• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marston Green Cottage Homes 1920's

P

patricianuk

Hi, I am a newbie and not even a Brummie - but my Dad was. He and his brother were orphaned when my Dad was about 6 or 7 and they were brought up in the Cottage homes at Marston Green during the mid 1920s. Does anyone know anything about the Cottage homes? I'm at a complete loss as Dad died in 1995 and I only found this much information after Mum passed away a month ago. I know quite a lot about Mum's family but next to nothing about Dad's - we think that my brother and I may be the last in the line to be born 'Newton'. Thank you.

Pat from Doncaster, Welcome

Hello & Welcome Pat & Condolences for recent loss of Mom :)
Welcome from Brum to Doncaster,, your Dad a nipper in Brum
you,re sure to get loads of help from ppl on here ,,
May i suggest that you post your Dads Name & date of birth (approx Ok)
and you have already stated mid 1920,s Cottage Homes, Marston Green,
Post it in the "Surnames" section &/or Trying to Find sections,
Put as much as you know , all little clues do help,

ps Marston Green is right near Nat Exhibition Centre & close to Airport,
Sure someone on here will have info on the Orphanage(s) situ there.
Cheers John Y :cool:

Hi welcome to the forum, from an ex-pat downunder.:)

Try this 'Thread on the Forum' , it has some good information about viewing records on the 'M/G /C Homes' also some pic's of the 'Homes':
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1352&highlight=Cottage

Also try putting a 'Keyword' into the search box top of the page (click the arrow). Something like "Marston' or' Cottage' and you will get other threads with info' of the subject and area come up.

Hope this helps ... Good Luck:)

Pom :angel:

Hi Pat,

My Grandad was in Marston Green Cottage Homes from 1916 to 1924.
he was first admitted to the Aston Union workhouse and from there to Summer Hill Terrace (Just round the corner from the Birmingham library). They were trying to keep children out of the workhouse by this time and it seems to me that Summer Hill Terrace was temporary until they placed the child in a permanent home.
My grandad didnt talk much about his time there but he did mention he used to mend shoes for ages and hated it, but that could have been the workhouse. Social services will look at the records on your behalf but it does take a while.
If you click on 'images' on the google home page at the top and type in marston green cottage homes, the first two pictures are of the homes.
I wonder if they knew each other ? I like to think my grandad had lots of friends there.

Birmingham Reference Library (Heritage or Archives) has a big collection on Marston Green Cottage homes including annual reports.

Back