• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Me And My Dad

hi all
I hav'nt got a picture of my dad , never even seen a camera when I was small, too expensive, but I loved and admired him all my life straight as a dye, and hard working and like postie, great christmas's he was wounded badley at salerno with the gunners and spent 9 months in a military hospital, then soldiered on till 1945, went as he wanted 84yrs old 1998, came in with the shopping and dropped, dead before he hit the floor. loved my old mom too great parents .
paul stacey

My Dad died at 57 when I was 15 I loved him to bits. I would rather have had him longer than a photo. We all have different wishes don't we.:)

Wendy I know that sadness too. My dad died aged 59, came in from work (and by golly did he work hard) and just died. I cried for a fortnight solid, have never really got over it.

Sad times maggs. The problem with our family is heart trouble my brother has had a tripple by pass and is really good now. The operation wasn't about in 1969.:(

Hi all
I am not poet but I wrote this on my dad's passing! I suspect it could be from any one of you.
MY FATHER
I never got to say goodbye and take my leave of you,
But given any option, I would never have wanted to,
You were my my staff though out my life, my never failing friend,
Even when I hurt you,and sometimes let you down,
You were always there for me, sometimes with a frown,
All your life you struggled, fate was never kind to you,
But no one would ever know, you were a hero through and through,
I often stop and think of you, and wonder where you are,
And in my mind I tell you, how much I miss your laughter,
And your council when I'm down,
Some how you were always there for me, and always eased my pain,
So I truly hope there is a place where we will meet again
So as I'm getting older, and my life is full of care,
As I step through that veil of death you will be waiting there,
You will open up your arms again, just as when I was young,
And say to me welcome home, its good to see you son.

Harry Kitchener Stacey 1915-1998

With great respect from your eldest son PAUL.

hi paul..what i lovely tribute to your dad and you are right when you say it could have been written by anyone of us...thanks for sharing it with us...

hope you all dont mind me posting this one of me and my dear dad..its been posted before under my family pics...

lyn:)

Jim thanks for starting this thread it's the lovliest one I have read for a while and brings a lump to your throat. Here is one of my dad and myself. My brother is on too. Jean.

hi lyn
thanks for the sentiments, great photo of you and your dad, I nearly never put it up as I only wrote it privately after dad passed on, being an ex soldier and bit of a macho man in my day I felt it was'nt accepted to have close feelings for people, but I had to mark the passing of such a remarkable human being so I jotted it down in my diary, so glad you liked it.
regards
paul stacey

hi paul...one should never feel any less a person for having feelings...in fact i reckon it makes you more of a person if you do....

thanks again.....

lyn:):):)

Sad times maggs. The problem with our family is heart trouble my brother has had a tripple by pass and is really good now. The operation wasn't about in 1969.:(

Same here Wendy, family heart problems, Grandfather, Father and brother all dead young. As you say medicine was not as advanced then.

Thats different then Jean, its nearly always the men that seem to get it. It is quite surprising though that more women die of heart disease than of breast cancer, and yet look at the publicity breast cancer get's. Always seem a bit unfair to me.

My Mom and Dad were the greatest adults I ever knew, but I suppose there were thousands and thousands just like them really. Mom was always at home when we came from school. Breakfast, sandwich for lunch and a cooked dinner every evening with another sandwich for supper. Although nothing high tech, a pressy every birthday and Christmas. Dad regularly took me fishing, amature boxing at Joseph Lucas Shaftmoor Lane or the Austin at Longbridge. Every year I was taken to the Onion Fair and the fair at Hay Mills. The rowing boats at Swanshurst park and Cannon Hill Park were regular activities as well. I have always tried to be like my dad. He always worked and he was as honest as the day is long.

That's a lovely story Stitcher, and you had a life far more valuable than children get today. It wasn't about what money could buy, it was about warmth, love and good parenting which is more than thousands of children get today. You were indeed a fortunate child.

I have loved the memories on this thread, and the photos, and the poem. Thought I would put on a picture of my darling Dad. He was wonderful and I miss him very much.

Judy

Oh Judy that's lovely. I have enjoyed this thread and it has made me shed a few tears but of joy. I count myself lucky to have had such a loving father who suffered ill health throughout the years but I had him till I was 24. Jean.

Paul that it so beautiful and exactly how I feel about my dad. It will surely be heaven if all our smashing dad's are waiting for us won't it?

Lyn, Paul, Jean and Judy, lovely pics of the dad's.

What a super thread this is for us to give thanks for these father's of ours.

maggs..isnt every pic a gem...i am so lucky that i still have my dad around....hes just turned 80 and i love him dearly....

lyn:):)

You certainly are Lyn, treasure him whatever you do. No one fills the gap when they have gone...and I mean NO ONE.

Maggs, my mom kept the house and Dad bought in the money until we were a bit older then Mom got a job on what was called 'The Twilight Shift at the Lucas factory Shaftmoor Lane. On Fridays we would be waiting for her when she came out of work and she would have a cake for each of us. We eat them as we walked home. Dad was very strict but fair. He would give us a good hiding if it was needed and I knew if he smacked me, I deserved it. He taught me how to box. He also taught me how to fight bullies. When I was due to leave school he asked me what I wanted to do for a living, I told him I wanted to be a lorry driver. He smiled and said I would have to wait until I was twenty one. He always said that when you become a father, you have a duty to love and protect the child as you mould it into becoming a well balanced well adjusted clean living adult. Lastly you should always strive to ensure that your offspring have a better life and do better in life than you have done.
We all have a mother and a father otherwise we wouldn't have been born. What children need is a MOM and a DAD. Moms and Dads are really special, they have to be protectors, friends. advisers, tutors and whatever else they need to be until you are old enough to go it alone. My dad was dying with liver cancer and I was a lorry driver. One day when I arrived at a delivery I was told my boss wanted to talk to me. I phoned and was told my dad had taken a turn for the worse. I was given permision to drive home from London and I got back a few hours before dad died. My Boss was ROY LOWE of Lowes Transport and I have always been grateful to him for what he did for me.

Hello Norma, as we were growing up mom and dad were just mom and dad. It was not until we were a little older that we realised just how much our parents did for us and how much they cared about us. After dad had died I realised I had lost a friend. Mom died a few years later and again I realised that another friend had gone. My son was bullied when he was 14 by a group of four who were 21 years old. He was really scared and told me these four ruled our area and were unbeatable. I took him to the police station and they did not want to know because the offenders were due in court in a few days time and I was told that the paperwork could not be drafted in time and they did not want to postpone the case. I could not stand to see my son scared so I took him with me and went looking. I found them in a local pub. My son pointed out which one had broken his nose and I broke his, and removed a few teeth for him. I told the other three that as far as I was concerned it was over, any more and would bring a team and put all of them in hospital. My son couldnt believe it because he did not know I could fight. He does not listen to reputations these days. He is a self employed locksmith and is doing very well indeed. He does a lot of work through Help the aged and similar organisations.

Well with all these pic's of members and their dad's I thought I'd look for one of myself with mine. However the only photo I have with Myself and my Dad is this one...
View attachment 31984
Taken on my wedding day and I think after all said and done that may be the best one I could have....

I wrote this a couple of years ago now...
A poem for my Dad

My Dad he was a lovely man
I'll tell you a little about him if I can.
He liked to have a lot of fun
This did not always please my Mom.
He was almost blind, but he could see
Making people laugh was the way to be.
He played the piano in Brummie pubs
This helped to clothe and feed his cubs.
With Dad on the piano and his mate Jock on the spoons
They would give our neighbours some real good dance tunes.
When times were tough, or times were hard
He'd make his own brew down our back yard.
He was a VILLA fan through and through
Although could just take 'The Blues' like a number of you.
Now for my Dad please don't shed tears
'cause he's been gone a great nu mber of years.
I know that sounds a long time dead
However I still remember him, with love inside my head.

Chris/Pom :angel:

Chris I wish I could put words together like that. I have them in my head but just can't seam to put it on paper but I'm gonna give it a go later. Jean.

chris..what a great poem..its only just now that i realise how lucky we are to have pics of our parents..i used to think that we had not got that many family snaps but reading how few or none at all in some cases that folk have i think myself lucky....

thanks norma...i was was visiting mom and dad the other day and although dad has now only got the use of his right side after that stoke in december he still managed to beat me at dominos and take a couple of quid off me...:D:D this is one of the things about him i love so much...he will never give in..hes a fighter

lyn:):)

Chris what lovely words. As you say it's probably the best photo of you and your dad that you could have. My wedding day was always tinged with sadness because my Dad was not there:(. My eldest brother did the honors.:)

Lovely memories of all the dads. Well done Stitcher. Beautiful poem Pomgolian. Jean we all have these things in our heads, but writing them down isn't easy. Wendy, Sadness indeed.

Maggs

Back