• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Matthew Boulton memorial, Westminster Abbey

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Just attended the service dedicating a memorial to Matthew Boulton at Westminster Abbey. Beautiful service with lovely organ music and choir singing. The service was very fitting and accompanied by just a little pomp - not too much. Apart from the wonderful music and singing, I think the address delivered by Sir Nicholas Goodison was excellent. (Unfortunately the text isn't contained in the copy of the programme below). But among many other things he referred to Boulton as an 'ingenious mechanic" and entrepreneur. Without Boulton, Watt might never have had such success with his inventions. What was especially interesting in Sir Nicholas's address was he felt Boulton's example should still continue to inspire us today. (Fittingly two young people from Matthew Boulton College laid a wreath ). Mention was made that other memorials exist to the man, but the absence of a national memorial was being put right by the dedication today. His name now sits along with James Watt in what can only be described as the stunning Chapel of St. Paul. We were able to file one by one into the Chapel to view the memorial and then left the Abbey to the wonderful sound of the bells rejoicing above us.

To give you a flavour of the event I'm attaching the photos of the memorial and Chapel of St. Paul. In separate posts I'll put pages of the service booklet. Lovely day. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413553800.456599.jpg
avubydeg.jpg

The Matthew Boulton memorial now in place below the James Watt memorial in the Chapel of St. Paul's Westminster Abbey

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413553856.499513.jpg
Wreath laid by Jacob Pearson and Ellie Coleman, students of Matthew Boulton College, Birmingham

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413553934.043967.jpg
Entrance to the Chapel of St. Paul's, Westminster Abbey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One slightly humorous moment today was the mention of the Boulton/Watt/Murdoch statue group on Broad St. It was described as the gold statue, followed by "VERY gold". There were a few polite, muffled laughs. Soho House also got a mention, St. Mary's Church Handsworth and Soho Manufactory too. At last, the life and the significant role of Boulton has been properly recognised. Viv.

One slightly humorous moment today was the mention of the Boulton/Watt/Murdock statue group on Broad St. It was described as the gold statue, followed by "VERY gold". There were a few polite, muffled laughs. Soho House also got a mention, Handsworth Church and Soho Manufactory too. At last, the life and the significant role of Boulton has been properly recognised. Viv.

hi viv so pleased you enjoyed the service and many thanks for taking photos for us...smashing...i know that one of our members jayell (judy) will be delighted that her childhood home soho house also got a mention...

lyn x

Hi Lyn. Soho House staff were at the ceremony too. Some sat behind me. Forgot to post this photo, the City of Birmingham flag flying high above the Abbey in the glorious sunshine. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413564913.132518.jpg

I do remember the three male models, in the period correct costumes that posed for Mr.Bloye. He was a stickler for getting everything correct. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Colorado USA

I don't remember the three men being gold. I only remember it as a bronze sculpture. It must have been interesting John seeing the sculpture develop. I wonder if Mr Bloye would have appreciated the new Westminster memorial as it's all cast iron and is the first memorial in the Abbey to be made completely of cast iron. The Baskerville font engraving is also very simple. I like it and I like what it represents. A stark contrast to James Watt's memorial above it with it's very flowery engraving. Viv.

viv you wouldnt remember the statue being gold...its a fairly recent change...just my opinion but i think it now looks very cheap and tacky

Apparently it was gold when first erected - can't remember where I read that. I too think it looked better before the "clean up".
Glad there is a proper memorial now.

Janice

Apparently it was gold when first erected - can't remember where I read that. I too think it looked better before the "clean up".
Glad there is a proper memorial now.

Janice

morning janice...i didnt realise that it was orginally gold but like you i prefered the bronze colouring...

lyn

Thanks for this information - quite a good summary of Boulton's 'doings'. I think you were right first time - gold, very gold! I think it now looks a bit tacky & glitzy, but I dare say it will weather again in time. I did prefer the old bronze/green version

It was a pleasure to have been there to be part of the service Millie. Viv.

Hi Viv, nice photos!

I thought I read somewhere that no photos or videos were allowed to be taken during the service! (on the Westminster Abbey website).

How did you end up going, get an invitation?

You're right Ell. No photos are allowed. But I asked a steward before the service if I could take some for BHF. She said: "officially no, but see how the land lies after the service". No-one took photos during the service, but an opportunity cropped up when we went into the separate chapel to view the memorial. Got in there quick. But I used the iPad camera, no flash. It's hard to restrain yourself from taking photos as there's so much in the Abbey. I wanted to take a photo of Sir Robert Peel's statue which was looking me straight straight in the eyes during the service, but not only would it have been disrespectful, he looked terribly intimidating too!

Had to apply for a ticket online. Surprised I got one especially as it was free. I went on my own, so maybe it was a spare single ticket. Viv.

Oh ok. Might a smartphone of been better, as the iPad is a bit big?

Maybe you can go back on some other occasion (do you have to pay to normally visit Westminster Abbey?).

Easier to get his Tamworth or Edgbaston statues!

Well yes, my smartphone might have been easier, but I use an iPad Mini all the time because I can actually see the detail on the screen without my glasses!

Usually a charge for visiting. But prefer not to go up to Westminster too often as I worked opposite the Abbey for many, many years and it's usually full of tourists milling around, crowded etc. What was especially good about the Boulton memorial service was that it was mostly Birmingham people with a genuine interest in the service. So it was nice to be part of that. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Viv.

Back