• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Maternity Hospital Heathfield Road

rowan

Born a Brummie
HEATHFIELD ROAD MATERNITY HOSPITAL

:?: Please, can anyone tell me about Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital?
Was it a workhouse at one time as has been suggested to me?Thanks alot.

heathfield maternity hospital

during the last war several large houses around the city bacame maternity hospitals probably to relieve pressure on general hospitals or an increase in birth rate. heathfield in Heathfield rd Handsworth, Bourne House in Trinity Rd ,Lordswood in Lordswood Rd Harborne and Sorrento in Wake Green rd MoseleyIt may also have enabled women to deliver in more safe conditions during air raids

Heathfield, Heathfield Road, Handsworth.

:lol: Thank you Ken H. I am interested because my Husband was born there in 1944.
robott

heathfield

the house was near Finch Rd and there is now a school on the site. mothers at term were kept at Bourne House in Trinity Rd until they went into labour when the were moved by ambulance to Heathfield-about quarter of a mile

All three of my children were born there, in 52, 58 and 60 as has been said the mums were shipped back and forth from Trinity Road. E.

sorrento

are ther any pictures of sorrento hosp at all or any info really would be interested as i was born ther in the 50s

Heathfield Road Maternity

I remember Heathfield Road Maternity hospital because my Mother
was sent there for the delivery of her first child in l936. She told me
about the fact that she stayed in Bourne House, Trinity Road and
then was moved by ambulance to Heathfield Road for the actual birth.
Sadly, by the time she arrived at Heathfield Road from Bourne
House, her baby was stillborn. She always believed it was because
of the transferring system and the time lapse involved that the baby didn't make it.
In those days people didn't seem to make much of situations like this and
she never spoke about it for years. Her baby was a full term baby boy
she named Paul.

Heathfield Maternity Hosp

I had my first two sons in Heathfield Maternity. The first, Stephen. was born on Feb 16 1959. Exactly 4 weeks after i had been interned because of high blood pressure. I shall never forget that day, when i went for an ante natal clinic. And the sister in charge decided i would have stay in because my blood pressure was over the 'richter scale' dont know what it was (never wanted to) but i couldn't understand why they were saying that i was so ill, I felt fine. My main worry was that i had left a pan of stew on a low light. So had to phone the corner shop, who caught my friend on her way from work, to go and turn off the gas.

Anyway i spent my first week on one of the wards complete bed rest. The the second week they transferred me to Bourne House, to be a 'lady in waiting' I was going nearly out of my mind. They kept indulging me with promises that maybe they might let me home in a couple of days - So under that pretence they managed to hold on to me until my waters broke on the morning of 16 Feb. and my son was born at 7.30 that night, dont remember much of it because they decided to fetch the gas man and knock me out. I came round to Mrs Dunbar (the surgeon) telling me that i had lovely big son (10lb 4 oz) I felt as though i had been stitched from the ankles upwards. What an experience!!! Anyway 16 days later my Bill helped me to struggle into a taxi (we didn't have cars in those days) and took me home to recuperate. It didn't end there though they had me back in at my post natal check up for another 10 days. You dont get that much for murder these days. Do you?

Our second son Michael was born there March 27 1962 - far less traumatic, because he was 8lbs 9oz - although i had all the same problems. But managed to get past my post natal without being re-interned.

Never went back to Heathfield Road, the next i heard it was being knocked down for urban renewal, and it seemed that there were patients case-notes blowing around Heathfield Road. I bet mine would have made good reading. For the blood thirsty.

Our next son, Robert, (and last) was born at Marston Green Maternity (11 yrs later) Marston Green is no longer there either - what is it about me that makes maternity hospitals close down?.

Aaah! that makes sense old timer - you were only there at conception - not at the delivery end! :lol:

But when they were small (and i was a bit harrassed) I used to have difficulty with their names - i would often go round the family - even call the dogs name sometimes when trying to attract their attention.

Good thing we've only got a female cat these days - as none of them look like a 'Tara' :wink:

Hi folks,
Can anyone one tell me when Heathfield Road
Maternity Hospital opened? I have a bet on with my
elder sister,who reckons she was born there,but I don't
think the place was there then,any ideas :?:

Maternity Hospital

It was there when my daughter was born in 1962 Dennis. I couldn't get a bed and went to Marston Green.

Maternity Hospital

It was there in January 1942 my brother was born there.The place was never the same since.

Maternity Hospital

Many thanks,
talk about a quick responce :D any advance on 1942? it has to be earlier
maybe in the 1920s ??

born there 1946 noone thought id survive did though im here today

Thanks for the link John, I was born there as well its a pity there are no pictures.

heathfield road maternity hospital

My eldest daughters where born there in 1955 and 1956 it was very nice place then

Memories

My Son was born there on Dec 23. 1949. At the time my Wife was 21yrs old and I was 22. We were married in 1948. I can remember I used to wave to her as I went by on the 29 bus going to work. She would sit in the window and wait for me to go by.

Happy times, Happy Memories.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Blimey perhaps we should have a Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital reunion!:D :D By the way I was born there in 1953

Good idea, I wonder if they'd open Heathfield Road school for a reunion, though, although the school was used for election voting, as I remember.

Born Heathfield Maternity Hospital, July 3rd 1966. According to mom, I may have nearly been the first bungee jump ever, as I was two weeks late (nothing new there) and mom was sure her waters breaking meant another trip to the loo. Apparently mom called out to the nurses when she went to wipe and found an extra hand waving hello.

Hi All,

My eldest daughter was born in Heathfield Maternity Hospital in 1951. There was a little pub right opposite and I remember going there with my father in law to wet the babies head

He was not so forthcoming when our 4th and last child was born. He told me to put a knot in it but I do not have a clue what he meant.

Old Boy

Wendy,

Thankyou. What a great photo which brings back memories. Whoever named the pub must have had great foresight.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Just found this thread. I too was born at this Hospital, in 1949. Dorothy Dodson's post reminded me that my Mom was "detained" for quite a long spell before my birth as she also had high blood pressure. Must be a family thing as I'm treated for high blood pressure!

Ian

Ian welcome to the Heathfield Road 'club' I was born there in 1953. I also have blood pressure.......maybe we could start another club!

Back