• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Maternity Hospital Heathfield Road

Hello I am new to this forum but I am searching for my birth record from Heathfield maternity hospital. I was wondering if anyone can let me know how I can obtain this record. So the actual recording of my birth with time. Is that possible to get? Thank you. Pawan
Welcome to the Forum Pawan.............I'm not the one to help but I am sure many of the members can guide and help you!

Hello
I wonder if you could help. I’m trying to find my time of birth. I was born at Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital in October 1966.
I am trying to find out where all the hospital records are kept.

Regards

Pam
Hi I am also looking for the time of my birth. Were you able to find it? If so can you give me an idea please of how I can go about finding it?

thanks. Pawan

i believe that hospital birth records are only kept for 25 years after which they are destroyed but maybe someone can confirm this for you

I think if you search the National Archives site it will tell you if records exist and where they are kept. It is free to search.

I was born there in 1958 and my sister 1961. Mum has told us that Bourne House was where the expectant Mum's stayed until they went into labour. My Dad had visited her at Bourne House at teatime and gone round to each of the prospective grandparents to say nothing happening yet. Only to arrive home and have a phonecall to say she had been moved to Heathfield Rd as it was all happening. So he did the rounds again later.
t Heathfield Rd between feeds all the baby's were kept in cots in a room behind a glass partition. The Dads could look through the window at them. On his first visit my Dad asked if I was alright as I was the only one not crying! The nurse said that's how you want them!
I remember going with my Dad to collect my Mum and new baby sister in 1961. Mum sat in the back with me and the new baby. I was very excited to have a new baby , she gave me a little jigsaw puzzle as a present off my new sister, but I was much more interested in the present of my little sister!
After my birth I wouldn't take Mum's milk so they put her on a "milking machine "which Mum said was awful, this sounded rather industrial!

what lovely memories sunshine....thank you...sadly still no photos of the elusive heathfield road maternity hospital which i do find very odd as we are not talking that many years ago

lyn :)

Hi, if Clive Martin Carter (or Stanley) Registered Clive Martin Carter b 1/5/1962 born to Beryl Emily Carter (dec’d) at this hospital, ever gets on this site a relative in Australia is looking to make contact.
Sad about no photo of the hospital.

Last edited:
I obtained this photo of the Heathfield Rd hospital from a lady I came across whilst searching for Clive Martin Carter who was born there in 1962. She was born at the hospital in 1955 and this photo was taken in 1961. Her Father owned a shop nearby.View attachment 152819
Thank you so much for this. I was trying to find my birth time. I was born in the 60’s but I don’t think time was recorded back then. Is there any other way of finding this out. I live in cans at now. Thank you. Pawan

Thank you so much for this. I was trying to find my birth time. I was born in the 60’s but I don’t think time was recorded back then. Is there any other way of finding this out. I live in cans at now. Thank you. Pawan
Not that I know of. I would like to access records from this hospital also? As stated further back that there were papers blowing around when they pulled it down, so probably lost

Heathfield Maternity Hosp

I had my first two sons in Heathfield Maternity. The first, Stephen. was born on Feb 16 1959. Exactly 4 weeks after i had been interned because of high blood pressure. I shall never forget that day, when i went for an ante natal clinic. And the sister in charge decided i would have stay in because my blood pressure was over the 'richter scale' dont know what it was (never wanted to) but i couldn't understand why they were saying that i was so ill, I felt fine. My main worry was that i had left a pan of stew on a low light. So had to phone the corner shop, who caught my friend on her way from work, to go and turn off the gas.

Anyway i spent my first week on one of the wards complete bed rest. The the second week they transferred me to Bourne House, to be a 'lady in waiting' I was going nearly out of my mind. They kept indulging me with promises that maybe they might let me home in a couple of days - So under that pretence they managed to hold on to me until my waters broke on the morning of 16 Feb. and my son was born at 7.30 that night, dont remember much of it because they decided to fetch the gas man and knock me out. I came round to Mrs Dunbar (the surgeon) telling me that i had lovely big son (10lb 4 oz) I felt as though i had been stitched from the ankles upwards. What an experience!!! Anyway 16 days later my Bill helped me to struggle into a taxi (we didn't have cars in those days) and took me home to recuperate. It didn't end there though they had me back in at my post natal check up for another 10 days. You dont get that much for murder these days. Do you?

Our second son Michael was born there March 27 1962 - far less traumatic, because he was 8lbs 9oz - although i had all the same problems. But managed to get past my post natal without being re-interned.

Never went back to Heathfield Road, the next i heard it was being knocked down for urban renewal, and it seemed that there were patients case-notes blowing around Heathfield Road. I bet mine would have made good reading. For the blood thirsty.

Our next son, Robert, (and last) was born at Marston Green Maternity (11 yrs later) Marston Green is no longer there either - what is it about me that makes maternity hospitals close down?.
I just noticed this, a pity I hadn’t realized before that Dorothy’s child b 27 March 1962 was born a few before Beryl Carters Son Clive so they would’ve been in hospital together. Too late now I expect to communicate with Dorothy? Actually just realized Clive was Born 1/5/1962 so I was a bit out with dates!

Last edited:
I had my first child, son, John Aaron Sattar there 28th Febuary 1967 and don't remember what it looked like, other than being put in the attic.

I obtained this photo of the Heathfield Rd hospital from a lady I came across whilst searching for Clive Martin Carter who was born there in 1962. She was born at the hospital in 1955 and this photo was taken in 1961. Her Father owned a shop nearby.View attachment 152819
thank you so much for this photo...it may not be shot of the whole hospital but this is the only photo anyone has found showing any of the hospital...it looked to be in good order..shame it was demolished...

lyn

thank you so much for this photo...it may not be shot of the whole hospital but this is the only photo anyone has found showing any of the hospital...it looked to be in good order..shame it was demolished...

lyn
It was amazing really, as I came across this lady on one of the groups I belong to who happens to have been born there also. As I am from Australia she has offered to help in my search for the baby born and given away at this hospital. (Not so easy with lockdown) I suddenly realized the other day that I should post this as it gives a little bit of an idea of the hospital. Very nice from the front!

I had my first child, son, John Aaron Sattar there 28th Febuary 1967 and don't remember what it looked like, other than being put in the attic.
The baby I am searching for was given away at the hospital at the staff suggestion to a couple who wanted a baby but were too old to adopt. A Mr and Mrs Stanley. The mother had two daughters to fend for (her husband died at sea 4 years earlier) and this baby was from an affair with a married man. She couldn’t keep him as she had to work as soon as possible, her pension cut off because she had gotten pregnant etc. Anyway that’s how I “fell” onto here and hence the result the photo.
So happy it gives a little view of what it looked like .

Last edited:
hi vronicka as you said earlier the frontage of the building does look in good order but i am still amazed that so far a photo showing all of the hospital has not turned up but as i always say they are out there somewhere so fingers crossed and good luck with your search

lyn

Last edited:
Back