• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marston Green & Tile Cross

hope elmdon boy spots this thread gary as he may also have his memories to add

lyn

I know there are a few shops on Marston Green, can anyone tell me if there is an angling shop there. Thanks

Jmadone I bet these photos are taking you back, it seems just like yesterday, great days jim with some long gone friends.

thanks again gary for taking the time to share your photographs with us they will stir peoples memories and get them talking about the old days:)

lyn

Film 039: HIi Lyn, and here are some more. Hopefully, I won't duplicate these! These are off one of the lanes from Elmdon Lane, possibly Newlands Lane again? I remember these stables quite well. Probably taken mid-70's A740r.jpgA742.jpgA739.jpg

Last edited:
lovely photo gary again the clarity is really good...please keep them coming as they are one offs

lyn

Film 039: A view from the very end of Elmdon lane. Originally, this looked right upon the short runway. I always remember, in winter, there would be lots of diversions from Heathrow and they would park all of the planes on the short runway. An amazing sight for a plane spotter, with lots of unusual jets (which were a rarity in those days).A732-Shrunk.jpg

Attachments

• A733.jpg
    A733.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Film 039: I can't place this but I think it might be Elmdon Lane to the left? So the runway would be off to the right, in that case.A736.jpg

Last edited:
Film 039: Views of the bridge at Marston Green Station. Includes the old bridge no longer there :( Circa mid-70'sA743.jpgA744.jpgA745.jpg

Last edited:
Film 066: More assorted Marston Green stations. I think this is *really* early as it is old 126 film so I would say late 1960's.B627.jpgB622.jpgon Green station views.

Thanks Lyn for highlighting this thread for me.
Lovely photos Gary, you were a very good photographer, impressively sharp.
Because I lived on the other side of the airport by the Wheatsheaf I tended to do my aircraft spotting from the Coventry road, the airport terminal and the public enclosure.
I never ventured over to Elmdon Lane side. Wish I had done now, would have seen the airport from a different perspective. I would have been further away from the aircraft though.
I do have memories of Marston Green station though as I tried train spotting before aircraft. I walked there through King Georges park from Sheldon, through the golf course, and up the hill to the station. I guess some of your photos are along that way.
I remember standing on the footbridge as the steam trains passed by underneath, with your head hanging over the side, making sure to keep your eyes firmly shut to prevent soot and clinkers entering. I'm sure our faces looked a mess. Great fun.
Distinctly remember the City of London roaring through whilst on the platform, going on to New Street know doubt. Looking south from the bridge was some sidings with a water tower for the steam engines wasn't there? This would have been around 1959-60.

Elmdon Boy, you are quite right about the sidings. There were a few coal wagons there and possibly a coal merchants depot as well, I can't remember the water tower but I'm sure you are right about it.

Hi Elmdon Boy, Many thanks for your kind reply. I'm just glad that I now have somewhere decent to put these images (in full resolution). I will be uploading some more over the next few weeks. It's interesting looking at them again, almost like peering through a window to the past. I'm trying to date them and I wish I had been more careful about that at the time. I'm linking to my original film reference so I know where they came from and, if I get any more info, I can cross-reference. Of course, if you can place these (or date them) more accurately, I would be very grateful. They were pretty much all taken early to late 70's as I was active at that time doing my own B&W processing.

Do you remember the person manning the signals at Marston Green Station? He'd control the gates as you could get into Elmdon Lane via the shops? You could see him operating the levers. I wish I had some of the signal box :(

We used to cycle along the line all the way to Baginton airfield. Amazing to think of that. Used to be fascinated by Baginton as you could walk by all of the offices and peer through the windows. There used to be loads of model planes hanging from the ceiling - amazing to me as I was a big Airfix modeller back then. Of course, no security in those days as people were pretty decent by and large (unlike now, sadly).

Happy days.

All the best

Back