• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Matador pub

Claribel

master brummie
When The Matador first opened in The Bull Ring in the 60s. It was opened by the singer Frankie Vaughan, he then went behind the bar and he pulled me a lovely pint of M&B Mild. A nice happy memory.:)

The Matedor at the top of the ramp above Oswald Baileys next door to the Witzy Doo restaurant and the entrance to the shopping centre. I always found it a strange pub with most of the first floor being taken up by the staircase up to the second floor, a lot like the other pub at the other end of the shopping centre the Wandering Minstrel. I don't think a lot of thought went into any of that generation of pubs in the Bull Ring.

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Witzy Do 1962.jpg
    City Bull Ring Witzy Do 1962.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 55
matado r  bullring100_zpsd97415be   thr matador bull ring.jpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!bull ring from the ramp.jpgDoes anyone know if the Matador had a function room above it pic 1 is the Matador pic2 shows the two stories above it thanks

Bernie,
The Matador did have a function room - I know it was used by a Model Soldier Society pretty well up until was demolished.
Brian

The bar of the matador was Quite small and narrow but there was a patio which overlooked st martins, you can see the patio in your pic 1,up stairs was a large function room
where they had free and easy's and discos and private functions

crikey that photo of the matador is a blast from the past...

thanks for posting

lyn

Certainly is a blast Lyn. Never went in the Matador, but went past it several times a week using that exit from the Indoor Bull Ring and down the curling ramp.

Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

only went in the matador a few times viv but enough to remember it lol...nice to hear that it looks like making yer own could be having an upsurge... they say that what goes round comes round...

Last edited:
I can't remember ever going into the Matador and I'd completely forgot about this pub! Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
only went in the matador a few times viv but enough to remember it lol...nice to hear that it looks like making yer own could be having an upsurge... they say that what goes round comes round...

Hi Astoness,

My mate & me used to go in the Matador at lunchtime as we both worked in Woolies Bull Ring (Saturday restaurant staff), both underage a miracle we ever got served but, must admit we enjoyed one or two in there. Brew yer own, music to my ears been doing it now for over 35 years, a proper hobby with a deserving reward at the end cheers,

Lozellian.

Saturday Afternoon the good lady and I would go there for the last half hour or so on the dinnertime , inside if it was chilly outside on the porch/veranda in the sun very impersonal though

Hi everyone
It's particularly fascinating for me, having only moved to Birmingham 5 years ago, to hear about what was on the bullring site before the modern one was built.

A friend of mine and I are actually currently working on an art project about the area, talking to and recording people who have interesting memories of buildings in the Bullring and markets area that are no longer there and hopefully creating a kind of walking tour out of it.

If anyone would be interested please let me know. Buildings like the Matador, the Mayfair suite, and any other shops or streets that no longer exist are of particular interest to us.

Thanks all!
Ben

Hi everyone
It's particularly fascinating for me, having only moved to Birmingham 5 years ago, to hear about what was on the bullring site before the modern one was built.

A friend of mine and I are actually currently working on an art project about the area, talking to and recording people who have interesting memories of buildings in the Bullring and markets area that are no longer there and hopefully creating a kind of walking tour out of it.

If anyone would be interested please let me know. Buildings like the Matador, the Mayfair suite, and any other shops or streets that no longer exist are of particular interest to us.

Thanks all!
Ben

Hi Ben,

Welcome on behalf of the BHF, you should certainly find a wealth of information / knowledge from a wide variety of members; I wish you all the best with your art project.

Lozellian.

Hi everyone

Thanks all!
Ben

Hello Ben welcome , I used The Matador many Saturday afternoons in the 70's . Beneath that and too the right were Oswald Bailey's from where I bought my first pair of regular Levi's priced at £4.19s. 11d in 1965 . a couple of years later I used to buy my all leather Jodhpur boots £14.19.11 the first pair cost . Moving on I then used The Toreador pub around the corner in Edgbaston St near the Midland red bus depot . Great days all of them

Hi Astoness,

My mate & me used to go in the Matador at lunchtime as we both worked in Woolies Bull Ring (Saturday restaurant staff), both underage a miracle we ever got served but, must admit we enjoyed one or two in there. Brew yer own, music to my ears been doing it now for over 35 years, a proper hobby with a deserving reward at the end cheers,

Lozellian.
My brother dated a mixed race Asian girl from that wollies, she worked on cigarette kiosk I think. Her name was Rose. Wow her name just came to me.

Some pictures of the Matador in the 60’s and external view of the terrace (I forgot the pub had a terrace) .
source historicengland.org.uk

Attachments

• 6D63FCC1-1CB2-4FAF-9F49-CC8851885DDC.jpeg
    6D63FCC1-1CB2-4FAF-9F49-CC8851885DDC.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 36
  • A6298053-DEA3-4F3D-A772-0CD44A1B081A.jpeg
    A6298053-DEA3-4F3D-A772-0CD44A1B081A.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 34
I remember the Matador !! the firm I worked for had a cigarette machine in there , up the stairs. I used to fill it up each week. Went one week and it had gone !!! It would have taken 3 men to have got it downstairs,, it never came back again. I bet this was an inside job LOL

It was a strange sort of pub. One you maybe had a quick pint in after getting off the bus before going in to town. Maybe it was designed for Bullring shoppers but due to the then archaic pub opening hours, it wouldn't have been much benefit to a daytime crowd. Seemed even more pointless after 6pm.

Hello Ben welcome , I used The Matador many Saturday afternoons in the 70's . Beneath that and too the right were Oswald Bailey's from where I bought my first pair of regular Levi's priced at £4.19s. 11d in 1965 . a couple of years later I used to buy my all leather Jodhpur boots £14.19.11 the first pair cost . Moving on I then used The Toreador pub around the corner in Edgbaston St near the Midland red bus depot . Great days all of them
Oswald Baileys. The go to place for Jods and Levis, when you had saved enough! Bought my first pair of Jods there and put them on in the shop under my turned up Levis. Great times..

Oswald Baileys. The go to place for Jods and Levis, when you had saved enough! Bought my first pair of Jods there and put them on in the shop under my turned up Levis. Great times..
Loved that store. Bought my 2 man/person tent there and my climbing boots with Vibram soles there!

Back