• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

Yes that’s definitely Yvonne. Remember her very well, was quite good friends with her. Sally S, Sharon and Peta were all in my class up to 5th Form. Also knew Marijke well. So nice to see girls from my year. A trip down memory lane for me this afternoon. Great photos Sasha. Thanks for posting. Viv.

These two photos were taken on a geography trip - orienteering in the Cotswolds. Not too sure of the date but must have been in the late 1960s.

97600B7E-ECF3-46E2-99F0-0FF2539D6368.jpeg

Left to right: Susan Vyse, Rose Harvey, Linda Sabin, Christine Sutton, Janet Poxon and I think Lorraine Waldron at the back.

40957BD5-259D-4ACC-89C0-94E347C544A2.png

Left to right: probably Lorraine Waldron (bit blurry), Susan Vyse, Janet Poxon, Linda Sabin, probably Christine Sutton (hidden behind Linda) and Rose Harvey.

Viv.

And this one was taken, I think, in one of the top classrooms. This would also have been late 1960s, most probably 5th Form.

A6381954-0083-48E1-A753-D28CB88E9366.jpeg

Left to right: Anne Rollason, Peta Taylor, Lorraine Waldron, (behind Lorraine I think it was Christine Sutton), Janet Poxon (sitting) next to her Sandra .... and at the back, Sharon Owen.

This photo shows the various summer uniform dresses. There was a blue & white striped dress (modelled by Peta and Janet) another with thick bands of blue and white edged with flowers (modelled by Lorraine) and the ‘leaf’ pattern (modelled by Sharon) which were hand made dresses, either made in needlework classes or, I think, at home. I made one in needlework in a shift style. Was quite comfy too.

And probably a nod to Mrs Cockbain ‘interest’ in fashion ! Viv.

My mother made me one of the leaf pattern dresses when I was in the 3rd year but I didn't wear it much, I never had a stripey one.
I wore the winter uniform all year round.

Edit. A link to Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech is here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/marsh-hill-boys-grammar-tech-school.34993/

The school opened in 1960 but no longer exists. Think it became Josiah Mason College. Headmistress in 1967 was Mrs Cockbaine (who insisted on being called CObaine i.e silent middle c and k !!) Viv.

A school record was recorded in the 1960s. Be interesting to see if anyone has a copy.

The school blazer badge - Non Nobis Solum.
View attachment 119167
I have the scarf ....

Hi Lena. Think you were the same year as me, but a different form. Your form tutor looks like Mrs Bates.

The school scarf is the first one with narrowish stripes. There was another one - introduced later - for more senior girls with wider stripes.

Viv.

Hi yes it was Mrs Bates .......reading through the other posts I remember lots of the teachers. I was good at art and Mr Rowse was brilliant teacher .... unlike Mr Slinn the worlds worst geography teacher he used to come into class and say “girls open your books at page 60 read the chapter homework will be.......” Miss Cookson sport ..... I played hockey for the school and she was very encouraging.
I do have some other photographs somewhere I’ll try and find them and post them!!
xx

That’s great Lena. Look forward to seeing them. I remember Mr Slinn, was never particularly interested in his lessons - perhaps that’s why. I remember he used to wander around the classroom a lot. I think he also used to get involved in the school theatre productions.

Yes Miss Cookson was very encouraging. I played for the school too. Remember those freezing cold Saturdays on a rock solid frozen pitch. And coming home with sore, bruised shins ! The strong smell of rubber off the hockey boots. Those were the days ! Ha ha.

Viv.

Mr Slinn’s enthusiasm for acting. He wrote this letter to The Stage in 1969. Personally I don’t remember any actors coming into school to give talks, but then I wasn’t particularly interested in acting! Viv.

ADEB7714-7BE2-496A-A88B-C7A39E0EEF50.jpeg

Anyone remember this ? I thought it had the school song Non Nobis Domini on it, but it doesn't appear on this side. Maybe it was on the 'B' side ? ! Or maybe this was such a sell out, the school went on to record more and it was included on that one (ha, ha).

Now come on girls, sing along .............
"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam"

Viv.

View attachment 119432
I have the record with the school song on it - released November 1967.

Anyone remember this ? I thought it had the school song Non Nobis Domini on it, but it doesn't appear on this side. Maybe it was on the 'B' side ? ! Or maybe this was such a sell out, the school went on to record more and it was included on that one (ha, ha).

Now come on girls, sing along .............
"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam"

Viv.

View attachment 119432
Here are photos of the private pressing record containing the School Song - NON NOBISIMG_7958.JPGIMG_7960.JPG

Thanks for that ! The B side says it was “Led by Keith Evans”. Was that Mr Evans the history teacher (and Ilya Kuriarchin - Man from Uncle - lookalike ?). I think he played guitar too and he used to get involved in school plays/productions. Viv.

I remember Mr Evans, he used to teach current affairs too.
I didn't know about the record as I had left school by autumn 1967.

I went there but later when it was a comp! My sister and cousins went when it was a grammar ‘non nobis solum’ means not for ourselves alone... still had it on comp badge just as a scroll underneath. Colour of scroll depicted which house you were in I was in Warwick which was yellow, Dudley was green Kenilworth was red and Tamworth was blue....

Back