• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mary Street School Balsall Heath

I attended Mary Street School from 1941 till 1947, then left to go to Dennis Road School. The only two teachers I remember at Mary Street, a Miss Middleton and Miss Morgan, the head mistress was a lovey women but I just cannot think of her name, Oops forgot my photos.

Attachments

• MARY STREET SCHOOL_Balsall Heath 1.jpg
    MARY STREET SCHOOL_Balsall Heath 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Mary Street School.1950s.1.jpg
    Mary Street School.1950s.1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Mary Street School.1950s.jpg
    Mary Street School.1950s.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 54
what smashing photos charlie..nice and clear as well...hopefully someone may recognise someone...

thanks for sharing

lyn

This 1923 photo is of the girls section. When it opened it would have been a substantial school with junior and senior pupils. It seems to have lost its senior students in the re-organisation of the 1920s/30s. Here's an extract from the British History online site. Viv.

MARY STREET COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Balsall Heath.(27) Mary St. Bd. Sch. opened 1 Apr. 1878 (25) by King's Norton Sch. Bd. Accom. 820 Boys, Girls, Infants (21) Fees all 1d.(22) It was the first permanent sch. in new buildings opened by the Bd.(25) Enlarged 1883. Altered and reorganized 1928–33 for Junior Mixed, Infants. Damaged by enemy action 1940. Depts. united 1944. Repaired and altered 1950.(21) Accom. 1955: 17 classrooms, hall.(28)

I attended Mary Street School from 1941 till 1947, then left to go to Dennis Road School. The only two teachers I remember at Mary Street, a Miss Middleton and Miss Morgan, the head mistress was a lovey women but I just cannot think of her name, Oops forgot my photos.
I went to Mary St school from 1952 then onto Dennis Rd. Mr Munday was the headmaster at Mary St.

Back