• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mayfield family from Birmingham

whiteheather

proper brummie kid
Hi, I am trying to do my family tree on a family called Mayfield, Charles edwin, William, etc from Birmingham, one of whom played cricket for Warwickshire,, William was a policeman in 1881 in Leopald St. Aston, I would be very pleased if anyone has these names on there family tree,
Thanks Heather

Annie Mayfield was living at 2 Grange Cottages,Wright Street in 1901,moving to the Lenches Trust almshouses in Ravenhurst Street by 1911 and remaining there until at least 1930.
Her occupation was described as letting apartments in 1901.

William Mayfield born 1842 Birmingham married Ann Bradley St Peter Dale End 1860
1861 a Patent Ivory worker living with Ann and baby charles age 9 months in Hick Street.
1871 still in Hick street, a policeman with Ann,
Charles E age 10
Arthur 8
Harriet 6
Lavinia 4
Emma 2.

William was the son of Charles E and Sarah Mayfield

1851 69 highgate
Charles E Mayfield age 52 Cordwainer b. Aston
Sarah age 51 Laundress born Wolverhampton
Abigail 17 Dressmaker b. Birmingham
William age 9 b. Birmingham

Charles Edwin Mayfield born 1799 baptised 1813 ST Martins parents Samuel and Mary.

Charles Edwin b. 1860 married Martha Smith in 1887 he was a Gun machinist and they lived in Linden Terrace,South Road, Deritend in 1891/1901
with children Ann b 1887,Charles Edwin b, 1888,James Henry 1890.

Hi I have just found out that although one of the Mayfields played cricket for Warwickshire, another had a theatre in Birmingham, look forward to anybody that know anything about these Mayfields
thanks, kind regards Heather

Hi Heather,
2011 is a long time since you posted your request for information on the Mayfields.
Did you find out if the Mayfields were connected with a theatre in Birmingham?
I'm only interested because I remember my mother made enquiries 15-20 years ago when she was alive and it came to nothing then. I've also a connection to the Mayfields but am in early stages of family research.
Regards Jo.

Hi Jo, just came across you looking for mayfield family. What is your connection my grandfather was charles edwin mayfield born 1889. His brother was james henry known to us as uncle harry he supposedly had the theatre. He married Sarah coles they had a son robert born 1930.
Regards heather

Hello Heather,
Many thanks for replying and answering my query regarding 'Theatre and Mayfields'. My mother mentioned Mayfields as she was hoping to do a family tree years ago and had an old photo of an actor she was trying to place and thought the picture was of a Mayfield. She wrote to various family members making enquiries. I made a start on a family tree last Autumn but its been on hold this year as I had other things to catch up with. The Mayfields are a major element in my family tree...

Charles Edwin Mayfield b.1799 (m) Sarah Ann Timmins b.1799
They had 8 children....
Mary Ann
Samuel
Lavinia
Charles
James
Abigail
Sarah
William (b.1842 on a census record)

Abigail is my great great grandmother.
Abigail had a joint baptism with William on 21.6.1837. Joint baptisms were common in those days.
William's date of birth given on that document is 24th July 1836.
The baptism took place at St Martin, Bull Ring, Birmingham.

William's name also appears as Witness on Abigail's marriage certificate in 1853.
Abigail's surname then changed to Nightingale.
Amongst Abigail's brood of children was Clara (my great grandmother).

When Clara married her surname changed to Silver and Evelyn Emily Silver was born (my grandmother) and when Evelyn married her name changed to Henfield. My mum's name is Evelyn Ida Henfield and I'm a twin currently hoping to put together some info for my grandchildren (also twins).

I am hoping to add mini (starter) Mayfield family trees for :

Mary Ann Mayfield
Samuel Mayfield
Lavinia Mayfield
Charles William Mayfield
James Mayfield
Sarah Ann Mayfield
William Mayfield

Up to present, I have only gone as far back in time to Abigail Mayfield (b.1833) and just a little on my grandfather's side. I was interested in their lives, what their life was like, where they lived, and this Forum has helped tremendously with street maps and a miriad of other interesting info as well as research into family and deciphering old handwriting on documents. I've also added a relevant fashion timeline to my family tree scrapbook as images can add interest to dates and data. Birmingham history is also a great subject once one looks into things to discover how villages expanded and were all joined up to form the districts of a city. Also discovering what work our ancestors did is interesting as can lead to further research.

I hope this info proves useful.
Regards
Jo

Last edited:
Hi jo
Abigails brother William was my gr.gr. Grandfather He was married to ann Bradley let me know if you want any info I go back to Samuel Mayfield born 1764 and mary watts.
From Heather
I was born in Scotland and still live there I am 76 yrs old married with 3 children 6 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren

Hi Heather,
Thank you again, also with much gratitude to you for your very kind offer of information.
I plan to continue with family research later this year, probably November as currently catching up with other things at the moment. I will come back to you with what data I find and see if it tallies with what you have before the end of this year.
Scotland is a beautiful place and it looks like you have a wonderful family with grandchildren and even great grandchildren whom I'm sure keep you busy.
Skipton (North Yorkshire) has been my base for hillwalking the last 15 years. I was born Rhyl, North Wales, moved to Birmingham when I was 10. Retired too.
I'll be in touch later in the year.
Be safe, and many good wishes to you.
Jo

Hi Heather,
A fluke doodle on the internet this evening has come up with a very good family tree covering Samuel Mayfield & Mary Watts (married 26.10.1788 St Martin, Birmingham). The icons on the right of each page produce more detail too.
Credit should be given to Robert George Clarke and Julie Laver who produced their family trees in such a well presented easy to follow manner. Their connection to the Mayfield's is Sophie (or Sophia) Mayfield (b.12.9.1794, bapt. 14.4.1813) - daughter of Samuel & Mary Mayfield.
The site is: http://www.jccglass.me.uk/scotnz/mann.html
I wondered if you were aware of this site, and if not, I hope you find it useful.
Regards
Jo.

Hello Heather,
Many thanks for replying and answering my query regarding 'Theatre and Mayfields'. My mother mentioned Mayfields as she was hoping to do a family tree years ago and had an old photo of an actor she was trying to place and thought the picture was of a Mayfield. She wrote to various family members making enquiries. I made a start on a family tree last Autumn but its been on hold this year as I had other things to catch up with. The Mayfields are a major element in my family tree...

They had 8 children....
Mary Ann
Samuel
Lavinia
Charles
James
Abigail
Sarah

Abigail had a joint baptism with William on 21.6.1837. Joint baptisms were common in those days.

William's name also appears as Witness on Abigail's marriage certificate in 1853.

When Clara married her surname changed to Silver and Evelyn Emily Silver was born (my grandmother) and when Evelyn married her name changed to Henfield. My mum's name is Evelyn Ida Henfield and I'm a twin currently hoping to put together some info for my grandchildren (also twins).

Mary Ann Mayfield
Samuel Mayfield
Lavinia Mayfield
Charles William Mayfield
James Mayfield
Sarah Ann Mayfield
William Mayfield

Up to present, I have only gone as far back in time to Abigail Mayfield (b.1833) and just a little on my grandfather's side. I was interested in their lives, what their life was like, where they lived, and this Forum has helped tremendously with street maps and a miriad of other interesting info as well as research into family and deciphering old handwriting on documents. I've also added a relevant fashion timeline to my family tree scrapbook as images can add interest to dates and data. Birmingham history is also a great subject once one looks into things to discover how villages expanded and were all joined up to form the districts of a city. Also discovering what work our ancestors did is interesting as can lead to further research.

Regards
Jo
Hello Jo....Incame across your search when joining the Birmingham
Hello Heather,

They had 8 children....
Mary Ann
Samuel
Lavinia
Charles
James
Abigail
Sarah

Mary Ann Mayfield
Samuel Mayfield
Lavinia Mayfield
Charles William Mayfield
James Mayfield
Sarah Ann Mayfield
William Mayfield

Regards
Jo
Hello Jo...I came across your story and request when I joined the Birmingham History Forum yesterday (May 8 2021)
I am a Henfield and I am a twin. My name is Martin henfield and I live in Ramsbottom, Lancashire. My twin brother is Mike and he lives in Sale Greater Manchester.We are 77
We were born in Stourport Worcestershire. Our dad, Albert Henfield was born in in Hope St, Balsall Heath in 1908 and married Lily Owen in 1936 when both were 27.
My father's dad was a drayman in Birmingham but could obviously not cope bringing up more children because my dad was given to an auntie and uncle who lived in Stourport at a very early age.
My twin brother married a twin (Elizabeth Knight). I married Margaret Bamford in 1970.
I remember we had an uncle Charlie and his wife Edith who came to stay with us at my parent's house in Wilden Lane, Stourport when Mike and I were children. He was a Birmingham tram driver and she had won several medals for top amateur swimming. She also made the word's worst gravy- very thin and tasteless- because Charlie had an ulcer!
I also remember dad had a brother Jim who lived in Worcester and was a well known union rep at the firm, Metal Box.

I have met one or two Henfield's over the years.

Hope some of these details might help in a Henfield search but will not help your Mayfield research I think.

Martin Henfield

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Heather,

They had 8 children....
Mary Ann
Samuel
Lavinia
Charles
James
Abigail
Sarah

Mary Ann Mayfield
Samuel Mayfield
Lavinia Mayfield
Charles William Mayfield
James Mayfield
Sarah Ann Mayfield
William Mayfield

Regards
Jo
Hi Jo,

As I am new to this forum, I may not have posted correctly as a reply to your earlier queries concerning the Henfield family. But, hopefully, if you see this post, you will see my original post directly above, which has an intriguing link to twins in the family. I should have added that my twin brother and his first wife ( a twin too) also had twins, but sadly they were premature and did not survive.

One wonders if there is a genetic link here?

kind regards
Martin

Back