• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mary Street Balsall Heath

mrbluesky1957

master brummie
Hi, can you please point me in right direction for any pics after early 1900s of Mary Street, Balsall Heath. My dad was born nest door to what is called Snickers. I'm certain it was The Eagle before. After seeing google maps, it was next door to the pub. Obviously demolished, think its a care home of some sort. My gt nan also lived there till her death. I can sort house nos bak of etc. Any help would be appreciated, some fantastic help in the past. I still cannot thank you all, and the information that made the front page of The Birmingham Gazette 1929. That was a huge find, although very tragic and sad. It explained alot about my father and my upbringing. So thank you all, Lyn and Astoness and the guy who found that paper clipping.

This photograph of the Eagle Tavern was taken shortly after WW2 :

View attachment 142328
Thank you, as usual a fast reply. The partly hidden house is the one I was hoping for. From your other photo 2002 it's a care home next door. I can see from the older pic that house was in the family for a fair few yrs. Having done a fair bit of ancestry, as usual never knew much about my parents until everyone had passed away. Was always told dad was from Small Heath, he was, Arthur Street. But he was born in Balsall Heath. The newspaper clipping was an amazing find by another clever kind guy. Never bothered researching my grandfather, Harold. He died tragically on new years eve 1930. I just thought he was probably enjoying himself. The front page of the Gazette told the story I didn't want, but gave me Alot of insight. He'd been out of work for a couple of yrs. Don't know why he was living in Dudley, dad's 2 sisters were born there. His first job and it was a hell of along way in those days from Dudley to Hams Hall. There were 12 workers in the back of a wagon, freezing weather. Truck skidded on ice, all 12 were thrown from it. My grandfather was the one that died impaled on railings. There was a photo of him and my dad aged 5 on his lap. Just glad I found out after going right back but not researching him. The accident happened at Minworth, still don't know where he was buried. He left £5. So I totally understand how hard my dad's and his mom and sisters lives must of been. Hence he wanted the best for me, I didn't always agree or wanted that. Thanks for the pic, brilliant.

Welcome back mr bluesky.

A search using Mary Street will bring up posts within threads which might be of interest.See #812 on the link below. One example of what can be found. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/then-now.44065/page-41

There doesn’t appear to be a thread for Mary Street so I shall set one up for you using your previous post. Member’s May be able to help you further. Viv.
Hi Vivienne, thank you very much for your help and pics. Can see from the pics posted that the family house was next door to the old pic of the eagle. So from other pics posted, the house must have been demolished well before 2002. I have not been over that way for many years, but remember Mary Street. Thank you for re threading me a link, This is where my technology struggles a bit, where and how to post. Its a great site and looks even better than when I last used it. Can see people like Astoness are gladly still very active and others. Thank you once again for all your help, Kindest regards, Keith.

Thank you, as usual a fast reply. The partly hidden house is the one I was hoping for. From your other photo 2002 it's a care home next door. I can see from the older pic that house was in the family for a fair few yrs. Having done a fair bit of ancestry, as usual never knew much about my parents until everyone had passed away. Was always told dad was from Small Heath, he was, Arthur Street. But he was born in Balsall Heath. The newspaper clipping was an amazing find by another clever kind guy. Never bothered researching my grandfather, Harold. He died tragically on new years eve 1930. I just thought he was probably enjoying himself. The front page of the Gazette told the story I didn't want, but gave me Alot of insight. He'd been out of work for a couple of yrs. Don't know why he was living in Dudley, dad's 2 sisters were born there. His first job and it was a hell of along way in those days from Dudley to Hams Hall. There were 12 workers in the back of a wagon, freezing weather. Truck skidded on ice, all 12 were thrown from it. My grandfather was the one that died impaled on railings. There was a photo of him and my dad aged 5 on his lap. Just glad I found out after going right back but not researching him. The accident happened at Minworth, still don't know where he was buried. He left £5. So I totally understand how hard my dad's and his mom and sisters lives must of been. Hence he wanted the best for me, I didn't always agree or wanted that. Thanks for the pic, brilliant.

ahh yes i remember that newspaper article that was posted by one of our members...such a very sad story...i always say that when we start delving into our past as many of us do we have to be prepared to find out the not so nice things...always difficult but it is part of our ancestry....all the best

lyn

Hiya Lyn, didnt know how to contact you, hope yur ok? I struggle with posts and threads totally. Much better with ancestry after a few yrs now and of course yor help. I have only just worked out that you are Astoness lol, amazing. Remember you lived n Winfield House, Kingshurst. Ive been lookin back there and recognise 2 parish councillors from the past when I went to Kingshurst Comp. Moved about a fair bit now, getting older. My wife was interested in Harry Lucas School, she lived in Villa Street and attended that school. Thank you, Take care, no doubt will cross paths, Keith.

hi keith afraid i never lived in winfield house...what number villa st did the wife live at

lyn

couple of new ones i think...courtesty of carl chinn..mary st and george street.jpgmary st bath tavern.jpgmary street eagle taver.jpgmary street no 99 to 109 1961.jpg photo 1 mary st with george st..photo 2 bath tavern photo 3 eagle tavern photo 4 numbers 99 to 109 dated 1961..now who is that little girl sitting on the step and the boy playing in the road

thanks jan bit annoyed at our member lynn was at 120 so i would think 99 to 109 was almost opposite or there abouts... but we are getting closer

Lyn, its not through any lack of effort on your part!...I really appreciate it, and I'm going to look on a map to see how these matched up with my house (3 bk 100/102) . Thanks again x

getting closer lynn i will ask mike to post a map for you with the numbering on unless someone else gets there first

Back