• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

May Butler

nancoop

Hello. I'm searching for May Butler born in Birmingham in 1889. Parents John Harvey Butler and Mary (Ann?) Fisher.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MWS

master brummie
There is a May Butler registered Aston, who appears to be the daughter of John Butler and Jane Brooke.

There is a May Butler who was registered in Wandsworth, she was the daughter of a Thomas Butler and a Jane Fisher.

suemalings

master brummie
On the 1911 census there is a May Butler, born about 1890. Living at 159 Bolton Rd, Small Heath. Also at that address are:

John Butler, father, born Birmingham, Blacksmith
Jane Butler, mother born Birmingham., Shopkeeper at Grocers
John, age 15 born Birmingham a Leather Cutter in Saddlery Works
Gladys Butler, age 12 at school

nancoop

She did married Howard Morely Cooper, also from Birmingham. We have found information on him and his side of the family. They left England in 1906 on the SS Sicilian from Liverpool. She married my grandfather (Howard) after they arrived in Canada. The marriage documentation lists her parent's names and place of birth as indicated above. After my father was born, they immigrated to the US. In the 1930 US census, her age at time of marriage is listed as 17, which fits with the 1889 birth date. We have this first photo taken in Canada and another photo she had in her possession that just said "Butler" on the back. Possibly her mother. 18557370_10211840434159241_8049130708775642945_n.jpg

BUtler.jpg