• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Maternity Hospital, Newhall Street (?)

Neilythere

proper brummie kid
Hi there,

I've just had a very quick scan through the hospital threads and could not see a reference so thought I'd post an enquiry thread.

I'm currently researching a person in my family tree who I've discovered was one of the Middlemore Home children sent to Canada under the mass emigration schemes of the early part of the 20th century, I have recently had access to various records and amongst them were details of the boys' admission to the Middlemore Home (in St Lukes Road) in 1907 - from a particular record it states (and I quote) "Boy ran the streets and was given over to the police for ringing the electric bell at the Maternity Hospital, Newhall St....."

I wondered if anyone knew whereabouts in Newhall St this particular hospital was located (?) - I'm just interested out of curiosity really.... i.e. if the original building still exists or if like others, is long since gone!

Many thanks,

Neil

It is listed in the 1932 Kellys as 47 Newhall St, which was on the east side between Cornwall St & Gt Colmore St. There seems to be a lot of different businesses listed at no 47, so it couldn't have been very large, or was possibly just offices for the hospital.In 1921 it is listed as the Hospital for Women

Hi Phil,

I think this building is on the corner of Edmund Street, on the left hand side of Newhall Street looking
down from Colmore Row. I don't know if they mixed odd and even numbers in Newhall Street, but I can only
remember even numbers on this side (I worked at 98 during the early 60's).

Kind regards

Dave

Phil I don't think that is it. I think it is part of Cornwall buildings (though they are listed as no 45. The map below shows 47 in c1951. Below is streetview of buildings

streetview_cornwall_buildings_newhall_st.jpg

map_c_1951_showing_newhall_st_no_47.jpg

Mike & Dave

Of course you are both right I was never much good at map reading, that's why they kicked me out of the scouts. I'll remove the post as best I can so it doesn't cause confusion.

Thanks once again for the further details, I'll probably be make a further 'photo trip' into B'ham at some point as I also want to take a look at the building which used to be the Middlemore Home in St Lukes Road - it's just even more interesting and often quite poignant too in a way (to me anyway!) to see any actual old physical locations/buildings connected to a person's individual life 'backstory'.

Regards,
Neil

Hi Phil,

I have reason to remember the building in your pic. I was walking down Newhall St to work in the early 60's, when 2 cars collided at the junction of Newhall St and Edmund st. One car narrowly missed me and hit that nice pillared balustrade at the corner of the building, demolishing several pillars
For years afterwards the replacement pillars didn't match the older ones. I wonder if the replacements can still be distinguished from the rest!!

Kind regards

Dave

Back