• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

mcilroy

1871 Census:

14 Gough St, Birmingham

John McIlroy, b. abt 1825 Exeter - Tailor
Hannah b. abt. 1830 Gloucestershire - Tailoress
John T b. abt 1852 Electro Plate Worker born B'Ham
Isaac P b. abt 1854 B'Ham - Tailor
Lydia P b. abt 1856 B'Ham
Emily T b. abt 1858 B'Ham
Sarah A b. abt 1861 B'Ham
Alfred P b abt 1863 B'Ham
E P b. abt 1865 B'Ham
Mary Ann b. abt 1869 B'Ham

John Mcillroy -m- Hannah Grizzell, Sept qtr. 1848 Cheltenham

John Purcer McIllroy born Mar qtr 1852 Birmingham
Isaac Purcer Mar 1854 Birmingham
Emily Purcer Mar 1858 Birmingham

All these entries have double 'll' in the surname. Haven't managed to find birth reg. of the others (yet)

thanks to sues work have been able to find family in 1861

john mcilroy 37 tailor b. exeter
hannah 31 b. lassington glouc.
hannah 10 b, bham
john percy 9 b. bham
isaac 7 b. bham
lydia 5 b. bham
emily 3 b. bham

they were living sherlock st. bham

in 1851 living bifsell st. bham

john mcilroy 27 victualler b. exeter
hannah 21 b. glouc.
hannah 9 mths b. bham

james dowding lodger 39 tailor

A marriage from freeBMD

John PURSER MCILROY Sept 1873 6d 212
To
JANE McGOFF or MARY JANE WEBB or SARAH ANN WEDGE

this is probably hannah in 1841 in glouc.

george grizzell 30
mary 30
josiah 30
elizabeth 35
HANNAH 11
mary 7
henry 2
george 6 mths
tina 75

hannah was christened at lassington glouc. on 18 apr 1830
father george mother mary

maybe tina is her grandmother

and josiah and elizabeth uncle and aunt??

there is a burial at st. martins bham 5 apr 1861

mary ellen purser mcilroy. abode sherlock street. 16 mths

on ancestry there are two family trees with john mcilroy b. 1825 in exeter devon but they are both private. is one of them yours? you could contact the other to see if they have found johns father. ;)

Hi Shera thanks again for the help.you seem o be very clued up on this ancestry researching , have you any idea how I might obtain a marriage cert for a date pre 1837 .
As regards the other people looking for McIlroys ,I was aware about that , but my budget doesn't allow me to join Ancestry. I tried to contact them via Ancestry Library Edition but there are only certain aspects of the site that can be accessed from the library, it won't allow you to contact other people.thanks again . Mollie

the marriage records pre 1837 are on parish records so it is a library visit for that i think.

would you like me to try to contact the people on ancestry for you? obviously i dont know if they would reply but i could ask :rolleyes:

i have sent a message to owners of both private trees. now the wait to see if they reply! :shocked::shh:

will let you know.....

i have already had a reply from one of the tree owners as follows...

im afraid i have reached the same stage as you in trying to find the parents of john mcilroy. all i have is the marriage cert for john and hannah showing his fathers name as kier mcilroy. my grandmother who was the daughter of johns son alfred perser informed my eldest sister that the family came from scotland. sorry i cant assist you any further.

thank you so much shera. at least it has solved one problem, i also have john & hannahs' marriage cert , and on the copy i have the fathers name looks like kew.
I suppose i must be distantly related to your informant as my grandmother was the daughter of john & hannahs' son john mcilroy 2.
thanks again for all your trouble. mollie

hi mollie, my family found a photo album which we believe is of your family the McIlroys and also another family called the Eyles, i know you haven’t been active in a while but it’s worth another shot as my mother has reached out to you before.

Back