The first post in this thread mentions their manoeuvrability and why they were popular for deliveries. They were, principally used in cities or large towns and I believe it was therefore rare to see them used in rural and small towns which were distant to their depots.

Back