• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

Yes it is strange because I think there was a kind and caring person underneath. After being a good student for the first 5 years there, I chose the downward slippery route of doing nothing on starting sixth form. I’d really had enough of studying hard by that time. One day I was called into Mrs C’s office for a chat. I thought I was going to get torn off a strip for smoking with my boyfriend on the steps of the Stockland Plaza Cinema in school time. But no, she asked me about how I saw my future. Of course, I had no idea, so she gently suggested I focus on teaching or nursing as she recognised a strong nurturing trait in me. Well you could have blown me over with a feather ! I think she was trying to steer me back on track.

My mum got the same impression ASparks throughout the time I was there. My mum’s opinion of her on several occasions would be summed up by: “who does she think she is”. She still made me go to the school !

Viv.

Last edited:
Yes, I think when we get older we can look at people from the past in a different light - you wonder how their lives and career had been.
I think you're probably right in saying under all that, she had been a caring person.

Don’t think I’ve posted this before. I can’t say I recognise anyone in the photo even though I was at the school at this time. Viv.

View attachment 176851Source: British Newspaper Archive
Hi, I’ve just found this thread and I remember being in this production. I was an unnamed lady in waiting, but ended up playing Nerissa, Portia’s friend. Here is the character list from the programme. I’m the L. Ashton (Lynn) under ‘Other servants’. The newspaper photo isn’t very clear on my screen, but the first girl on the left is Jane Shipp.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 17
Thank you ! And welcome Lynn. Might have been a performance by mixed years. Sue Nicklin (Portia) was in my class. None of the females look like her in the photo, maybe some wore wigs. I think it’s Ken Clarke third from the left at the back. Possibly Peter Jones second from the right, although not 100% sure with that headgear. And it’s a poor photo which doesn’t help either. I see Mr Hellings signed the programme - did he direct the performance? Viv.

I've also dug out a form photo, must be 4th or 5th Year, so that makes it 1967 or 1968. I'm on the front row fourth from the right, still with my winter uniform on (I hated the summer dresses). I remember having to wear my school cardigan until there were holes in the elbows, because they were so expensive.

Attachments

• School 1967or 8 001.jpg
    School 1967or 8 001.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 22
That’s lovely Lynn. I have another press cutting about the My Fair Lady production of 1970. The play was produced and directed by Mr Slinn, he was MHGS Geography teacher. Sue Nicklin was in that too. They were asked to pay royalties on the production !

I remember sitting in the VI Form common room (under the stage) hearing the rehearsals for My Fair Lady.

Viv
940BA33B-9DD7-4B91-8B75-2B68DD67F904.jpeg4E535F55-3773-45A8-BBC3-F7C703AB87C6.jpeg

Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Thanks @Lmfray , nice to see your photos. I'm older than you and Viv and I don't recognise anyone now but some of the names are familiar.
I didn't wear the summer dresses either!

Great to see the report, Vivienne. It was obviously a quiet news day! I remember the My Fair Lady rehearsals too, but I wasn’t involved. I was in the Upper Sixth by then and (allegedly) much too busy revising for A Levels.

Hello, just found this thread. I am tying to remember what year I went to this school. It must have been 71/72 or 72/73 as I moved to Canada with my mother in 73. I still have my blue beret with the badge on it and my waist band with the little pocket for our money. I remember we had the plaid skirt and had to wear a light blue blouse and the dark blue cardigan, dark blue socks and black shoes. I remember taking a double decker bus to school, I just can't remember where mom and I were living at the time. Does any one here remember the name Trish Loftus?

My memory has failed me with some of these faces but here goes:
Back row from left: Pat Shorthouse?, Yvonne Eyden, Ann Binsley, Elizabeth Taylor, Me, Julie Welshman, Glynis Harper, Marijke Brand, Gill Yates, Elaine Pickard?
Middle row from left: ?, Christine Ball, ?, Angela Holdnall, Janet Morley?, Janet Thomas, ?, Jean Billingsley, ?, Jayne Woolaston
Front row from left: ?, Vanessa Wilson, ?, ?, Susan Nicklin, Linda Pope, Lesley Norris, ?, Rosemary Ellis. ?
I was in 1A, 2A and 3A then 4H and 5H because science went completely over my head! Biology I could do, Chemistry I could do but Physics - might as well have been Russian!

You are younger than me but I recognise some of those names, in particular Elizabeth Taylor as I seem to remember Miss Haste, the deputy head, making a comment regarding the actress of the same name.
I think there was a Richard Burton at the boy's school around the same time too!

I remember Miss Gilpin, I think she married a bit later and became Mrs Pardoe?

I'm not sure. I vaguely remember she had black curly hair. I didn't know her very well, she seemed to be a bit of a loner and no one knew her very well. Another name I remember is Letitia Rankin - I think she might be the girl next to Jayne Woolaston in the second row. Also remember the names Pauline Cleaver, Jane Evans and Christine Doyle but the faces have gone!!

I'm not sure. I vaguely remember she had black curly hair. I didn't know her very well, she seemed to be a bit of a loner and no one knew her very well. Another name I remember is Letitia Rankin - I think she might be the girl next to Jayne Woolaston in the second row. Also remember the names Pauline Cleaver, Jane Evans and Christine Doyle but the faces have gone!!
Yes, she was very reserved and kept herself to herself. Jane Evans was in the ‘M’ form. She lived just up the road from me and we often went to school together. Her parents ran a kind of menswear shop on College Road and her dad was a tailor. I remember going ip there and we both made ourselves a cheesecloth blouse!

My memory has failed me with some of these faces but here goes:
Back row from left: Pat Shorthouse?, Yvonne Eyden, Ann Binsley, Elizabeth Taylor, Me, Julie Welshman, Glynis Harper, Marijke Brand, Gill Yates, Elaine Pickard?
Middle row from left: ?, Christine Ball, ?, Angela Holdnall, Janet Morley?, Janet Thomas, ?, Jean Billingsley, ?, Jayne Woolaston
Front row from left: ?, Vanessa Wilson, ?, ?, Susan Nicklin, Linda Pope, Lesley Norris, ?, Rosemary Ellis. ?
I was in 1A, 2A and 3A then 4H and 5H because science went completely over my head! Biology I could do, Chemistry I could do but Physics - might as well have been Russian!
Front row right

Hi, I’ve just found this thread and I remember being in this production. I was an unnamed lady in waiting, but ended up playing Nerissa, Portia’s friend. Here is the character list from the programme. I’m the L. Ashton (Lynn) under ‘Other servants’. The newspaper photo isn’t very clear on my screen, but the first girl on the left is Jane Shipp.

My mum or dad got me a hamster from Colin Horlick's family! He must have lived in Kingstanding.

Found these while rummaging in the loft. Taken on the SS Nevasa in the Atlantic on an educational school trip to the Caribbean in 1969. One of the activities, deck hockey. I remember wearing very baggy jeans, think they were Wranglers - didn't do fitted ones for women in those days ! Viv.

Attachments

• 20230826_133148.jpg
    20230826_133148.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230826_220928.jpg
    IMG_20230826_220928.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back