• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marston Green Hospital

Hello Mark, Well what a lovely surprise ! Guess who searched with you and took your photo very proudly pointing out your Dad`s initials on the plaque? We were so excited to find the plaques and his initials. So pleased that you have found this posting and that it`s made your day. Sadly I do not have any more info on the location of the plaques but I am sure that the folk on the forum will endeavour to help you in your search. Have you thought of posting the photo ? It would be nice for others to see what the plaques looked like. So good to hear that you finally made it home to Canada. Hard to believe that photo was taken 40 years ago !! Happy memories.

Thanks for this. Who was it that took the photo? I will try and find the photo and post it.
al the best Mark

Does anyone know the location of the plaque that was supposedly placed on the site of Marston Green Maternity hospital? I have walked all around Maple Leaf Drive etc, even quizzed the locals but to no avail.

I found this after a Google search, it seems the Plaque is in the Library.

www.bickenhillparishcouncil.org.uk/history/history.htmlBickenhill is an old Anglo Saxon settlement and its original name was ... Marston Green was originally part of the manor of Merestone, which was ... A Plaque commemorating this can be viewed in the village library. ... During the Second World War, a base for the Canadian Air force was built on a site off Coleshill Road.
Missing: blue

Can anyone put me in touch with Mark Linell or crimble?
Both have posted in this thread. I would like to get in touch with Mark with regards to my post titled Marston Green Nurses. The email address in his post is not recognised!
Thanks

Does anyone know where this building fits into the MG story?
It stands near an entrance to the Brooklands Hospital and at the edge of the housing development on what was the MGH site.
Was it part of MGH?

Attachments

• MG BUILDING.jpg
    MG BUILDING.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 60
Colin posted this picture of MGH in message number 39 in this topic. This confuses me because it bears no resemblance to the buildings built to house the 19th Canadian General Hospital which became the MG Maternity Hospital.

Was this an earlier hospital?

upload_2017-2-12_22-8-49.png

More on MGH ........ may be of interest/help to someone.

26/10/40
Buildings leased from Ministry of Health.
No.1 Canadian General Hospital (CGH) assigned to MG.
November 1940, approx. 140 children moved to hospital with nurses from B'ham hospitals due to air raids.

9/1/41
Canadian Nursing Sisters arrive along with first military patients.

24/11/41
No.1 CGH relieved by No.7 CGH

Summer/Autumn 1943
MG occupied by No. 16 CGH

May 1944
No.16 CGH duty in Europe, replaced by No.19 CGH

D - day, June 44
Other hospitals allocated specific responsibilities, but for MG ............... "casualties arriving from Mediterranean theatre to go to N0.19 CGH Marston Green".

Will post the source of above when - I can find it again!

Pat the photo you have shown in post 170 is the Gatehouse of Chelmsley hospital, in the 70s it was the Admin office.It is in Coleshill road.
It is still there now, the porch is smaller but it is easily identified by the ornate chimneybreast by the front door and the shape of the upstairs windows.
As far as my memory goes MG hospital didn't have any brick built buildings it was just the
prefab buildings left over from the war.
I had a minor op there in the early 70s and remember that although inside was fine the outside was so drab.All the wards were accessed along a glass veranda style corridor.

Last edited:
Back in 2008, post 32 in this thread there is mention of a book in the Central Library - "Canadian General Hospital", Kimmerly and Hamm.
This item is now found in the new Library of Birmingham, Level 4 (has to be requested at the Level 4 desk). The book is actually a photograph album put together by Earl Hann who worked in X-ray at No1 CGH MG. The album contains a small number of photos and a little commentary, dated 1941.

Thanks for this. Who was it that took the photo? I will try and find the photo and post it.
al the best Mark
Re:- The plaques that everyone is looking for. The first plaque to be removed was on the left hand gate post. This was framed and boxed and presented to one of the consultant gynaecologists who retired in the late seventies. It may have been Mr. Noble.
The other plaque was removed and is located at the new Womens Unit at Heartlands Hospital.

Can anyone put me in touch with Mark Linell or crimble?
Both have posted in this thread. I would like to get in touch with Mark with regards to my post titled Marston Green Nurses. The email address in his post is not recognised!
Thanks
Sorry just found your post. I haven't signed in to BHF for a long time. The posts at the side of the gates look wooden in the photograph and I am pretty confident that they were brick. Taller than we were. Did anyone discover their whereabouts? There was some talk of plaques being in the Marston Green Library. No contact with Mark through his email sadly not reconised

I was born at MGH in May 1951, I am trying to locate the following:
Hospital staff wore an enamel badge, the City of Birmingham coat-of-arms superimposed on a maple leaf, the symbol of Canada.
Many thanks, Mike

Attachments

• MGH Badge.jpeg
    MGH Badge.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 24
Back