• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Martin Billing & Son

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
I Guys i am researching a book making company by the above name billing they was in hospital street birmingham 19 they was pre war book makers
Of Account Book manufacturuers , paper makers wholsale stationers,Engravers ,LITHOGRAPTHERS AND General Printers
They made big solid leather binding legers with embossing gold leaf writings on them on the cover of there brillient ledgers
Which was made for INN Keepers and public houses for sampling and testing casked beers and recording the state of the Ales before brewing to the public
and which was written in paraghs the land lord of such keepers of Inns
each ledger as a number written in them so when the land lord requres another ledger he could order one and they knew wich INN it was from
and inside the gather would record things such as
Brew NUM ,, GRAVITY AT SAMPLING , DEGREES ATTENUATED IN CASK , TEMPERATURE AT RACKING COLOR AT RACKING CONDITION AT RACKING
VENTED OR NOT, HOPS PER 90 LBS EXTRACT, EXTRACT PER QUARTER, EXTRACT PER QUARTER MALT, GRAVITY COLLECTED PLUS PRIMING
THESE WOULD BE PRINTED IN SECTIONS AT THE TOP OF EVERY PAGE AND THE LAND LORD WOULD HAVE TO WRITE THIS BOOK EVERY DAY
ECH PAGE AT THE TOP PRINTED THE TITLE SAMPLED,AND THE DAYS DATE AND YEAR I
AND THIS LEDGER IS DATED 3 APRIL 1940 AND EMBOSSED ON THE FRONT BINDER COVER IN GOLD LEAF EXPERIMENTAL CELLAR SAMLING

From my notes, I was researching James Baldwin, one time Lord Mayor of Birmingham.

Billing
, Martin. Founder of the firm of Martin Billing, Sons, & Co., Livery Street, died July 17, 1883, at the age of 71. He commenced life under his uncle, Alderman Baldwin, and was the first to introduce steam printing machines into Birmingham. The colossal structure which faces the Great Western Railway Station was erected about twenty-nine years ago.

Clarkie

Hi clarkie
many thanks for your reply and for your infomation behind thecompany i have five of these huge ledgers
i have contacted camra and they have given me an email address of a guy in london whom would be intrested in them
the earliest one is 1920 i have got thanks again clarkie astonian,,,

Martin Billings were the official printers for the GWR in Birmingham. Any posters or handbills originating from Snow Hill in GWR days will have been printed by them. The founders son and grandson carried on the business into the 1970s. His son lived in Oxford Road, Acccks Green

Joseph Gibbs, one of my relatives, appeared at Birmingham Boro Sessions on August 2, 1847, and was sentenced to six months in prison for stealing five quires of paper, the property of Martin Billing.
I was on the fourth floor of the library yesterday and found it in Aris's Gazette, a weekly newspaper out every Monday in the 1800s.
A quire is 25 sheets so I reckon it is 150.
Really bizarrely, I was staying at a hostel in Livery Street and, apparently, Martin Billing was based there, though I do not know what number. I was at 93-95.
I cannot understand why he would have taken paper as he was a brass founder and button maker.

In the 1845 &1849 Post Office directory :
Billing Martin, wholesale paper dealer & ornamental letter press & copper plate printer, 75 & 76 New Hall street Could this be a different Martin Billing to your relative?

In the 1845 &1849 Post Office directory :
Billing Martin, wholesale paper dealer & ornamental letter press & copper plate printer, 75 & 76 New Hall street Could this be a different Martin Billing to your relative?
Hi,
Many thanks for that.
All it said in the Aris Gazette was "property of Martin Billing" so I assumed there was only one Martin Billing. Now you seem to be saying there were two Martin Billings who sold paper?
It's very difficult to get absolute accuracy.

Back