• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Maternity Hospital Heathfield Road

hi little one and welcome...we would love to see a photo please as quite a few of our members was born at this hospital

thank you

lyn

Last edited:
I originally posted this on here, the girl is someone I conversed with in my search for my friends brother Clive Martin Carter or now Stanley with a different Christian name maybe. Born at this hospital on 1/5/1962 to Beryl Carter née Aucott.
I know for sure that picture of the young girl outside that white house is NOT the so called heathfield road hospital...
I stood outside the house that was on heathfield rd where my sister in law had her baby in 1966.. it was just a ordinary house at the front ..the same as the house next door .. it had a small gate with the house next door and you walked in the gate and took about six steps to the front door.. where they would not let me in only the husband (my brother) so I went to the Stork public house and had a pop and waited with a few other people who could not get in to the house....so what I'm saying is it was just a ordinary house just like the one down the road from in in Trinity rd.. (and maybe the house next door was part of it.. but still a separate house. (and definitely not a hospital) there was a bus stop right beside it and a couple of houses away was the corner shop..
So people stop looking for a Hospital ..it was a house..but because it delivered babies I believe that's why people assume it was a hospital.. (like dudley rd)

Okay people I have at one time posted a very old picture of the house with the bus stop outside and the corner shop also in view... bye to you all and stay safe.

hi and yes we are all aware that heathfield maternity hospital was not a purpose built hospital like dudley road hospital...it was as you say a large house/or maybe 2 converted into a maternity hospital much the same as the sorento maternity hospital was..i think the photo you are referring to must be at least part of the hospital because we have members who remember it looking like that and the girl in the photo standing outside the door of the hospital lived just over the road from it..

as you may have read a new member has just joined us and said they have a photograph of the hospital so hopefully he/she will log back on and share it with us....would be good to see it so fingers crossed :)

lyn

Before it became Heathfield Maternity Hospital it was "Hope Lodge" at 134 Heathfield Road. This was a Magdalen Home. Maybe there's a photo of the building when it was Hope Lodge (or listed as a Magdalen Home ?) The site of the building is now a school.

Screenshot_20231105_163429_Chrome.jpg

Back