• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marston Green & Tile Cross

Sheldon Hall 1953 and 2008.

Attachments

• Kitts Green Sheldon Hall Gressel Lane B33.JPG
    Kitts Green Sheldon Hall Gressel Lane B33.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Tile Cross Sheldon Hall 1953[1].jpg
    Tile Cross Sheldon Hall 1953[1].jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I don't know the full story, do you know whether it was a man living there, and did you ever see him?

Mr Lawley-Harrard was Old Baldy, he frequently chased us off his land. He owned the little dell over the other side of Gressel Lane too. He used to chase us off there as well.
After he died a family called Bradley(?) lived there briefly. They had a carpet/furniture shop by Tesco in Castle Bromwich, which used to be the site of the Castle Cinema.....
As has been said, Sheldon Hall is now a Pub/Carvery. The food's quite good, I'm told, I've yet to try it.

Ian

Ian,

You are spooking me out. Catching up with the Marston Green threads. On the other one you mention Whitaker, with one 't', and my husband's mother was Phyllis Whitaker. Then, on this thread, you refer to a Bradley, and I am a Bradley! My husband said that his grandfather, Thomas Henry Whitaker (1882) often referred to the The Bell, Bell Lane, Marston Green.

Ann

Ian,

You are spooking me out. Catching up with the Marston Green threads. On the other one you mention Whitaker, with one 't', and my husband's mother was Phyllis Whitaker. Then, on this thread, you refer to a Bradley, and I am a Bradley! My husband said that his grandfather, Thomas Henry Whitaker (1882) often referred to the The Bell, Bell Lane, Marston Green.

Ann

Ann, do you want more Marston Green coincidences? Today I went to visit a gentleman called Tony Coles in Hockley Heath who had enquired about wrought iron gates, that's what my son and I do. We had a chat and agreed upon what I'd quote him for and,over cup of tea, started chatting. I asked how he earned a living and found that he runs a haidressers shop in Marston Green, where he'd been for 30 years. I mentioned that a pal of mine had opened one in Marston Green a long time ago, for his wife to run and it turns out it's the same shop.
This evening I found, on this forum, some old and some modern photos of Station Road, Marston Green and there, bold as brass...Hair by Tony!
There's more. We also got onto the topic of classic cars and bikes whereupon he asked if I remembered Coles Motorcycles of Bordesley. I replied that I did, very well and that another pal of mine, who called in for a coffee on Friday evening, used to work in the stores there. He told me that it had been his Dad's business and asked me to describe my coffee visiting pal. I did and he replied Dave Kemp....bang on the button!
My turn next....I asked if he'd ever crashed an orange Bond Bug into the side of a blue Volkswagen van, Where? he asked, grinning. Tile Cross roundabout, I told him. By now his wife, son and pal were intrigued. He started to laugh and admitted to his actions. It had been my brother's van he'd driven into, 36 years ago, and his Dad's business put right all damage and fully resprayed the van! Our kid was well pleased as it had been a scruffy old thing.
It was one of the most memorable and entertaining business calls I've ever made, topped by the fact that I was there on recommendation from a pal of Tony for whom we'd made and installed wrought ironwork last summer. Apparently his words had been "Get Ian Whitaker in, you'll have a laugh with him!"
Never a truer word..........I'll get that job!
The final bit now......last year I received an enquiry for railings from an elderly gentleman living at the other end of Elmdon Lane from where I lived. You've probably guessed it...it was the other Ian Whitaker's dad!
It took five minutes to discuss business and over two hours to reminisce.
We got that job, too!

Ian

Opposite the Sheldon Hall restaurant there is still a grassed area with houses built behind it in the shape of a crescent the address of these houses is Downton Crescent, surprise!, surprise!. Len.

god that brings back memories.i used to live in shirestone road,and we were terrified of walking past baldies house.we were told it was haunted.

Hi,the B&B did used to be the local GP Surgey for Dr Mintz
The sepia photo is of Shirestone Road with Tile Cross Road at the end.
Did you live in Tile Cross yourself ?
Will try to find anything else I can send asap
Regards,Maggie

Attachments

• b & b.JPG
    b & b.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Tile Cross Shirestone Rd (3).JPG
    Tile Cross Shirestone Rd (3).JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 86
no its not just you mike. I've found thta whenever an attachment comes out on the forum reading "attachment xyzabc" in blue, i can never open it
Mike

hello and welcome Maggie Robinson,
fantastic picks i love the shirestone rd as a family i knew at 28 the tailors.
he worked for wilsons / mothers pride bakers... happy days regards dereklcg..

Pics fine now thank you Maggie. I was the driver in the bus at Marston Green in my previous posting. Have had a dabble with your postcard view but our skilled photo restorers here on the Forum will make a better job of it if you ask them.

Hi Everyone: I didn't know this was called "bauldies mansion" --I knew it as Sheldon Hall and passed it every day on my way to school at Byng Kenrick. I loved the look of it so I used to stop my bike at the gate and stand there. One day a man who was working in the grounds (he was bald); he said he'd seen me stop several times and asked if I'd like to look inside. I was terrified because my mother had told me never to go with strangers but on the other hand...I was very keen to see inside it. So I went with him (I'd have had kittens if one of my kids had done that!) and he showed me the Great Hall and the fireplace big enough to roast an ox in. He was very kind and I gathered that he was the owner. He'd wave as I went by on my bike after that.

hello i'm new at this forum but so glad i've found it, as its taken me to memory lane!! i was born in marston green and lived in stretton road in the 70s. i know unfortunately the pics have been hacked or destroyed (temporarily i hope). but if anyone has any old pics or new pics of both marston green maternity hospital and stretton road, rocky lane or aston junior primary school.. i'll be ever so grateful. many thanks : )

there are pictures of marston green maternity hospital just type it in the search bar at the top of the page.

I don't know the full story, do you know whether it was a man living there, and did you ever see him?
Yes, we saw him a few times walking round the grounds with his shotgun under his arm and 2 dogs with him. We would watch him very quietly through the hedge because everyone knew that if he saw you he would shoot you!! No questions asked!!

Marston Green in 1955. At this time the Green has a Post Office and shop, a necessary requirement of any small village. Since then several rooflines have changed, the post box has gone (as too has the Post Office at this position I expect). The large (1930s ?) pub to the left has been replaced. But a 'keep left' arrow on the roundabout is still deemed necessary! Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 70
Back