• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

I don't recall mine being very easy to make!
Ours had some sort of pleating, I think my mother helped with mine.

Pleats, wow that’s fancy !

Remember science overalls too. I had a royal blue one that wrapped around. Viv.

Might be worth mentioning that there were 2 other schools on the site: Marsh Hill Boys grammar tech and Stockland Green Bilateral School. All 3 schools (including Marsh Hill Girls) were on the same campus. I expect these have all since disappeared or been amalgamated into what became the FE college. Viv
Two questions ,bored on a cold, wet, windy Devon afternoon, so read this thread, question 1 what was or is a bilateral school? Question 2 was there not an Erdington Grammar School or has my memory deceived me?
Bob

Yes, Stockland Green was a bilateral (comprehensive?) School.

On the same large site were Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Technical and Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Technical (separate buildings ).

Yes, there was also an Erdington Girls Grammar School which was probably a mile or so away

Yes, Erdington Girls Grammar School was on Kingsbury Road, by the jumction of Bromford Lane

Re Stockland Green School, ‘Bilateral’ meant it was partially selective. I think SGBS selected on the basis of artistic/creative skill. Don’t think you had to pass the 11+ to go there.

Of the three schools on the site only the girls’ school building remains, although I think this has been totally redeveloped in more recent times. Viv.

Had a go at naming the teachers on the whole school photo. These are the ones I remember. Viv

Green dot Mrs Cockbain, Head
Blue dot Mrs Box, Deputy Head
Red dot - I think her name was Miss Head (?)
Orange dot Mr Evans
Purple dot Mr Manning
Pink dot Miss Foxen

Hi Viv, I don't have a pc so I can't see photos so clearly on my phone but I would agree with your guesses of Mrs C, Mr Evans, Mr Manning and Miss Dixon.

Miss Haste was deputy head when I left, I vaguely remember Mrs Box I think but have no memory of what she looked liked, the same with Miss Head.
I think you may be right about Mr Denton - I can't really picture his face now but he did have dark hair.

Well done!

Hi ASparks, I’ve removed my note of Mr Denton as I think I’ve spotted him on another section of the photo. The name Miss Haste rings a bell - maybe she was a teacher at the school before being appointed Deputy. Viv

A few more I think I remember

Red dot Miss Cooksley, she really encouraged me at hockey
Green dot I think her name was Miss Harris, chemistry
Blue dot Mr Denton
Purple dot - Is this Miss Linghan ? - not too sure

Yes, I think you could be right with those (as far as I can make out in my phone)

I don't remember a Miss Harris so I wouldn't know about her. I only did Chemistry until the 3rd year and we had Mr Heap who may have left before you started?

Miss Haste was deputy head from the time I started but left, I believe, the same year as me, 1967, to take up a headship at another school. English was her subject and she sometimes took a class.

Found this photo the other day. Form photo is of 1Z taken in 1964/5. I'm top left, refusing to smile and looking awkward (as was the norm for me in those early days at MHGGS).

I think the Form Mistress was Miss Jones. She was lovely and really helped us all to adjust to life at the school. Viv.

Hello Viv, I’m new on here...I found out my mum attended MHGGS today when I opened a book she was awarded at prize giving in 1963. She would have been in her first or second year of the school (born Aug 1951). Do you remember a Janet Evans? I wondered if the girl fourth from right was her? Or if she is in any of the other pictures that you or anyone knows of. Thanks, Jodie

Had a go at naming the teachers on the whole school photo. These are the ones I remember. Viv

Green dot Mrs Cockbain, Head
Blue dot Mrs Box, Deputy Head
Red dot - I think her name was Miss Head (?)
Orange dot Mr Evans
Purple dot Mr Manning
Pink dot Miss Foxen

View attachment 132468
Next to red dot miss Head is Mr Slinn who taught Geography... it was him that owned the green Triumph Spitfire

Hello Viv, I’m new on here...I found out my mum attended MHGGS today when I opened a book she was awarded at prize giving in 1963. She would have been in her first or second year of the school (born Aug 1951). Do you remember a Janet Evans? I wondered if the girl fourth from right was her? Or if she is in any of the other pictures that you or anyone knows of. Thanks, Jodie

I remember your mother Janet Evans, she was in the same school year as me but not in the same class so I only really knew her by sight.
I doubt Viv would remember her as she is a couple of years younger than us!

My homework timetable - booooooooo ! Well I certainly remember carrying all those books home on the#28 bus. Don't know which year this relates to but was probably 3rd or 4th year (age 14/15) Have no idea why Physics and German are bracketed on Mondays and Thursdays. ''Scripture' haven't heard it called that for a long, long time. And it's all written in fountain pen in my best handwriting too. Viv.

View attachment 119681

Nice to see well written, joined up writing. Now live in the USA and that would be code to kids who left school over here in the last 5-10 years. I heard of one quite intelligent young lady on a management training scheme at Home Depot being let go ( fired ) because she could not read the customers hand written orders.

I was there from 1964-71, so your sister had just started as I was leaving Pam. And A Sparks you'd have been two years ahead of me.

Oh I remember Margaret Pasqetti - always smiling. Amazing athlete. Didn't know she had a sister in the school. She was a few years above me - we looked up to these girls !

Been rummaging through my old PC files and I've found the the piece I've written. But it's very long. So here's an extract. Viv.

Top of the class was Miss Jones, a very caring, first form tutor and inspiring PE teacher. Second up, Mr Evans - history - looked like the blonde guy from the Man From Uncle (Ilya Kuriarchyn?) and was adored by many. He drove a green MG (?) sports car and, I think, married either a former Head Girl or teacher. Mrs Bates, another form teacher, very prim and neat, taught Physics. Mr Denton for Maths, scary as hell. He'd throw missiles at you for the smallest mistake. Headmistress - Mrs Cockbain - pronounced Cobane girls - and please, no sniggering! She wore her hair plaited in an earphone style or fixed over her head. Miss Foxon, a slightly eccentric but sweet English teacher, usually wore socks. Miss Russell, French teacher insisted we greet her with "Bonjour Miss Rooooooooselle". Only the French way would do for her. Mrs Banner (Miss Wilkinson), brilliant German teacher, wore quite short skirts, sported Supremes-type big hair and was married to Mr Banner, a teacher at Marsh Hill Boys'. Brown corduroy always brings to mind the Geography teacher, Mr Slinn. Mrs Box, Deputy Head, usually dressed head-to-toe in tweed, could be quite formidable. Then there was Mr Manning - English, with Manfred Mann type specs. And Miss Lingham(?) also English teacher, very, very enthusiastic about everything, bless her. Many names I still can't recall such as the elderly and kind grey-haired Russian teacher, a native Russian who'd allegedly escaped from Russia. And there was a very tall French teacher with light brown chignoned hair, either married to a Frenchman or was French herself.

And what about the serious studying that went on in the science labs ? Watching from the chemistry lab as Marsh Hill VI form boys came over for mixed classes was a lesson in itself. Distracted by their strutting forms, science had absolutely no chance. But we sometimes mustered inspiration for one or two experiments like those involving the use of the ventilation shafts into which you'd put the test tubes of stinking H2S. The door pulled down like a dumb waiter but the putrid smell still permeated much of the school, especially the dining hall where dinner was being prepared. On leaving the lesson we'd announce to others "yeah, WE made that smell". An experiment guaranteed to get our attention was exposing phosphorous to the air, and watching it's magical glow. I remember only one fire in the labs - very surprising considering our willingness to 'experiment'. Never fully mastered the periodic table (but hey, we were lucky, it's even bigger today). Memorable biology experiments covered the usual dissecting of dogfish, frogs, ox's hearts and sheep's eyeballs. All pretty disgusting, but it 'enriched' the lesson. As for physics - making one of those thingys where a light came on if you touched the wire. Remember leaving one lesson with massively static hair - the lengths teachers will go to get you involved !

A fond memory is of the tuck shop shoe-horned into the space under the main staircase. Many entertaining morning breaks passed there queueing to be served; chatting, combing our Troll's long hair or creating enormous fluff balls from the bobbles collected off sweaters. Yes, high-brow stuff indeed. One special memory is sitting on the grass at the back of the Main Hall, listening to someone's transistor radio playing the Beach Boys: 'God only knows'. Radio's weren't allowed, but we lived on the edge!! This glorious summer's day still comes back every time I hear that song.

Viv (Jackie)
In Easter 1968 I was fortunate to go on the school exchange to Cologne. Some of the German girls who came to us the following September are in the photo below. (Suzanne - not sure about this, but is it Bronwen sitting on the floor in the photo ? Not sure she was still there at this time though)

For German lessons we were given German names. Mine was Katchen. German was a favourite subject. According to this November 1971 Birmingham Post article, Mrs Thatcher made a visit to our language lab, having spent some of the day dodging demonstrators around Birmingham. I don't remember even being aware that she was in the school - which seems odd, as doubtless all the school would have been told. What I do remember is a proposed visit being cancelled. Was that an earlier one ? Or was it this one to disguise her visit, thus avoiding demonstrators ? How mysterious. Viv

View attachment 122098

View attachment 122099
Hiya, I’m new here Cecilia Calland, I was at Marshall Grammar from 1968 to 1974 (lower 6th doing typing, shorthand etc). Yes I remember Margaret Thatcher visiting, although I thought I was younger. Anyway, I must have been in 3z in 1971. Some pupils were sent home a bit early on that day.
We were told by Mrs Cockbain to leave quietly, out of the main gates, and not to speak to anyone at all as we left. There were some demonstrators outside telling us we shouldn’t be sent home early, losing our education (along those lines). Myself and my friend Wendy Ryan were very small, and were approached by the press/students to stay behind so they could get a photo of one of us running up to Mrs Thatcher with a bottle of milk. Well there was no way either of us were willing to disobey Mrs Cockbain. I did see mention on the news that night that she had been to the school via a back entrance to avoid the demonstration.

Mrs T was also due to visit the boys’ school, but don’t know if she made it there as I think things at the boys’ school were a bit more volatile when it came to politics. I know Mr Markwell (the ‘Beak’, Headmaster) instructed boys with long hair that they should tuck their pony tails into their collars should she visit the school ! Those were the days ..... Viv.

Mrs T was also due to visit the boys’ school, but don’t know if she made it there as I think things at the boys’ school were a bit more volatile when it came to politics. I know Mr Markwell (the ‘Beak’, Headmaster) instructed boys with long hair that they should tuck their pony tails into their collars should she visit the school ! Those were the days ..... Viv.
Ha ha, I don’t recall ever seeing the boys’ head teacher or even knowing his name....the only time I ever went to the boys school was to use the language lab for french, I think it was in year 4, so around 1971/2. Our french teacher at that time was Mr Muller I think, prior to that we had Miss Wolstencroft. She was a new french teacher to replace Mrs Bloxham who has also been our form teacher in 2zand before that we had Mrs Bloxham, who was also form teacher in 2z.

So in 1z the my form teacher was Mrs Warrington, English and general science. 2z Mrs Bloxham french. 3Z Mr Smith maths, replaced by Mr Siddique. I do recall a lot of the teachers already mentioned such as Mrs Box, Miss Foxon, Mr Slinn, Mr Rouse, does anyone remember Mrs Hutchinson, the other art teacher? Mr Manning, who also taught O’level law, Mrs Miles history, Mr Williams economics and accounts. Miss Harris chemistry, replaced by Mr Rose. When I get my school report out of the loft (blue for York) I will make corrections or additions to this information.

Hi Cecilia. You must have been about three years behind me.

Mrs Bloxham rings a bell. Was she tall with blond hair, tied up on top of her head ? Or maybe that was Miss Wolstencroft ? Our French teacher was Miss Russell (pronounced ‘Roosell !). I remember using the language lab at the boys’ school. We thought it was terribly exciting going to the boys’ school for a lesson. (A consequence of going to an all girls’ school!). The language lab was state of the art at the time.

Miss Harris was my form teacher in fifth form (about 1969). I always think ‘blond hair, pink twinset and earings’ when I remember her. She was a firm but fair teacher as I remember.

I knew a few boys from the boys’ school, hence why I know about Mr Markwell. I don’t think he often stepped foot in the girls’ school unless he had to. I heard he and Mrs Cockbain didn’t see eye to eye on many things.

Viv.

Hi Cecilia. You must have been about three years behind me.

Mrs Bloxham rings a bell. Was she tall with blond hair, tied up on top of her head ? Or maybe that was Miss Wolstencroft ? Our French teacher was Miss Russell (pronounced ‘Roosell !). I remember using the language lab at the boys’ school. We thought it was terribly exciting going to the boys’ school for a lesson. (A consequence of going to an all girls’ school!). The language lab was state of the art at the time.

Miss Harris was my form teacher in fifth form (about 1969). I always think ‘blond hair, pink twinset and earings’ when I remember her. She was a firm but fair teacher as I remember.

I knew a few boys from the boys’ school, hence why I know about Mr Markwell. I don’t think he often stepped foot in the girls’ school unless he had to. I heard he and Mrs Cockbain didn’t see eye to eye on many things.

Viv.
Hiya Viv, yes I do remember Miss Harris, she was such a good teacher that I took sciences for my options into year 4. Unfortunately, she left that year and I didn’t seem to be able grasp chemistry quite so well with the new teacher, so my interest waned. I also remember Mr Fischer for Physics, what a lovely gentleman he was, his eyes were always smiling.

Yes Mrs Bloxham did have her hair high on her head, brunette, in the shape of a loose bun. She dressed extremely smartly, definitely an ‘eye catcher’. There was an incident in our class where Mrs Cockbain marched in demanding to know who was responsible for deliberatley flicking ink on Mrs Bloxham‘s clothing. I don’t think she actually named the teacher, but that it what was rumoured. As nobody was willing to admit this, we were all forced to hand in our fountain pens with our namea clearly sellotaped to them. Biros were handed out, and we were forbidden to use fountain pens for the rest of that term at least.

I didn’t know any girls really in the higher years, apart from the sister of my friend Susan Cleary. Her sister I think was called Pat Cleary, and she was at least 2 years higher. I remember her doing a stage performance with a male teacher, blonde hair, I’m almost certain it was Mr Williams. Anyway, on the stage she was supposed to trail oil on his bare back with a spoon of some sort, as he was lay down. The older girls at the back were shouting ‘use your hands‘, so she said ‘what the hell’ and went for it, much to great shock/applause of the audience. I‘ve often wondered if Mrs. Cockbain was aware, and how she reacted.

Do you remember practising the ‘cheer‘ for speech day, Hip hip hooraaaah, definitely not hooray. Lol

Oh yes, definitely hooraaaah ! And Speach Day was something I dreaded. I got form prize for 3 years running and was terrified of going up on stage to shake hands with whatever dignatory was handing out the prizes. Was a very self-conscious teenager.

For some reason I remember spending lunchtime in the Hall and playing ‘modern’ music, but not sure if it was a rare occurance. (Maybe Mrs Cockbain was away). I remember we had ‘Albatross’ by Fleetwood Mac playing constantly on a record player. Think it was winter so maybe the weather was too cold to go out into the playground. In the summer we’d sit on the grass at the back of the school. I brought in a transistor radio and vividly remember listening to God Only Knows by the Beach Boys out there.

Then in the VI Form Common Room under the stage we’d play Layla by Eric Clapton very, very loud. We all wore mini skirts (or maxi dresses/skirts), cheesecloth or velvet blouses, lots of jewellery, suede boots, even Afghan or vintage fur coats. I never remember being told to modify my clothing in VI Form - and it must have been pretty outrageous compared to the lower school uniform.

Viv.

We were allowed to use the school record player at lunchtimes in the main hall in the winter - I started Marsh Hill in the bad winter of 1962/63 (and of course, no days off school for the snow in those times!)

The record I particularly remember that year was Telstar, everyone went mad for it! Hahaha!

My navy blue box pleat skirt had a side pocket. When ‘Trolls’ were popular we’d tuck the Troll and a small comb in that pocket. Then out they came at lunchtime. It was a very strange fad. All we ever did with them was comb their hair and plait it ! I remember many girls just stroking the hair which stayed in the position you stroked it. Viv.

My navy blue box pleat skirt had a side pocket. When ‘Trolls’ were popular we’d tuck the Troll and a small comb in that pocket. Then out they came at lunchtime. It was a very strange fad. All we ever did with them was comb their hair and plait it ! I remember many girls just stroking the hair which stayed in the position you stroked it. Viv.
The only things I hated at the school was the showers we were forced to have .The gym teacher would stand with a book and write down the reasons why we could not shower,the towels were that small they never covered all our modesty !!! They we more like tea towels and when it was summer we were made to sit in the gym on benches to watch the tennis on TV which I personally found boring but the teachers loved it ,We should of been outside enjoying the sunshine.But apart from these I enjoyed my school days there.

I remember the tennis courts, they were set up in front of the gym in the summer (netball courts in autumn/winter). When I was there the grounds were quite large. Lots of grassed area from between the girls and boys schools, right around the science block and along the back of the school. The high jump and long jump pits used to be behind the Hall, on the Marsh Hill side. There was also a small car park there.

I don’t remember much about watching tennis on TV. But I remember playing badminton in the gym.

I don’t have great memories about the school as I spent the first 5 years there worrying about homework, project work and exams, thanks to a lot of pressure from home. But by the time I’d taken O levels I’d had enough, and started to rebell. So VI Form for me became one big jolly, how I wasn’t thrown out I don’t know.

One particular thing I will say about the school is it gave us girls lots of opportunities. I think Mrs C considered herself progressive (even if we didn’t think she was) and I imagine she believed in girls should have equality of opportunity. Under that hard exterior I suspect there lurked an interesting character.

Viv.

Oh yes, definitely hooraaaah ! And Speach Day was something I dreaded. I got form prize for 3 years running and was terrified of going up on stage to shake hands with whatever dignatory was handing out the prizes. Was a very self-conscious teenager.

For some reason I remember spending lunchtime in the Hall and playing ‘modern’ music, but not sure if it was a rare occurance. (Maybe Mrs Cockbain was away). I remember we had ‘Albatross’ by Fleetwood Mac playing constantly on a record player. Think it was winter so maybe the weather was too cold to go out into the playground. In the summer we’d sit on the grass at the back of the school. I brought in a transistor radio and vividly remember listening to God Only Knows by the Beach Boys out there.

Then in the VI Form Common Room under the stage we’d play Layla by Eric Clapton very, very loud. We all wore mini skirts (or maxi dresses/skirts), cheesecloth or velvet blouses, lots of jewellery, suede boots, even Afghan or vintage fur coats. I never remember being told to modify my clothing in VI Form - and it must have been pretty outrageous compared to the lower school uniform.

Viv.
Hello Viv, you must have been the apple of Mrs Cockbain’s eye with those achievements, unlike myself, when I achieved my one and only 1st, she announced it in assembly, then quickly burst my bubble by also stating it was the lowest mark she had ever seen! I sort of wished the floor would swallow me up right then.

Although Mrs C was a proper stickler for the correct uniform, inspecting everyone as they filed passed her out of assembly, she did protect her 6th formers right to wear their own clothes quite avidly. I do recall her announcing in assembly that her 6th formers were respected young ladies, who had earned the right to wear their own clothes.

Aah Albatross, a beautiful selection of music, I’m listening to it now, courtesy of Alexa.

Merry Christmas.

Back