• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marston Green Hospital

Hi,

What I find interesting is that the legend around the Badge says Marston Green Maternity
Hospital Birmingham, when it was never in Birmingham, -a bit like Birmingham Airport
and the Birmingham NEC.

A great hospital, both my kids were born there, and I couldn't speak too highly of the
care given.

Kind regards
Dave

I'm another one out of Marston Green Hospital, my parents lived in Handsworth not far from the New Inns at the time.

I had my eldest son there, not knowing anything at all about it's history (I wish I had ) but told everyone it was just like staying in an army barracks! However the staff and atmosphere were marvellous, so much so that after spending 6 days there I didn't want to go home! I'll always have lovely memories of the place.

Hi everyone, I found two more photos on the internet of Marston Green Hospital , am I able to screen shot them and post on here for everyone to enjoy?
Wendy

yes please do wendy

lyn

Oh Lyn i am so sorry, just found the two photos I had found already on page 4 :( but I am still looking online, my son was born there in 1976 and I thought it was a lovely hospital even though it was old. I had my daughter first in Solihull hospital and refused to go back there, my experience at Marston Green was the total opposite to the one I had at Solihull.:) Still looking for more photos.

Both the Marston Green maternity hospital and Chelmsley hospital have dissappeared,a few of the old 'Houses' have been kept to provide homes for residents who are not able to live in the community.
Both sites now are given over to new houses and one of the new roads is Maple Leaf Drive.
I lived in Coleshill Road Marston Green until a few years ago.. The main entrance to the hospital now leads to a business park with several office blocks, but the church and the 'mortuary' next door are still standing but are indeed now offices.

Pat the photo you have shown in post 170 is the Gatehouse of Chelmsley hospital, in the 70s it was the Admin office.It is in Coleshill road.
It is still there now, the porch is smaller but it is easily identified by the ornate chimneybreast by the front door and the shape of the upstairs windows.
As far as my memory goes MG hospital didn't have any brick built buildings it was just the
prefab buildings left over from the war.
I had a minor op there in the early 70s and remember that although inside was fine the outside was so drab.All the wards were accessed along a glass veranda style corridor.
It is not there now. This is now a business park and there are office blocks right on the entrance. The Church and mortuary are still there but they too are offices.

Hi,

What I find interesting is that the legend around the Badge says Marston Green Maternity
Hospital Birmingham, when it was never in Birmingham, -a bit like Birmingham Airport
and the Birmingham NEC.

A great hospital, both my kids were born there, and I couldn't speak too highly of the
care given.

Kind regards
Dave
You are right. I lived in Marston Green for nearly forty years, Chelmsley Lane and then Coleshill Road. On our deeds it said the parish of Bickenhill, Which is Solihull, as is B'ham Airport and the NEC.

You are right. I lived in Marston Green for nearly forty years, Chelmsley Lane and then Coleshill Road. On our deeds it said the parish of Bickenhill, Which is Solihull, as is B'ham Airport and the NEC.
Marston Green has B37 postcode with a postal address ‘Birmingham B37 etc’ and is Meriden parliamentary constituency as is Castle Bromwich and Knowle, the latter having B93 postcode. Local Government reorganisation in the 1970s is to blame as West Midlands became an administrative authority as well as a geographic place. Knowle and Solihull used to be in Warwickshire and Solihull is a different parliamentary constituency from Knowle. Marston Green may have been in Warwickshire before the reorganisation as was Chelmsley Wood before houses were built on it.

Marston Green has B37 postcode with a postal address ‘Birmingham B37 etc’ and is Meriden parliamentary constituency as is Castle Bromwich and Knowle, the latter having B93 postcode. Local Government reorganisation in the 1970s is to blame as West Midlands became an administrative authority as well as a geographic place. Knowle and Solihull used to be in Warwickshire and Solihull is a different parliamentary constituency from Knowle. Marston Green may have been in Warwickshire before the reorganisation as was Chelmsley Wood before houses were built on it.
Yes, that is quite right.. However, Marston Green is still Solihull, to whom we paid our council tax and I worked for Solihull LEA

Hi

Chelmsley Wood was still part of Warwickshire after it was built up, and for quite a while after.
In those days we paid rent to Birmingham, but rates (Council Tax) to Warwickshire.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi

Chelmsley Wood was still part of Warwickshire after it was built up, and for quite a while after.
In those days we paid rent to Birmingham, but rates (Council Tax) to Warwickshire.

Kind regards
Dave
That's right Dave, because Birmingham actually had the house built, hence they collected the rent. I do not know if Solihull have now taken over the properties too. Council tax is still paid to Solihull.
I was born in Solihull and myself and my brother and friends used to go on our bikes for days out and have picnics in the bluebell woods - now Chelmsley Wood estate. It covered a huge area and it was so easy to get lost!
Now I can't even ride a bike!! Do you live in that area? We, four generations, moved to Tenbury Wells and I still go to Marston Green to have my hair cut!
Kind Regards Carol

Dave Grey? Unless Hazel has sold since we left. Known them both for donkey's years, can't remember how long We all went to Marston Green Club, Dave was President at one time.. He must have been a little boy in the 50's?

Dave Grey? Unless Hazel has sold since we left. Known them both for donkey's years, can't remember how long We all went to Marston Green Club, Dave was President at one time.. He must have been a little boy in the 50's?
Sent you a message.

That's right Dave, because Birmingham actually had the house built, hence they collected the rent. I do not know if Solihull have now taken over the properties too. Council tax is still paid to Solihull.
Do you live in that area?
Kind Regards Carol

Hi Carol,

Yes, Solihull took over the area in the 80s, so both rent and Council Tax payable to Solihull.
I lived in Chelmsley Wood Area 11 which became part of Smiths Wood for 48 years, and
never paid Solihull rent, as I bought my house in 1979 from Birmingham. I left there 3 years
ago, and moved to Scratby in Norfolk.

Kind regards
Dave

My first son was born at mars ton green the midwife was a girl I went to school with her name was Linda Barton I wonder if anybody knows what became of Linda

Back