• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Maurice POLLACK 1885-1918 Childhood actor

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I'll be adding much more to this in due course, but for now I'll briefly summarise that he was born in Birmingham of European parents and was killed in World War One. His father was a pianist and his mother an actress, the latter forming a childhood actors' group in Harborne. Maurice also knew Marie LONGMORE of the Theatre Royal. But here's some information to start you going on a childhood actors' site: https://histclo.com/bio/p/bio-poll.html

Maurice

I have come across an article on Maurice in Birmingham historian Aug 1999. it is stated that his main home was 56 Duchess Road, thát he was taught dancing by Mrs Madeline J. Wilton, widow, of 83 Hagley road. His first appearance on stage, according to the Mosely Society Journal(Jan 1897) was in "living pictures" at the age of 3, and his first acting role at age of 7 as a modern "masher" (which , from looking up, seems to be "a man who makes passes at women" - the mind boggles !). The first proper newspaper review of is stated to be as the female heroine in Sleeping beauty at 9 years in Jan 1895.

Back