• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marston Green Hospital

Hi Degsy

I am so pleased I found your photos. I worked at Marston Green Hospital from 1978 until my son was born in 1988, so must have been there when these photos were taken. It was a wonderful place to work - so many happy memories.
Wendy

Hi Degsy, I don't really know how to use this site, but I am so pleased to have found your photos (please see my other reply, which I think got attached to the end of the posts)?
Thanks, Wendy

I totally agree. the hospital was a fantastic place to work because it was a 'happy event' hospital although there were some wards associated with surgical problems. But glad the photo's are bringing back memories.

Degsy

My father was a Canadian soldier and a patient at Marston Green Military Hospital during the war. The padre visited my grandmother's house in Stechford and asked if the family would care to entertain some Canadian soldiers for tea one afternoon. As there were 4 unmarried sisters still at home they thought it was a good idea. My father was in the group and the rest is history. Incidentally, at that time he was not an inpatient due to war wounds but to baseball and ice hockey wounds. Very stressful on the knees!

I was born in Marston Green too as was my hubby. Mom remembers the Sister being very strict and only 1 hour per day visiting. She couldn't wait to get home and had my brother at home in 1963.
The mental health section was in the same grounds, but wired off from the maternityunit, and was still used for training in the early 1990s as a friend was there, think it had been re-named as Brooklands then though.
Sue

Hi everyone.
I am also new to Birmingham History Forum. I was born at Marston Green Hospital March 1949. I have loved reading all the stories and looking at the archive pictures of the hospital, as I have only just recently found out that I was born there. If anyone can give me a website where I can get the full history of the hospital it would be greatly appreciated.
Signed DarkAngel

Hi All. Just an aside to this thread. Back in 1950c, our cricket club - All Souls Cricket Club - were playing a match against Durex Abrasives on their ground in Marston Green. Two of the A.S.C.C. batsmen received cuts to the face from the opposition's fast bowler. Both men were ferried to Marston Green Hospital to have their injuries stitched up. They occupied adjacent cubicles. They were informed that although experienced in stitching flesh, staff were not very experienced in stitching faces. Desperate times bring desperate measures! Nevertheless a good job was carried out without subsequent scarring. Happy memories? Regards. willey

Hi Willey. Are you sure they went to MGH for treatment. MGH was not an A&E hospital, it was a maternity hospital and didn't have the facilities for stitching. While I was working there, someone walked in with chest pain and the staff dialed 999.

Degsy, Yes, absolutely certain. It was a maternity hospital at that very time, hence the problem in stitching faces. I personally played cricket for many years with the men concerned and they confirmed the details of event many times over the years. I am under the impression that they did not go to any A. & E Department but that the treatment was an unofficial bit of first aid since they were well away from any formal treatment centre. Back in those days, Marston Green was the end of the route for Midland Red buses and none of the players had yet enjoyed the luxury of car-ownership. A different world back then - people were not so rigidly bound by "rules".

Degsy, sorry mate but a maternity hospital certainly would have the facilties for stitching.

Incidently I did volunteer work at Chelmsley hospital and we often took male patients there for various treatments. mainly injections and X Rays.

I am asthmatic and was once sent there for a chest X Ray.

Hi All.
Sorrry for the delay. I am trying to upload pics but its not working.
Derek

Attachments

• Corridor.jpg
    Corridor.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Horseshoe 3[1].jpg
    Horseshoe 3[1].jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:
Re Canadians at Marston Green Hospital. A friend of mines father was with the Canadians at MGH during the war. His father had told him of the maple leave plaques either side of the gates at the entrance and that some of them had scratched their names on them. When we looked very closely we found his fathers name still there some 20 years later. I wonder what happened to those plaques ?

Re Canadians at Marston Green Hospital. A friend of mines father was with the Canadians at MGH during the war. His father had told him of the maple leave plaques either side of the gates at the entrance and that some of them had scratched their names on them. When we looked very closely we found his fathers name still there some 20 years later. I wonder what happened to those plaques ?

"Crimble"
My name is Mark LINNELL and I live in Alberta Canada.
Your entry above has my interest. My father William LINNELL was a Canadian Soldier stationed at the Marston Green hospital with the Canadian Forces during WW11. Luckily he married my mother Margaret Dudley who lived in Marston Green. Any way. I was born in the Marston Green maternity hospital on July 30th 1950. I joined the Royal Marines in 1966 and Mom and Dad went back to Canada in 1967. My Dad had mentioned that he had inscribed his initials in one the Maple leaf plaques at the main gate. On one occasion I went there and found his initials WHRL (William Hubert Richard LINNELL), and I have a photo of that day with me pointing at his Initials. I too would like to know where the plaques are with a mind to purchase that particular one or a least have a close up photo of. My parents have since passed away and myself and my brothers would love something like this. Of note after leaving the Royal Marines in 1980, I came back home to Canada and my parents and brothers. I then joined the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and I retired in 2011 after 31 years service. Any info that you may have or anyone else, please reply here. Thank you, you have made my day.
Regards, Mark LINNELL.

Nothing to do with Canadian soldiers at MGH, but our two sons where born therewhile we lived in Chelmsley Wood back in the '70s. I really hope someone, somewhere can help in your search Mark. It would really be great for you. All the best for success in your quest. Barry.

Hi Mark: Greetings from a Brummie living in Vancouver. I read through the Marston Green Hospital threads sometime ago and had another look at them this am. One of our ex-forum members made mention of the fact that plaques from Marston Green regarding when the place was part of the Royal Canadian Medical Corps hospital during WW2
had been taken by the Western Front Association. The WFA have a very active website with a Contact tab. https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/birmingham.html
They may have some knowledge about the plagues and also the signed gate posts. It's worth a try to contact them. Good luck.

Hi Mark: Greetings from a Brummie living in Vancouver. I read through the Marston Green Hospital threads sometime ago and had another look at them this am. One of our ex-forum members made mention of the fact that plaques from Marston Green regarding when the place was part of the Royal Canadian Medical Corps hospital during WW2
had been taken by the Western Front Association. The WFA have a very active website with a Contact tab. https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/birmingham.html
They may have some knowledge about the plagues and also the signed gate posts. It's worth a try to contact them. Good luck.

Thank you both, I will endure. Mark

Hello Mark, Well what a lovely surprise ! Guess who searched with you and took your photo very proudly pointing out your Dad`s initials on the plaque? We were so excited to find the plaques and his initials. So pleased that you have found this posting and that it`s made your day. Sadly I do not have any more info on the location of the plaques but I am sure that the folk on the forum will endeavour to help you in your search. Have you thought of posting the photo ? It would be nice for others to see what the plaques looked like. So good to hear that you finally made it home to Canada. Hard to believe that photo was taken 40 years ago !! Happy memories.

Back