• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Me Dads old sayings

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
my old man used to say when we were always squabling amongest ourselves in the house ; shut up and be quite; OR ELSE YOU ;
BOBS YOUR UNCLE; AND FANNYS YOUR AUNT END IT NOW OR OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE UP THOSE DANCERS ;FASTER THAN YOU THINK ;
WHAT HE REALLY MEANT WAS YOU WILL UP TO BED AND NO TEA ; Thats is way of ruling ; but mom always called us down when he went to work
or to the pub ; but more often than not he had a idea that she was doing that so he used to double back and catch her out ;
he over ruled her and said joyce ; i meanwhat i say and shouted at her astonian;;

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
I think you may be right there JohnO. But where did Collars & Cuffs come in? That's one I've never understood the origin of.
- I think y'all realisethat I'm just back to this site (big grin!) Collars and cuffs, I think, come from the days when these were removable starched items.... and then translates to "White collar workers" workers in later years - am I correct??