• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

Hi Suzanne. I remember Bronwen, although not personally. And some of the other names are familiar, but again, didn't personally know the girls.

Good to see your form photo. A few faces are familiar but not sure I could put names to faces. Thanks for posting. I see it was taken outside the school main entrance. Viv.
I remember Bronwen, she was im my year. We were the first year there. I did not like Cobain at all, and she did not like me. I was a bit of a rebel too. I only liked the art teacher. My mother made me leave after doing my mock o level. I never knew what I got. I would really like to know about Janet Clay, Kathleen Dickens, Jenny Bruce. I know about Pauline and Linda French. We all came from Acocks Green, so a long and boisterous bus journey. I feel so ashamed about my behaviour now, especially on the bus. I am now a Rev'd!!!
Molly Bird, now Molly Langridge.

Welcome from me too Linda. You must have been in the year above me. So nice to hear from Marsh Hill girls. You’ll probably remember that sometimes girls were pulled out of assembly if their skirt was too short. If on kneeling for prayers your skirt didn't touch the floor .... woe betides. The simple solution was to wear it short into school (ie rolled up over the waistband), unroll it in school, then roll it back down on the way out of school. What lengths (sorry !) we went to for fashion.

Seem to remember there was sometimes a kerfuffle if you had the wrong shade of blue sweater or cardigan too. My mum made a great effort to get the correct shade of blue when she knitted my sweaters. There was a specifically recommended colour and brand of wool. Think over the years she gave up and bought ready made ones.

Don’t know if I’ve put this on this thread, but once Mrs C noticed I had a copy of Vogue magazine with me one day and she told me she was an avid fan of the magazine and loved fashion - could have knocked me down with a feather.

Look forward to any photos you may have Linda. Viv.
The colour was Oxford Blue. Cockbain came when the school started, before that she cameSutton High School. I think her aspirations were a little high for us.

Hi ASparks, I’ve removed my note of Mr Denton as I think I’ve spotted him on another section of the photo. The name Miss Haste rings a bell - maybe she was a teacher at the school before being appointed Deputy. Viv
I was in the first year to go to the school. Miss Haste was deputy Head then. Always dressed in tweeds, and took Englis
Hello Viv, I’m new on here...I found out my mum attended MHGGS today when I opened a book she was awarded at prize giving in 1963. She would have been in her first or second year of the school (born Aug 1951). Do you remember a Janet Evans? I wondered if the girl fourth from right was her? Or if she is in any of the other pictures that you or anyone knows of. Thanks, Jodie
I remember a Janet Evans, I think we were in the same class. Molly Langridge nee Bird.

Hi. I started at MHG in 1964, and was in form 1alpha. My parents were not at all well off, and we’re shocked by the lengthy uniform list, and struggled to find the money to buy it all. My mum decided to make my dance tunic, didn’t use the school pattern - and it was emerald green (not one of the approved colours), and she trimmed it with white daisies round the neckline! In our first dance lesson I was hauled to the front of the hall by Miss Tyson, and ridiculed in front of everyone for not having the correct tunic. I particularly remember her saying “Why do you think you’re so special that you can have decorations on your tunic”? I was mortified and so embarrassed. My mum agreed to remove the daisies, but insisted I be allowed to wear the green tunic as we couldn’t afford to buy another.
Miss Tyson I remember her. I had arguments about showers with her because she used to want us to prove we had a period. I hated communal showers.

Shamefully, (but not surprisingly as I wasn’t particularly interested in such things at school), today is the first day I’ve ever really looked at the school badge. And on it we have a roaring lion and an anchor with something hanging off it. What’s it all mean - anyone ? Was that supposed to be an anchor for marshland ? Would you really need an anchor for marshland ? Viv.

C869E851-13EA-4F4D-9E89-B8CAB1F99EA5.jpeg

I don't think I have ever properly looked at the badge either! If you had asked me before seeing your picture, I couldn't have described it :laughing:
Maybe it's a hand holding on to the bottom of the anchor? No idea what it could all signify!

Me too ASparks. Couldn't have told anyone what was on the badge without looking it up. Only remembered it being blue. I think the upside down arrows probably represent marshland as per map symbols. Viv.

Hi
I have had a walk down memory lane this morning having just joined. Started in 65. Teacher names I have not seen mentioned....Mrs Anthony science, Doc Sut ( Miss Sutton) History, Mrs Hutchinson Art, Miss Scarborough PE. Salisbury House. Lunch time charity dances, debobbling!!! I worked hard the first year and went down hill after. Telling was the fact I took Art Metal Work to go over to the boys school Swimming at Nechells. Finally being able to use the back stairs for staff and 6th formers. I have some photos but it won’t post saying file too big even for one? miss Hart school sec. No coughing in assembly. The prayers you had to memorise. Oxford and Cambridge boards with names in gold of girls that had got through. You would have to micro chip now to make room!!! Mrs Slamer Shorthand and Typing teacher, lovely woman. Miss Ainsworth French. Mrs Troughton Cookery.

Welcome Di. I started there in 1964. Miss Hart I remember as such a kind person. Mrs Troughton - well I suppose I have her to thank for learning to like scrambled egg. Used to take cookery ingredients into school in a basket. Some used gondola baskets for this, very fashionable at the time. I had a woven basket with a leather lid and rope handles. Think it might have been Spanish, but wrecked it by transporting home a summer fruits pudding. It slopped all over the place through the woven slats, including all over the #28 bus, top deck. But my mum was very kind about it saying it was delicious !

We had a domestic science room too with a sort of flat where you learned to make beds.All terribly boring - well to me it was. I loved sewing lessons though.

In all honesty I can’t really remember enjoying lessons much at all. Probably the only one was German. Miss Wilkinson (who married a teacher at the boys school) was a great teacher. She brought languages to life for us.When we went to Germany (Cologne/Koln) we were given German names. Mine was Katchen, it had an umlaut over the ‘a’ but can’t work out how to do it on my keyboard !And she treated us girls as young women. Unlike Miss Russell, who taught French (pronounced “Roooselle”) - she made French incredibly boring.

Viv.

Last edited:
Welcome Di. I started there in 1964. Miss Hart I remember as such a kind person. Mrs Troughton - well I suppose I have her to thank for learning to like scrambled egg. Used to take cookery ingredients into school in a basket. Some used gondola baskets for this, very fashionable at the time. I had a woven basket with a leather lid and rope handles. Think it might have been Spanish, but wrecked it by transporting home a summer fruits pudding. It slopped all over the place through the woven slats, including all over the #28 bus, top deck. But my mum was very kind about it saying it was delicious !

We had a domestic science room too with a sort of flat where you learned to make beds.All terribly boring - well to me it was. I loved sewing lessons though.

In all honesty I can’t really remember enjoying lessons much at all. Probably the only one was German. Miss Wilkinson (who married a teacher at the boys school) was a great teacher. She brought languages to life for us.When we went to Germany (Cologne/Koln) we were given German names. Mine was Katchen, it had an umlauts over the ‘a’ but can’t work out how to do it on my keyboard !And she treated us girls as young women. Unlike Miss Russell, who taught French (pronounced “Roooselle”) - she made French incredibly boring.

Viv.
I remember Miss Russel well and went on to have Mr Denton who was known to throw the chalk rubber. Sarcastic so and so. Cannot say the place was my cup of tea but have some fun memories. My dad died when I was 15 so completely lost interest in the education production line. Even waiting for the 65 on Slade road Was eventful if you got a lift on the back of a scooter

I went there at 13 when it opened, 2nd year, the only lessons I enjoyed was Art, RE, and Music with a Miss Carter I was in 2A, and in Canterbury. I hated the teaching,so boring, and Mrs Cockbains and her silly ideas. I didn't work because it was an hours journey home and then there was no incentive to do homework, the lessons were awful. My mother made me leave after doing my exams, I had no idea of the results. I was so unhappy at home. I made up for it though. I had my first child in 1968 and another three followed. I went to FE when they had grown up a bit and did well in o, ans A levels. I went on to study for Social Work, then when I was 50 I also trained for the clergy. Now I am retired. I was ready to learn when I was older it was much better for me....I used to go on the No 11 to Hall Green, if I think about that now, I am ashamed our behaviour. Now I am a great member of society.

So sorry you felt like that, I loved the school and enjoyed the teachers in the main. As for Mrs Cockbain I can only speak as I find, she stood up to my bully of a stepfather, threatened him with the police and when I went into a children's home allowed and encouraged staff to support me in ways that just wouldn't be allowed today.

She looked at my very difficult situation and suggested and then allowed me to bring my wedding forward to get married whilst I was in 6th form, the staff and other 6th formers bought all my bottom draw stuff.

Without her support I would not be the person I am today and her pride in turning out disciplined, well mannered, educated young ladies stood me in good stead all my life.

I was part of last senior school intake at the combined Marsh Hill School in 1982 so the joint school only had under a decade as an intake school before it became a 6rh form college. Interesting you had 3 schools on one site and Jaffray only about half a mile away.

Mrs Box was deputy head when I started the senior school but retired the next year in summer 1983.

Looking on Streetview I see the old girls’ school has had a facelift. Some parts are still recognisable. The low white building to the right was the gym. The buildings behind that were the three storey classrooms, although a tower has been added attached to more new, two storey classrooms.

The single storey, low white building was the Science Block. The red brick building behind that wasn’t there when I was at MHGS. That stands on the old athletics field. The building on the extreme far left wasn’t there either when I attended.

There seems to be an additional building far right, visible from behind the gate. This would have been built on the old long jump and high jump sand pit areas and the staff car park. It means access to the sixth form common room (under the Main Hall) would now be impossible from that point.

It must now be significantly bigger than when it was MHGS. Viv.
1D3B3BA9-E866-45D8-944F-8A29D615660D.jpeg

Looking on Streetview I see the old girls’ school has had a facelift. Some parts are still recognisable. The low white building to the right was the gym. The buildings behind that were the three storey classrooms, although a tower has been added attached to more new, two storey classrooms.

The single storey, low white building was the Science Block. The red brick building behind that wasn’t there when I was at MHGS. That stands on the old athletics field. The building on the extreme far left wasn’t there either when I attended.

There seems to be an additional building far right, visible from behind the gate. This would have been built on the old long jump and high jump sand pit areas and the staff car park. It means access to the sixth form common room (under the Main Hall) would now be impossible from that point.

It must now be significantly bigger than when it was MHGS. Viv.
View attachment 154507
Yes when I left in 1974 it was combined with the boys school and Stockland Green to become comprehensive school then became Josiah Mason 6th Form College in 1983, catering for international students who sometimes boarded at the college as well as with surrounding families for a fee. But it closed in 2012 its now a special needs school, the additional buildings were for that, we Def wouldn't recognise it as our school now but I think Mrs Cockbain would appreciate the fact that the building whilst not going in the direction she intended was one of only 3 sixth form colleges and now is a forerunner in special needs school with million pound makeover to accommodate it's students ....

Back