• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marston Green Hospital

Can Anyone help !!!! Both of my parents were at Marston Green Homes ( Not Chelmsley maternity hospital , that was built i believe to house soldiers in the 2nd world war ) , they were both sent there by the Workhouse , around 1918, i was hoping that i could see the archives , anyone know if its possible ?
Max

Max,
Scroll down to the bottom of this page you will see a link to an existing thread on Marston Green Homes

Colin

Hi up Colin , thanks for the help , but the link is for Kings Heath ,!

Max, scoll down as far as this page will go you will then see a number of similar threads listed, or go to the search button at the top of the page and enter Marston Green Houses.

Colin

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how i can find out information of someone sectioned
many years ago.
I would be very grateful for any help.
Thankyou
Carol

I think you maybe on the wrong thread , Marston Green was not a mental hospital .

Sorry i should have said Chelmsley Hospital,i put the message on here
because their was a lot being said abt Chelmsley Hospital.
Carol

I could be very wrong about this , but i seem to remember in the 70s that there was an institution on the corner of Moorend Avenue & Berwicks Lane.
The site of the old maternity hospital is now i believe the site of Brooklands Hospital , and Marston Green Homes , is now i think a small housing estate

Hi Max there was a thread about Marston green homes some time ago. Try putting Marston green homes in the search engine. If no succses contact Alf, he has a good knowledge of the area. BTW are you coming tomorrow.

Cheers mate ( Robert the Late ) i will have a look on that thread .

I had intended coming today ,but i had a bad nights sleep,,! Nightmares, !! , dreamt the Ex Wife was coming back to me :D:D

( seriously , not 100% , so had to go to docs, but will be looking forward to next event )

Miss Mildred Maxwell was appointed Maton for the maternity hospital in April 1948 and was there when I was born there in 1949. Residing locally, she died a few years ago, I understand having received an MBE. She has a plaque on the wall of memory within Coleshill Church grounds.

Thanks Janette, . We churched both of our kids at the church in Coleshill , Do people still do it ?

Hi Degsy,my son was born nov 1977 in marston green hospital,my daughter in 1979.would love to see your photos.

i was born there in 1972 and my sister in 73

i belive from my gran that it was used by the canadians during the war nudge nudge as she told me smiling. god rest her it still makes me smile today.

The Tivoli Cinema, Yardley where some of the Mums-to-be would catch the jokingly called "Blunder Bus" to the M/G Maternity Hospital, our Son was born there 1973. Len

My nephew was born in MG Hospital in (I think) 1964. My sister had a long stay, as new mothers did in those days.

We lived nearby, and I'm sure I went there for a blood test in 1979 when I had glandular fever, though I have no memories of the experience.

Hi Degsy

I am so pleased I found your photos. I worked at Marston Green Hospital from 1978 until my son was born in 1988, so must have been there when these photos were taken. It was a wonderful place to work - so many happy memories.
Wendy

Hi Degsy, I don't really know how to use this site, but I am so pleased to have found your photos (please see my other reply, which I think got attached to the end of the posts)?
Thanks, Wendy

I totally agree. the hospital was a fantastic place to work because it was a 'happy event' hospital although there were some wards associated with surgical problems. But glad the photo's are bringing back memories.

Degsy

My father was a Canadian soldier and a patient at Marston Green Military Hospital during the war. The padre visited my grandmother's house in Stechford and asked if the family would care to entertain some Canadian soldiers for tea one afternoon. As there were 4 unmarried sisters still at home they thought it was a good idea. My father was in the group and the rest is history. Incidentally, at that time he was not an inpatient due to war wounds but to baseball and ice hockey wounds. Very stressful on the knees!

I was born in Marston Green too as was my hubby. Mom remembers the Sister being very strict and only 1 hour per day visiting. She couldn't wait to get home and had my brother at home in 1963.
The mental health section was in the same grounds, but wired off from the maternityunit, and was still used for training in the early 1990s as a friend was there, think it had been re-named as Brooklands then though.
Sue

Hi everyone.
I am also new to Birmingham History Forum. I was born at Marston Green Hospital March 1949. I have loved reading all the stories and looking at the archive pictures of the hospital, as I have only just recently found out that I was born there. If anyone can give me a website where I can get the full history of the hospital it would be greatly appreciated.
Signed DarkAngel

Hi All. Just an aside to this thread. Back in 1950c, our cricket club - All Souls Cricket Club - were playing a match against Durex Abrasives on their ground in Marston Green. Two of the A.S.C.C. batsmen received cuts to the face from the opposition's fast bowler. Both men were ferried to Marston Green Hospital to have their injuries stitched up. They occupied adjacent cubicles. They were informed that although experienced in stitching flesh, staff were not very experienced in stitching faces. Desperate times bring desperate measures! Nevertheless a good job was carried out without subsequent scarring. Happy memories? Regards. willey

Hi Willey. Are you sure they went to MGH for treatment. MGH was not an A&E hospital, it was a maternity hospital and didn't have the facilities for stitching. While I was working there, someone walked in with chest pain and the staff dialed 999.

Degsy, Yes, absolutely certain. It was a maternity hospital at that very time, hence the problem in stitching faces. I personally played cricket for many years with the men concerned and they confirmed the details of event many times over the years. I am under the impression that they did not go to any A. & E Department but that the treatment was an unofficial bit of first aid since they were well away from any formal treatment centre. Back in those days, Marston Green was the end of the route for Midland Red buses and none of the players had yet enjoyed the luxury of car-ownership. A different world back then - people were not so rigidly bound by "rules".

Back