• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

Yes, my year did Modern Maths too, I'm afraid it lost me somewhere along the way!
I liked the teacher but I really couldn't understand it very well and any homework or exams I had to guess most of the answers. It got to the point where myself and a few other girls were allowed to drop maths completely so we could 'concentrate on our other subjects' - what a relief!
Strangely enough, I am actually good at arithmetic, I could add up quite quickly in my head, even in the old pounds, shillings and pence. Arithmetic is alot more logical!

I agree on the general intent of the types of schools. I believe that at the time I entered Marsh Hill, change was already in the wind towards that direction within our school, but the timing was too soon for the intent to be fully enacted during my time. I did however, receive a good education overall.

There was a switch to Modern Mathematics as it was known at the time, which was more aligned with technical and engineering needs. Technical drawing and the mathematics did prove useful later, while working at Pressed Steel Fisher and attending Erdington Technical College.

During second year, my home room # 6 was converted to a language laboratory, where each student sat with tape recording apparatus in a relative cubicle, donning headphones and mics to interact with the teacher. There was direct questioning in French, or German for those who chose that alternative. So, that was another technical development, even for an academic topic.

I wonder what changes the girls experienced, to their curriclum.
Hi , I attended 67-74

by then you could do French (compulsory) German, Russian, Latin, I think Spanish and conversational Italian at an after school club, a classmate, Teresa Devlin took them all...
, in maths we had Mr Smith for years 1-4 but sadly he left as we went into year 5 and O levels, the replacement teacher was Indian a d had such a strong accent we litteraly couldn't understand him. When we kept having to ask him to repeat things he got mad, I was always in group 2 so not too of class but good overall, when we took our mock exam only 3 in the whole year passed!! So we were given the option of not taking maths, even though it was crucial for many jobs, well of course majority said they didn't want to take it, why wouldn't you... But years later I got a job in accounts and passed the entrance test easily, after all who ever has used sines, cosines, tangents, a slide rule, and algebra since leaving school?

The only lesson I found truly engaging was German. This was mostly down to the teaching of Miss Wilkinson. She used more practical ways of teaching like reading German magazines and a conversational approach, with less banging on about the grammar. We were also part of an exchange visit with a school in Cologne. We even had German names allocated, mine was Katchen (with an umlaut above the ‘a’ but can’t find it on the keyboard!)

Think I mentioned before that my Dad told me to take German as an option. I never realised it until recently that German was regarded as the language to study if you planned to work in engineering. Viv.

Yes, my year did Modern Maths too, I'm afraid it lost me somewhere along the way!
I liked the teacher but I really couldn't understand it very well and any homework or exams I had to guess most of the answers. It got to the point where myself and a few other girls were allowed to drop maths completely so we could 'concentrate on our other subjects' - what a relief!
Strangely enough, I am actually good at arithmetic, I could add up quite quickly in my head, even in the old pounds, shillings and pence. Arithmetic is alot more logical!
That was very much my experience at the boys' school too. There were no options between Modern Maths and prior teachings. I started at the top of my class and slowly but surely deteriorated to average!

I am pretty sure that I would have passed the Maths "O" Level, but was assigned CSE for some reason. My first year maths teacher Mr. Memory did an awesome job, others less so, because their methods did not make learning interesting.

I am also good at mental calculations and working with numbers in general, which is useful since I do have to teach component measurements and also calculations such as Ohm's Law in my work, to validate the theory and characteristics of electricity.

In German we were given the opportunity to get copies (I think paid for) of “Das Rad” (The Wheel). This was a magazine in German, written for students of German. I had a number of them. It all helped to engage students in the subject. The other resource I remember regularly using was a little red textbook: “Aufenthalt in Deutschland”.

Amazing how these details stick, probably because I was interested in the subject and liked the way it was taught. Couldn’t say the same for other subjects such as French, with the emphasis being on grammar.

I also remember the dreaded oral exams. They’re no longer called that, they’re now “spoken” languages. The oral was conducted by an outsider assigned by the exam board (this is still done today). This was my worst nightmare being a very shy child, not too good with strangers and severely lacking in confidence. So I’m surprised I managed to even make it to the interview room, let alone get through speaking French and German to a complete stranger. But it all worked out well despite my fears.

Viv.

after all who ever has used sines, cosines, tangents, a slide rule, and algebra since leaving school?
Ahem... puts hand in the air. :) But I do completely appreciate your comment.

Strangely enough, I am quite poor at arithmetic. Julie can roll through numbers without pausing, but she did work in an accounts environment. I have difficulty holding numbers in my head for long enough to arrive at a total. On the other hand, a tangent is something she thinks I go off at.

I also remember the dreaded oral exams. They’re no longer called that, they’re now “spoken” languages. The oral was conducted by an outsider assigned by the exam board (this is still done today). This was my worst nightmare being a very shy child, not too good with strangers and severely lacking in confidence.
Me too. Now come and meet my Doctor if you feel like reliving the experience. The nurse is fine, she sometimes says "Hello", a big concession to my country of birth.

Andrew.

In German we were given the opportunity to get copies (I think paid for) of “Das Rad” (The Wheel). This was a magazine in German, written for students of German. I had a number of them. It all helped to engage students in the subject. The other resource I remember regularly using was a little red textbook: “Aufenthalt in Deutschland”.

Amazing how these details stick, probably because I was interested in the subject and liked the way it was taught. Couldn’t say the same for other subjects such as French, with the emphasis being on grammar.

I also remember the dreaded oral exams. They’re no longer called that, they’re now “spoken” languages. The oral was conducted by an outsider assigned by the exam board (this is still done today). This was my worst nightmare being a very shy child, not too good with strangers and severely lacking in confidence. So I’m surprised I managed to even make it to the interview room, let alone get through speaking French and German to a complete stranger. But it all worked out well despite my fears.

Viv.
Oh yes, the oral exams! I too was quite shy, so I felt out of sorts when I entered the exam room, to encounter a complete stranger.

My parents vetoed taking German. Too many memories for them. We could only take French or German, not both.

FWIW, I had considered entering the teaching field, but had a fear of public speaking, so that idea was out of the question. Besides, I decided that although I did well at the subjects, I didn't really much look forward to teaching adolescents.

Funny turn around. After a start in engineering and then working for many years as a GM dealership technician, I have spent the past twenty years, as a GM trainer for British Columbia dealership technicians and am not the slightest bit shy or intimidated!

Overall, while from my perspective, MHB didn't do a stellar job of career prep training for industry, I did benefit from a solid education in the academics, rounding off the teaching from my parents at an early age.

Martin

Not exactly related to the schools at Stockland Green, but still these would have been very familiar sights for those of us who attended one of the three schools.

I recall taking these photos in the mid-1960s. The image with the Plaza Cinema also captured the telephone boxes in front of the gentleman's outfitters, with the awning just in view, of Moyle and Adams Grocers where I worked part-time.

The second image is facing Reservoir Road and the #11 Outer Circle bus.
Martin

Attachments

• Stockland Green.jpg
    Stockland Green.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Reservoir Road.jpg
    Reservoir Road.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 33
I think GCSE oral language exams are conducted in school and recorded. Marked by the teacher. Then a selection are sent to an external examiner who marks them so it can be compared to the teacher's marks.
Not sure what happens at A level.

Now had a go at naming faces on my form photo. Here goes:

View attachment 122068

Blue row
1. ?
2. ?
3. Rose Harvey
4. Yvonne Bonquet
5. Sue Pearson

Red row
6. Janet Poxon
7. Sharon ?
8. Kath Henderson
9. ?
10. Peta ?
11. Me
12. Anne Rollason
13. Mrs Bates, Form Tutor

Purple row
14. Cynthia Pritchard
15. ?
16. Christine Sutton
17. Irene Price
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?

Yellow row
21. Lorraine Waldron
22. Marilyn Pritchatt
23. Sally Smith
24. Susan Vyse
24. ?
25. ?
26. Linda Sabin
27. ?
28. ?
29. Susan Nicklin

Think the photo might date to 1968. Viv.
15 is Dorothy Stevens who sadly passed away three or four years ago.

Oh that’s very sad to hear Sue. I remember Dorothy as a very quiet girl, but didn’t really know her that well.

Thanks for filling in some gaps. I think #2 is Maureen Veraca.

Yes, it was really sad. She and I had been friends since we started primary school and still swapped Christmas cards, etc. We met up on one occasion, which was lovely. She’d been battling oesophageal cancer for a number of years.

I was in the first intake, I hated the school. Especially showers and PE and games.The blue colour was Cambridge Blue. I liked the Art Teacher. Miss Carter(Music) Loathed Cockbain. Pauline French was in my class, Jennifer Bruce with blonde hair. Janet Clay, Kathleen Dickens. We were all from Acocks Green, so we had a hours journey to school. I didn't do my homework very often and was a bit of a rebel. I was in Canterbury House.I remember Bonny, an a Dawn McAlister.Left after my GCE's so never ever knew if I had got any. I was a Medical Social Worker for years, then a Priest. Molly Bird. Now Rev'd Molly Langridge.

I met up with an old class mate in September. We had not seen each other for 50 years . Picked up where we left off.☺️ I notice viv you posted on Longboat forum. I married the manager’s son ( now divorced ) and have some super photos if you would like to see. Also have a chat group with 5 others. Sadly we lost Estelle last year.

Hi I have loved reading all about Marsh Hill I was there 1963-1968 and your descriptions have bought back many happy memories of the school. I remember being sent to Mrs Cockbain office because my skirt was too short! I'll dig out some photos & try to upload them.
Cockbain had a light that came on outside her door. Red you could knock but not enter Green you knocked and went in. She was a pretentious woman having taught at Sutton Coldfield High School.
She ruined the school with her silly upper class ideas.

I remember dance tunics! They were cotton. I had a very pale pastel green one (eau de nil ?). There was also a very pale blue one. Totally shapeless, think they had a slash neck and a material belt. They were not far off a sack in style. Mum bought mine with the rest of my uniform, but they must have been fairly easy to make as they had no shape to them ! Viv.
I remember them. Mine was pale blue.
Yes, I think you could be right with those (as far as I can make out in my phone)

I don't remember a Miss Harris so I wouldn't know about her. I only did Chemistry until the 3rd year and we had Mr Heap who may have left before you started?

Miss Haste was deputy head from the time I started but left, I believe, the same year as me, 1967, to take up a headship at another school. English was her subject and she sometimes took a class.
She was there when I started. The year it opened, straight into the second year.

Hi. I started at MHG in 1964, and was in form 1alpha. My parents were not at all well off, and we’re shocked by the lengthy uniform list, and struggled to find the money to buy it all. My mum decided to make my dance tunic, didn’t use the school pattern - and it was emerald green (not one of the approved colours), and she trimmed it with white daisies round the neckline! In our first dance lesson I was hauled to the front of the hall by Miss Tyson, and ridiculed in front of everyone for not having the correct tunic. I particularly remember her saying “Why do you think you’re so special that you can have decorations on your tunic”? I was mortified and so embarrassed. My mum agreed to remove the daisies, but insisted I be allowed to wear the green tunic as we couldn’t afford to buy another.
I remember Miss Tyson, when we had a period we could not have a shower. She wrote the date in a book. If you were like me you tried it on all the time. It must have looked like I always had one.

Does anyone remember the School Prayer: As a Priest I say it often, and always think of the school I hated so much. First line
Teach us good Lord to serve thee as thou deservest.

Does anyone remember the School Prayer: As a Priest I say it often, and always think of the school I hated so much. First line
Teach us good Lord to serve thee as thou deservest.
There was more than one prayer. I do remember that if you unfortunately started to cough durin, apart from an evil gaze you had to leave the assembly 65-71

I was in the first intake, I hated the school. Especially showers and PE and games.The blue colour was Cambridge Blue. I liked the Art Teacher. Miss Carter(Music) Loathed Cockbain. Pauline French was in my class, Jennifer Bruce with blonde hair. Janet Clay, Kathleen Dickens. We were all from Acocks Green, so we had a hours journey to school. I didn't do my homework very often and was a bit of a rebel. I was in Canterbury House.I remember Bonny, an a Dawn McAlister.Left after my GCE's so never ever knew if I had got any. I was a Medical Social Worker for years, then a Priest. Molly Bird. Now Rev'd Molly Langridge.
I think you were all in the sixth form when I started? I have an old photo somewhere of a few of you outside the front entrance with some of the new intake - if I find it I’ll post it!
I remember that Margaret Cruxton was my form prefect!

Oh that’s very sad to hear Sue. I remember Dorothy as a very quiet girl, but didn’t really know her that well.

Thanks for filling in some gaps. I think #2 is Maureen Veraca.
Do any of you fine young ladies recall participating in after school co-ed activities with the boys at either school?

The schools embarked on some combined theatrical activities reportedly ranging from stage lighting over at the girls' school, to stage make-up over at the boy's school. I was at MHB from '63-'68 and think it was mid-way through my time.

The boys' school head music teacher Mr. Buckley "Bean Head" aka "Chrome Dome", led the stage make-up activities.

We all had some good fun and while our fearless leader took it extremely seriously, our resulting abilities might well have served circus clowns better!

Last edited:
Do any of you fine young ladies recall participating in after school co-ed activities with the boys at either school?

The schools embarked on some combined theatrical activities reportedly ranging from stage lighting over at the girls' school, to stage make-up over at the boy's school. I was at MHB from '63-'68 and think it was mid-way through my time.

The boys' school music teacher "Bean Head" aka "Chrome Dome", led the stage make-up activities.

We all had some good fun and while our fearless leader took it extremely seriously, our resulting abilities might well have served circus clowns better!
I remember when the two schools produced The Pirates of Penzance, and I was put in charge of a light switch at the back of the hall…needless to say when the time came to switch it off as the performance ended and the lights went off on stage, I completely forgot!

The boys' school music teacher "Bean Head" aka "Chrome Dome", led the stage make-up activities.

Yes, I remember when both schools got together to do Pirates of Penzance.

On a later year, probably 1966, my friend and I helped with the make-up for the show at the boy's school - I think it was a review of different acts, one was a skit on Batman, which was a very popular TV show at that time. I remember one of the lads being dressed as Mr Freeze!

One of the teachers from the boy's school was in charge of the make-up team, I just can't remember his name but I think he may have taught woodwork?

Don’t think I’ve posted this before. I can’t say I recognise anyone in the photo even though I was at the school at this time. Viv.

896CB204-054D-4757-82BB-1842E205597A.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Does anyone remember going to see Mrs Cockbain before they started at the school ? I think the intention was a get to know you sort of affair. I went with mum, who did all the talking, as being shy I think the most I could muster was a ‘hello’ and ‘goodbye’. Something that sticks in my mind is Mrs C sitting stately behind her large desk and feeling completely intimidated by her.

The other thing I remember was when walking from Stockland Green along Marsh Hill, before we reached the school gate (between the sweet shop and the school gates), an elderly man approached us saying to my mum “Another new recruit?”. I just thought it was odd as my mum didn’t know him, so how did he know I was a new pupil. He must have been watching the comings and goings at the school gates. Maybe all newbies went to have their Mrs C chat on the same day.

Viv.

Yes, I remember going to see her with my mother before I started at the school and it was exactly how you describe!
My Mom was not very impressed by her from the start, I remember her commenting that she thought she was a snob.
It's quite sad really that she made that impression on so many people - I wonder whether she had any awareness of it.

Back