• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Maternity Hospital in 1929 /1930

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Could anyone advise which maternity hospital a woman would go to from Cattell Rd in Dec 1929 / Jan 1930 when there are complications? Alternatively would such a mother & premature baby have received attention at home only?

There were many more home births than hospital births in the late20s/early 30sand in those days I think it would have been hard for doctors to predict that there would be complications.
In later years Loveday street was the hospital that women who were expected to encounter complications went to.

Thank you Alberta. The National Archives site did not identify anything under a search for "Loveday" but does refer to the Birmingham Maternity Hospital Trust at Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre B15 2TG. I understand that Birmingham City Archives hold unspecified records for Birmingham Maternity Hospital Trust for the period for pre 1948. The postcode B15 2TG refers to Metchley Park so I am confused. Could you clarify?

Back