• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Meatyard Sidney Harold 1868 - 1947

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
I am researching the Meatyard/Meteyard family. Sidney's second wife was my husband's first cousin twice removed Kate Muriel Mason Eadie.

I know that it's a long shot but I'm wondering if anyone on here actually knew him. There isn't much information about him; indeed he may have intentionally kept his personal life private.

But I really would like to build up a picture (pardon the pun) of him. I have found two self-portraits of him on the internet. One age 20 and one age 40. The Meatyards/Meteyards are a fascinating family. I would be really grateful for any info.

Many thanks.

Jill

I did not know him and I'm not sure if all of this is absolutely correct but this is what I have found in various records, and it might help others to recognise him.

Sidney Harold MEATYARD, born Stourbridge, Worcestershire 1868, died Evesham 1947, father Oswald George MEATYARD, a commercial traveller (Glass) born London, mother Emma Maria.

Brothers Herbert Rutland MEATYARD, 1866, (he worked in a Glass shop in Shrewsbury for some years but by 1911 was a Victualler at Boars Head, 88 Church Street, Bilston, Staffordshire).
Oswald E MEATYARD, 1877 (a Clergyman, Church Of England, in Birmingham by 1901).

Sidney METEYARD, married 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Aletha Agnes Roberts, Worcester 1892, married 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Elizabeth Lilley, Fulham 1898 and married 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Kate M M Eadie, Birmingham 1940.

In 1901 Sidney an Art Master (Municipal School) & Lizzie were at Parkstone, Prospect Road, Kings Norton & in 1911 they were at 27 Greenhill Road Moseley.

Clarkie

Hi Jill

Don't know if you have it but there was a notice of his death in The Time 8th April 1947

"METEYARD - On April 4th 1947 at Malt House, Cookhill, Alcester, Sidney Harold Meteyard, devoted husband of the late Kate Muriel (nee Eadie), in his 80th year. Service St. Paul's Church, Cookhill, on Friday April 11th at 1.45. Internment, Brandwood End Cemetery, Birmingham, 2.30. Flowers to Bach and Barker, Old Square, Birmingham, not later than 12 noon."

Also in The Times 26th Feb 1983 there is mention that a new auction price record was set for "two lesser artists, the British pre-Raphaelite Sidney Harold Meteyard and the German Alexander Max Koester. Meteyard's "St George and the Slain Dragon" made $33,000 (estimate: $38,000-$45,000) or £21,700......"Suzanne

Jill

Sidney's probate record 10th September 1947

"METEYARD Sidney Harold of Malt House Farm Cookhill near Alcester Warwickshire died 4th April 1947. Probate Birmingham 10 September to the Reverend Oswald Meatyard clerk and Maggie Jane Eadie spinster. Effects £3141 12s."

Kate's probate record

"METEYARD Kate Muriel of Malt House Farm Cook Hill near Alcester Warwickshire (wife of Sidney Harold Meteyard) died 8 November 1945. Administration Birmingham 15 August to the said Sidney Harold Meteyard artist and Maggie Jane Eadie spinster. Effects £2529 18s 5d."

Suzanne

Apologies for not returning to this thread sooner. Thank you both for your replies. I had already managed to gather some of the information which you both have kindly found for me but the additional info is very welcome. I was looking to find someone who knew him or Kate in the hope of some anecdotal information about them.

Many thanks for taking the time to research the info for me. Regards. Jill

For some of the artist's work on the illustrations in the book The Golden Legend see below, if you want a pristine copy it could cost you 650 dollars

Back