• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marston Green Hospital

I was born in Marston Green Hospital April 1954. My father was demobbed and worked in the Raleigh factory. My mother came from Aberdeenshire and returned when I was a couple of months old. I have never been to the area I was born but would dearly love to. Is it worth a trip? Is there information I can gather? A museum, the hospital, anything?
If you start reading at post 1 then you will find the hospital has been demolished.

I was born in Marston Green Hospital April 1954. My father was demobbed and worked in the Raleigh factory. My mother came from Aberdeenshire and returned when I was a couple of months old. I have never been to the area I was born but would dearly love to. Is it worth a trip? Is there information I can gather? A museum, the hospital, anything?
hi lomiklor and welcome..as janice has already said if you read this thread from the beginning of post 1 the hospital was demolished in the early 90s but there are some photographs of it..do you know where your parents were living when you was born...if you have an address the street or road may still be there..this info could be on your birth cert..

lyn

Small World. I worked at Marston Green Maternity Hospital ‘64 - ‘68 in the Path Lab. my boyfriend/fiancé/ husband lived at 82 Millington Road. His relatives - uncle, aunt and 3 boy cousins all ended up in BC Canada. Mike, the eldest cousin (76) still lives there now in Montreal after retirement from Canadian Royal Airforce.

Can someone help me please? I am researching my friends mother who worked at Chelmsley Hospital in the mid 1960s. She qualified at Worcester Infirmary but according to letters we have found she was the youngest sister there and The Matron at the time wanted her to qualify as a Sister Tutor?. Sadly letters are not dated but her name then was Pat (Patricia) Flavin, she was from Limerick in Ireland and we are trying to find out anything about her life. She sadly passed away before we knew any of this ... Did anyone on here work there then or recognise the name? from reading previous threads it seems it was a Mental Hospital is that correct?

Any info would help... Thanks
Hi I worked in the Path Lab at Marston Green Maternity 64-‘68. Chelmsley hospital, next door to Marston Green was a mental hospital and once a week path lab staff were required to visit their wards to take any bloods that were needed for testing.

Hello. I was doing some research and noticed the site and a post mentioning Marston Green Maternity Hospital, so stopped in to visit.

I was born at Marston Green Maternity Hospital on May 31st, 1952. My first year of life outside the womb was spent living in Millington Road, Castle Bromwich, before we moved to Erdington where I grew up until choosing to emmigrate.

My parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins were born and raised in Aston and later in Erdington.

Many families were assigned to Marston Green for child birth in those days. As I understand it, the area in which the family lived, dictated the hospitel where we were born in those days. There wasn't really a choice, except for having home births.

I immigrated to Canada in 1974 and married a Brummie girl from Stockland Green who I'd never met, until she visited England in 1974, to attend the wedding of her cousin who was a friend of mine. She had immigrated to Canada in 1969, with her parents, rounding out her family members here. Love at first sight does funny things!

We had never met, despite me having lived less than half a mile away and having gone to Marsh Hill Boy's Technical Grammar School, with one of their next door neighbour's boys.

She had attended Stockland Green Comprehensive School, on opposite side of the site and lived in Lambourn Road. Quite literally, we likely passed one another walking to and from school.

In my early teens, I worked just around the corner in a Moyle and Adams grocery store on Stockland Green after school, with a boy who lived in the house on the other side of where my wife, now of 47 years lived.

It wasn't until some years later, that I learned that Marston Green Maternity Hospital had been a Canadian Forces establishment, which is fitting since I've lived in Canada since 1974 and became a citizen in 1978. I visited the hospital grounds simply to visit my birthplace, on one trip back to England to visit my parents many years ago.

Was it fate or just dumb luck that I'd end up in Canada? I guess that I'll never know! My wife's name is Sue and wouldn't you know that one day about six or seven years ago, we gave some gold fish from our pond to another Sue Smith, who had grown up on Castle Vale, right across the Chester Road from where I had worked at Pressed Steel Fisher (Jaguar) from 1968-1971. It really is a small world!

BTW, there was a photo of the main entrance to the hospital building, posted on the Birmingham Forums, some years ago.

Regards,
Martin Smith
Mission, British Columbia, Canada
Small World. I worked at Marston Green Maternity Hospital ‘64 - ‘68 in the Path Lab. my boyfriend/fiancé/ husband lived at 82 Millington Road. His relatives - uncle, aunt and 3 boy cousins all ended up in BC Canada. Mike, the eldest cousin (76) still lives there now in Montreal after retirement from Canadian Royal Airforce.

I do believe that this was knocked down and is now an housing estate but someone wanted to now where the memorial plaque went to for the soldiers who were patients in the hospital in WW1 went to.
Might be a bit of subject but can someone tell me if Marston Green hospital and Chelmsley Hospital were in the same grounds ?

The two hospitals were close to one another Marston Green Maternity was on Berwicks Lane Chelmsley Hospital was on Coleshill Road.
My sister had a DNT op at the Maternity Hospital around 1976. We lived around the corner.
New houses were built on the site wouldn't call it an e4state exactly as they sold for 250k to 300k in the noughties. There were a lot of break ins whilst being built piping plumbing stolen some buyers unaware that they were next to Chelmsley Wood estate the biggest estate in Europe.

Comment. From CK51 regarding matron at Marston Green Maternity, Mildred Maxwell.
A formidable lady indeed. She ruled not only the nurses with a rod of iron but the whole work force (I was a lab technician). But she did throw exceptional staff “dos” I recall one held at Elmdon Hotel by the Airport, where a whole poached salmon was on the buffet table. What luxury. Also an event held at the hospital itself which I still have the invite to.

973B1E8A-AD4E-426F-AA46-5A72A2AD7175.jpeg

Attachments

• DCA6258D-2E3F-470E-ACB3-ABFA87B063F3.jpeg
    DCA6258D-2E3F-470E-ACB3-ABFA87B063F3.jpeg
    719.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I had both my children in marston green hospital in 1982 and 1983, was very well looked after having spent 10 days back then due to having cesarian sections.

Comment. From CK51 regarding matron at Marston Green Maternity, Mildred Maxwell.
A formidable lady indeed. She ruled not only the nurses with a rod of iron but the whole work force (I was a lab technician). But she did throw exceptional staff “dos” I recall one held at Elmdon Hotel by the Airport, where a whole poached salmon was on the buffet table. What luxury. Also an event held at the hospital itself which I still have the invite to.

View attachment 178526
I remember her well with her Spaniel "Timothy".

The two hospitals were close to one another Marston Green Maternity was on Berwicks Lane Chelmsley Hospital was on Coleshill Road.
My sister had a DNT op at the Maternity Hospital around 1976. We lived around the corner.
New houses were built on the site wouldn't call it an e4state exactly as they sold for 250k to 300k in the noughties. There were a lot of break ins whilst being built piping plumbing stolen some buyers unaware that they were next to Chelmsley Wood estate the biggest estate in Europe.
The Maternity hospital was built by Canada as Canadian War Hospital during WW2. It was constructed of hollow bricks which provide better insulation. The othe hospital was originally The Cottage Homes orphanage. Then, whem it was decided to hospiralise people with a learning disability, it became Chelmsley Hospital.

I was born there in 82 and lived near it till my mid 20’s. Played on the site after it closed/before they knocked it down and then had friends live in the new houses built right on top of it.

Back