• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marston Green Hospital

Thank you Degsy for the photos.

My middle son was born at St Michael's Hospital in Lichfield and as he was only 4lbs 2ozs born he was taken away to Marston Green Prem and it was 14 days before I saw him again. He looked nothing like the baby I gave birth to!! He had lost so much birth weight he was like a skinned rabbit!!

I remember the walkways and they weren't covered in then. We could only veiw the baby from outside through the window and he was nearly 5 weeks old before I could hold him :( and he was 8 weeks before we could take him home :shocked: How different things are today.

This was in May 1961.

Thanks for your message. i posted more photos in my profile and will post more after research. Anyway, that is not me in the photo as I took the picture. The chap was a young lad gaining work experience with the Porters.

Marston Green Hospital was a ' happy event hospital' which means the staff where always jolly. But it did carry its headaches for those in the maintenance department who tried to maintain standards (of which I was one). And for all those who suffered.... We really did turn up the heating in the Winter months......

I had my youngest daughter there in 1991 and they were talking about demolishing it then, does anyone know what year it was demolished?

My daughter was born there in 1992 and spent 5 weeks in the prem unit, and her brother was born in Heartlands (heartless more like) in 1994, think it closed in 1993, but wouldnt swear on it.

Wendy.xxx

& Degsy. Many thanks for those pictures. My two sons where born there in 1975 & 1977, and that is when we moved up to Scotland, so it is great to see the old place again. Barry.

Thank you Degsy for the great memory lane photos . My son was born there in 1962.
After 11 hrs in labour through the night ,he decided to make a sudden appearance ,so I was transferred to a wheelchair and taken along those outside footpaths to the labour room , at a very cold and frosty 7am . But guess what ? There was no room for me at the inn ( sorry , the labour room ) . So he was born in a stable ( sorry , a stock cupboard )
The next evening a king arrived ,BEARING GIFTS .

As I said earlier , thanks for the memories .:beam::beam:

Cromwell I'm pretty sure they were, you could certainly see Chelmsley Hospital from Marston Green Maternity Hospital, but of course there was a lot of security fencing between the two, although I have a recollection children were treated/cared for at Chelmsley Hospital. I don't know anything about the memorial, would it be worth contacting the Health Authority for the area.
In 1948 my girl friend Audry Barton lived with her parents in a large house in the grounds of the hospital. I believe both her mother and father were employed in the hospital. I used to see male patients working in the grounds of the house. I lost track of the family but I did hear that Mr Barton was killed by a hit and run driver. The maternity hospital was there in the early sixties, I was doing consulting work for the hospital board and went there to see the new student accommodation block

I was born at MGH and my two son's aswell and one of them born in May 1992 what month did it close??
Regards Pip

I knew Marston Green hospital very well,most of my friends and neighbours in Chelmsley had their babies there,I chose not to have any of my 3 in hospital.
It was such a drab looking place but how hospitals have changed.

My young neighbour gave birth to a beautiful little girl ,Sophie ,this week.
When I asked if there were more girls or boys born at the time she said she would not know.She went straight to her suite in Good hope with en suite bathroom with jaqcussi.She had her baby at 10am and came home after lunch at 1.30pm.She didn't see any other mothers and babies.
We live at Bacons End but she was able to choose which hospital to give birth in.

Hi Mirfield/Oval,
my daughter was born May 1992 aswel lol

11th lol, had been in from 1st, she was 10 weeks early, she spent 5 weeks scbu. i was discharged on 18th.

More photos found of Marston Green Hospital

Attachments

• Marston Green  Maternity Hospital 1 .jpg
    Marston Green Maternity Hospital 1 .jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Marston Green Maternity Hospital as a Canadian War Hospital.JPG
    Marston Green Maternity Hospital as a Canadian War Hospital.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Degsy, I didn't realise it was that big looking at the ariel shot, and there's some grand old cars there.

I was only one from my family born at MGH -all lived in Sparkhill at time.Sadly never got the chance to revisit it ever.

Back