• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mary Street, Balsall Heath. 1896

Paul CG

Brummie babby
Hi, currently I am resurching my Great Grandfather Frederick William Wilkes who was a carpenter/joiner, I believe he had his own business but can't be sure. On line I have found record of a premises at 68 Mary Street which was rented by a Frederick Wilkes from William James Morley in 1896. Does anyone have any pictures of the area which might show signage or is anyone familiar with the above names. Thank you for reading this. Paul

hi paul and welcome...we do have sections for most topics so i am moving this thread from forum tutorials to the streets section of the forum where you may get more of a reponse...if you use the search box and put in mary st i am pretty sure some photos will turn up...hope this is of help

lyn

hi paul and welcome...we do have sections for most topics so i am moving this thread from forum tutorials to the streets section of the forum where you may get more of a reponse...if you use the search box and put in mary st i am pretty sure some photos will turn up...hope this is of help

lyn
Thank you Lyn

Frederick Warren Wilkes is listed at 68 Mary St as a plumber in Kellys directory from the 1895 edition to the 1910 edition. The year is publication date and probably refers to the year before. In the 1912 edition the occupant is Mrs Sarah Ann Wilkes, also listed as a plumber, so presumably he has died and she has taken over the business. Previously it was a beerhouse (cannot be sure of the name ,but it looks like The Royal widow on the 1891 census)

There was a Frederick William Wilkes in the same sort of period, but he was a greengrocer at 123 Great Coimore St

paul if you look at mikes map again you will see that opposite no 68 is pleasant terrace...here are 2 photos showing pleasant terrace

lyn

Balsall Heath Mary Street, Pleasant Terrace (The Stores, No69, dated 1850) 11th February 1967.jpgBalsall Heath Mary Street, Pleasant Terrace. 11th February 1967.jpg

Frederick Warren Wilkes is listed at 68 Mary St as a plumber in Kellys directory from the 1895 edition to the 1910 edition. The year is publication date and probably refers to the year before. In the 1912 edition the occupant is Mrs Sarah Ann Wilkes, also listed as a plumber, so presumably he has died and she has taken over the business. Previously it was a beerhouse (cannot be sure of the name ,but it looks like The Royal widow on the 1891 census)

There was a Frederick William Wilkes in the same sort of period, but he was a greengrocer at 123 Great Coimore St
Thanks for the information, I think the Wilkes in Mary St was a different person to the one that I'm interested in. The greengrocer lead is interesting though because my Frederick William Wilkes's father William was a grocer according to some census records.
Thanks again, Paul

Thanks Mike, I think this Frederick William Wilkes is not the same person who I am resurching, but the reference to a greengrocer is interesting, the F W Wilkes who is of interest to me, his father was listed as a grocer, so quite a coincidence.
Thanks again, Paul

Here is a map (c1950) showing position of no 68

View attachment 145461
I'm new to the site and I too am researching my family history. I know that my mother's family lived at 152 Mary Street from about 1936. My Grandad had a small brass founding business at the rear of the house. His name was Herbert Henry Baker. This map doesn't go far enough down Mary Street to see number 152 and I wonder if you have one that would show this.

This thread is about Mary Street 1896, so before the time you seek. There is another thread about Mary Street, no maps, but I guess some may well be posted for you.

I'm new to the site and I too am researching my family history. I know that my mother's family lived at 152 Mary Street from about 1936. My Grandad had a small brass founding business at the rear of the house. His name was Herbert Henry Baker. This map doesn't go far enough down Mary Street to see number 152 and I wonder if you have one that would show this.
Hi, sorry I don't have any maps.

No 152 is shown in blue on the map below

View attachment 147555
Thank you that's brilliant.

Back