• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mcnabs Ice Creammaker Sellers

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI GUYS
Today i drove down to brum and came over the licky hills and down into West Heath
And i got stuck behind an very old Ice cream van playing is tunes
And as i followed him going my way of course just before the green he turned off
the van was of an older model of yester years all painted in cartoons style
and the name on it was Nabbs ice cream ;
so i said to my self cor blimey, thats old Nabbs from stechford they was a ice cream
Makers and sellers i beleive they had there shop facing the old stechford
Swimming baths on station road stechford way back in the fiftys and sixty up until
The seventys,
Does anybody from stechford ever recall them , i was surprized they still operate
Best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,,,

Was it McNab's Alan? If so, I've added the name to the thread title. McNab's have been in business for 50 or so years. Viv.

Hi viv and Mickymoo
Good morning to you both , many thanks for your replies on macnabbb
i used to know them being around not personaly but being a neibourhood neibour way back over the fifty years ago
when i lived in mannor road by the bakery when i lived with my inlaws
thats the real reason i was surprized to hear they was in business still
thats good news to hear that they are still trading and its good news to hear from you both
Especialy you micky it,s been a long time since i heard from you ,
Have a nice day guys , best wishes Alan Astonian,,,

I seem to recall that they were prosecuted for storing sugar in poor conditions and rendering it unfit, way back in the fifties when sugar was still rationed.

The first time we had ice cream after the war was from a hearse, I think a Rolls Royce converted to serve out of the side window. No idea who that was though.
I also used to cycle to Stratford stopping at Henley in Arden for ice cream.

I used to live almost opposite McNabbs, back in the late 60's - early 70's. I believe Joan Armatrading lived about 100 yards or so away, the other side of the Baths, although I never met her.

However, even before that I knew the family as they had a daughter about my age who I must have known from School. I did take her to the Pictures once.:)

I can't now remember her name (or was it Victoria? - can't find her on FreeBMD) but I seem to recall the family name as being Preece (or similar).

The first time we had ice cream after the war was from a hearse, I think a Rolls Royce converted to serve out of the side window. No idea who that was though.
I also used to cycle to Stratford stopping at Henley in Arden for ice cream.

lovely ice cream in henley in arden eric:)

Checking Electoral Register for 1955, and Google Maps, it seems they were at 207 Station Road, Stechford.

I seem to recall that they were prosecuted for storing sugar in poor conditions and rendering it unfit, way back in the fifties when sugar was still rationed.
I used to live almost opposite McNabbs, back in the late 60's - early 70's. I believe Joan Armatrading lived about 100 yards or so away, the other side of the Baths, although I never met her.

However, even before that I knew the family as they had a daughter about my age who I must have known from School. I did take her to the Pictures once.:)

I can't now remember her name (or was it Victoria? - can't find her on FreeBMD) but I seem to recall the family name as being Preece (or similar).

I remember a Ken from primary school (Stechford Road Primary as it was then, Hodge Hill Primary now) and his parents had a hardware shop. Was that you Ken? I was Margaret Preece in those days although I was known as Ann at home and by the family. And yes our family ice cream business is still running although it is now in the capable hands of Mandy who joined the firm as a 16 year old work experience. Sadly my parents and brother are no longer alive and I moved away from Birmingham many years ago.

HI GUYS
Today i drove down to brum and came over the licky hills and down into West Heath
And i got stuck behind an very old Ice cream van playing is tunes
And as i followed him going my way of course just before the green he turned off
the van was of an older model of yester years all painted in cartoons style
and the name on it was Nabbs ice cream ;
so i said to my self cor blimey, thats old Nabbs from stechford they was a ice cream
Makers and sellers i beleive they had there shop facing the old stechford
Swimming baths on station road stechford way back in the fiftys and sixty up until
The seventys,
Does anybody from stechford ever recall them , i was surprized they still operate
Best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,,,
Wow what a blast from the past , I loved their ice cream ,I remember the van with it’s lovely tune and dashed out most evenings to buy my treat, The driver and seller at the time was Nigel who I believe lived by McNabbs Shop in station Road where his parents had a shop ,

hi. yes i lived just along from them.in station rd. and did some repairs on there van.they had a place down cranby ave. the J Armatradin family lived on the same side as the baths.

Back