• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Masons pop factory

philbee

birmingham born and bred
Can anybody tell me the location of the masons pop factory and if possible have a map or photo
thanks
phil

14 Grantham Rd, Smethwick, West Midlands, B66 4NW (I think that used to be the address anyway)

I think so too, the Mason's family home, belonging to Titus Mason, who founded the company was at 100 Poplar Road Edgbaston. It was auctioned at the Villa ground in April this year, as the owner then, a Mrs Slater, could not manage it any longer, not sure what it went for, it still had the original stained glass windows in it.
Mason's was sold to the Purity group and it still makes the Masons pop flavours.
Sue

Mason's Super Jaff - now there's a memory. It was so orange it would set a Geiger counter off. Use to get it at the outdoor in Bordesley Park Road, Small Heath. Was it 11d or 1/3d?

We worked on a short contract at Masons Bottling Plant in the 70's doing some internal demolition for alterations to the plant. I was surprised to see that although the name Masons was over the door that they bottled many different brands of pop.

That was common at that time Phil. It even applied to brands like Coke & Pepsi, some of whose production would be locally produce from syrup sent ou to the local firm

Mike

I think that it was either coke or pepsi that was one of the bands being bottled another was corona.

Hi

yep Masons pop the only one. Main pop at Tamworth Fields Trainspotting in
the 50,s.
If I remember it had a Internal Screw Plug Cap whereas the Corona had that metal
link attached to the Cap.
Agree the Orange flavour the best.

Mike Jenks

Bit of (useless) trivia: When I was a kid in the 60’s my folks had a caravan in Shobdon, Herefordshire. We went there most weekends from where we lived in Hall Green. The neighbouring caravan (bearing in mind that the caravans were scattered in a wood in those days, not nicely in rows with cut grass and flowers as they are today) was owned by the Masons pop people. Now they had two boys about the same age as me. I can’t remember the brother who was my age, but the younger one was Richard Mason. Anyway, if you are out there Richard - remember when we played and fished together? Remember me dropping a big stone in a cow pat which spattered all over you? I never apologised due to laughing, so 55 years later I would like to say sorry - ‘twas me that did the deed.....

Hi All, total newbie here.

I live in Neath, South Wales and while rummaging around our attic at home, I stumbled across this crate left by previous owners. I haven't been able to find much about it online other than a few plastic crates from the 70s bit and this forum.
I wondered if anyone had any info on Mason's and if this crate is relevant ...and a rough age on it.
The crate actually has an old cistern on top of it so I haven't been able to move it yet to get a better look! Will add pics when I do.inbound9138083885798639725.jpg

I live in Neath, South Wales and while rummaging around our attic at home, I stumbled across this crate left by previous owners. I haven't been able to find much about it online other than a few plastic crates from the 70s bit and this forum.
I wondered if anyone had any info on Mason's and if this crate is relevant ...and a rough age on it.
The crate actually has an old cistern on top of it so I haven't been able to move it yet to get a better look! Will add pics when I do.View attachment 170522
welcome to the forum

Last edited:
Ice Cream Soda now your talking. Does anyone know where Corona was produced. They had a distribution yard in Tyseley close to the Land Rover engine plant where I worked at the time.

Bit of (useless) trivia: When I was a kid in the 60’s my folks had a caravan in Shobdon, Herefordshire. We went there most weekends from where we lived in Hall Green. The neighbouring caravan (bearing in mind that the caravans were scattered in a wood in those days, not nicely in rows with cut grass and flowers as they are today) was owned by the Masons pop people. Now they had two boys about the same age as me. I can’t remember the brother who was my age, but the younger one was Richard Mason. Anyway, if you are out there Richard - remember when we played and fished together? Remember me dropping a big stone in a cow pat which spattered all over you? I never apologised due to laughing, so 55 years later I would like to say sorry - ‘twas me that did the deed.....
I think the other boys name Christian name was in fact Mason I knew him and his wife Doris in the 1970s.

The crate actually has an old cistern on top of it so I haven't been able to move it yet to get a better look! Will add pics when I do.View attachment 170522

Hi,

The crate is marked 8-60, - August 1960.

Kind regards
Dave

Back