• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marson Families

bombed out brummie

master brummie
Hi, This is my first posting on this site. Does anyone know where I can find old photos of Great Barr Street, Glover Street, Palmer Street, Westley Street. & Watery Lane. Bordesley. I am writing the family history of the Marson Families who lived in this area in the 1800's and beyond the 1940's. I came from Small Heath and know the area well, as I had a paper round down Garrison Lane in 1954. I lived in Greenway Street, but at the time before I started the family history I never thought to take pictures. Also if there are any relatives of the Marson & Earley/ Hurley families, I would love to hear from you. Thank's for reading this post.

hi and welcome to the forum...have you tried using the search box yet as i am pretty sure there will be old photos of most of the streets you are looking for..know for certain there are some of watery lane because i posted them and there are quite a lot

all the best

lyn

A couple of photos in the posts below ...
Pat,
I understand that this is a photo of Greenway Street before it was demolished, I've had a quick look and I cannot see where it has been posted before so I'll assume it hasn't.
index.php

On an unknown date someone had decided to photograph the back of 12 Glover Street and folks living there stood and watched. Maybe the open area led to the nearby canal.
index.php
edit additions below
a new one to me...the barrel watery lane/kingston road dated 1956
index.php

lyn

Watery Lane and what looks like No 6 on the entrance to a courtyard where the women are standing and maybe a pub on the corner.
index.php

shoothill

Last edited:
Thank you to Phil for the photo of Greenway Street, although I already have that from Pat a few years ago, if it's the same Pat I know who also lived in Greenway Street. I lived two doors up to the right of the man standing by the lampost

Hi, This is my first posting on this site. Does anyone know where I can find old photos of Great Barr Street, Glover Street, Palmer Street, Westley Street. & Watery Lane. Bordesley. I am writing the family history of the Marson Families who lived in this area in the 1800's and beyond the 1940's. I came from Small Heath and know the area well, as I had a paper round down Garrison Lane in 1954. I lived in Greenway Street, but at the time before I started the family history I never thought to take pictures. Also if there are any relatives of the Marson & Earley/ Hurley families, I would love to hear from you. Thank's for reading this post.
Hi - I've been researching my family history: my grandmother's maiden name was Marson. Born 1897. Lived 1/146 Little Green Lane... Her father: Charles Marson; His father: Richard Marson... Wondering if there is any family connection here?

Hi - I've been researching my family history: my grandmother's maiden name was Marson. Born 1897. Lived 1/146 Little Green Lane... Her father: Charles Marson; His father: Richard Marson... Wondering if there is any family connection here?
Hi JDT55. Thanks for your reply. I have been tracing the Marson family for close on 30 years. I have a few Charles Marson's on the tree but the only one born in 1896 was a William Charles. My grandfather was a Richard Marson, born in 1880, who I lived with until I was 13, but he did not have any son's called Charles. The Charles I have are, one born 1812 he married Caroline Horton in 1833, one in 1843 he married Esther Brakewell, and one in 1866, he married Ann Harrison. My grandfather Richard married Elizabeth Hurley. Did your relatives ever live around Great Barr Street ? I am assuming, rightly or wrongly that your 2x great grandfather was married to Rose? and they had daughter's Lily baptised in 1898, Rose in 1897, and a son Charles, 1899 in St Andrews, is that correct ? They were living in Green Lane at that time, but as far as I know they are not connected to my tree. Please feel free to continue this correspondence if you think of anything else, or if you think I can help. Regards

Hi JDT55, Sorry, I think I replied in the wrong place earlier. Thank you for your reply. I have been tracing my Marson family tree for close on 30 years. I have a few Charles Marson's on my tree but the only one born near 1897 is a William Charles born 1896. My grandfather was a Richard Marson, born in 1880 who I lived with until I was 13, but he did not have a son called Charles. The Charles I have are, Charles born 1812 he married Caroline Horton in 1833, Charles born 1843 he married Esther Brakewell and Charles born 1866 he married Ann Harrison, My grandfather Richard, married Elizabeth Hurley. Did your Marson's ever live around Great Barr Street? I am assuming rightly or wrongly, that your 2x great grandfather Charles, married Rose? and they had children baptised in St Andrews, Lily in 1898, Rose 1897 and Charles 1899, is that correct? They were living in Green Lane at that time, but as far as I know there is no connection to my Marson's but I am prepared to be corrected. Please feel free to continue this correspondence if you think of anything else, or if you think I could help. Regards Bombed out Brummie

Hi - Many thanks for getting back to me. Yes, your deduction is correct! I'm finding there are numerous Marson strands around that area at that time. No, we have no links around Great Barr Street as far as I have found in my searches. It's a fascinating journey we're all taking. Through Rose Marson (snr) - my great-grandmother, nee Robotham, I've managed to trace back to the 16th century, but it's Charles & Richard Marson where the trail goes cold...
Hope your searches and discoveries continue well - if I find anything which may be related to yours I'll certainly be back in touch. Regards, JDT55

I think you do have links to Great Barr St. I think Charles Marson was registered Jun qtr 1869 Aston, the illegitimate son of Richard Marson & Sophia Brooks.

Charles is listed with his mother & brothers as Brooks in 1871 Bordesley.

Sophia listed as Brooks is living at 33 Great Barr St in 1881 with as son and 2 daughters (inc Jane b1874).

In 1891 Sophia is with Richard listed as Marson at Leopold St with a daughter, Jane b1874.

Sophia has a number of children, most listed as Brooks with no mmn. Two, including Charles, are listed as Marson mmn Brooks. Not sure if they all Richard's.

I can't see any marriage between the two and Sophia's death seems to be listed as Brooks.

It is possible that Richard is in prison in Gillingham in 1881.

There is a newspaper report in the Birmingham Daily Post, 1 Jan 1875. It appears that a Richard Marson got 20 years for stabbing a man in Latimer Street. Can't be certain if it's relevant and the search results can be a bit garbled.

There appear to be some corresponding crime register records, giving an appropriate dob. And there are other earlier records as well.

Last edited:
I think you do have links to Great Barr St. I think Charles Marson was registered Jun qtr 1869 Aston, the illegitimate son of Richard Marson & Sophia Brooks.

Charles is listed with his mother & brothers as Brooks in 1871 Bordesley.

Sophia listed as Brooks is living at 33 Great Barr St in 1881 with as son and 2 daughters (inc Jane b1874).

In 1891 Sophia is with Richard listed as Marson at Leopold St with a daughter, Jane b1874.

Sophia has a number of children, most listed as Brooks with no mmn. Two, including Charles, are listed as Marson mmn Brooks. Not sure if they all Richard's.

I can't see any marriage between the two and Sophia's death seems to be listed as Brooks.

It is possible that Richard is in prison in Gillingham in 1881.
I have a copy of Charles Marson's birth certificate - born 25th March 1869 at Mount Street, Aston. The birth was registered in April which would explain the Jun qtr reference. Father: Richard Marson is a labourer & Mother is recorded as Sophia Marson (formerly Brookes)... Thanks for the information - the plot thickens!

It just means Alberta as a moderator has moved the thread on Sept 29th. Not sure where from but now in M - P of surnames.
She has done it on quite a few threads recently.

Hi, this particular post was on a Genealogy sub section and I have been moving posts from there to the appropriate sections to tidy up the forum.
The reason I put the date is so that it comes to prominence on the surname thread.
Thanks for explaining Janice, my fault really, I shall have to say where they come from on other I move.

Last edited:
hi bombed out brummie if we moved a thread to a more appropriate section of the forum we also tick a box to send a message to members who have posted on that thread to let them know that way if anyone posts on that thread you will still be notified

lyn

Back