• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

The Streetview I used in post #177 was, I think, the Stockland Green Bilateral school entrance, Marsh Hill Girls main entrance was opposite Bleak Hill and Marsh Hill Boys entrance was via Hampton Road, off Slade Road.

Interesting the way it has changed. Has anyone been in the school for a look around ? I’d quite like to just to see if I recognise anything still. Viv.

Yes, I thought your picture was from the Stockland Green entrance.

Thanks @sttudy for the up to date info on the site of the school! I knew it was the Josiah Mason 6th form college at one point but not that that had closed in 2012.

I left Birmingham in 1997 so I haven't been that way for a long time but it would be interesting to have a look round now!

And 6th from left is Angela Holdnall - the memories are flooding back!!
Wow! This took me back. I don't know how I stumbled into this thread but I remember Angela Holdnall from Perry Beeches in 1964. I went to KEGS Aston so we unfortunately lost touch. I moved away from 'Brum' as we had no family connections in the area. My brother lost a good friend in the infamous 'Pub Bombings'. You've spelled Marilyn's name without a 't'. Not a sister of Ray Prichard by chance? Sad that Friends Reunited has gone. I suppose most people found their best pals and then left. Most of us had good times then but I doubt that we knew it. (David Parkinson)

Hi Kathleen, I remember you too!
I live in London now but I'm still in touch with Lynda P.
Give all the girls my love!
Anne Spencer x
Hi Anne I have only just joined this forum. I was at Marsh Hill Girls' from 1960 when it opened until 1965. I have lived in London since 1976, in Wimbledon since 1983. Where do you live in London? I am finding this forum very interesting and the memories are flooding back. The reason I suddenly started reading it is that I am doing some work on a project in Birmingham - and yes at my ripe old age I am still working, full-time at that.

Hi Anne I have only just joined this forum. I was at Marsh Hill Girls' from 1960 when it opened until 1965. I have lived in London since 1976, in Wimbledon since 1983. Where do you live in London? I am finding this forum very interesting and the memories are flooding back. The reason I suddenly started reading it is that I am doing some work on a project in Birmingham - and yes at my ripe old age I am still working, full-time at that.

Ah, you must have been a couple of years above me, I started in 1962 and left in 1967.

I've lived in Stamford Hill, Hackney since 2007 and a couple of other areas in north London since I moved down in 1997.

Good for you doing a project on Birmingham! I think it's often only as we get older that we start to take more interest in the history of places. This is a brilliant Forum for Brum History - I know I have learnt so much more since becoming a member.

Welcome and enjoy!

I’m reposting this photo here - originally posted by Jeff2087. (Thanks Jeff) on the Marsh Hill Boys’ School thread - as it shows a number of Marsh Hill Girls in dancing lessons with the boys. Some girls may recognise themselves. It was a little before my time there. Viv.

7AA5C370-DB7A-4B40-8A80-A1CE7F14D002.jpeg
FEA22EB1-F6FD-477B-9D3B-3945404A80E4.jpeg

That's great Viv!
Before my time too, I started in 1962. I don't recognise any of the girls - they must have been some of the first intake years. I certainly don't remember any dancing with the boys when I was there!!

Wow! This took me back. I don't know how I stumbled into this thread but I remember Angela Holdnall from Perry Beeches in 1964. I went to KEGS Aston so we unfortunately lost touch. I moved away from 'Brum' as we had no family connections in the area. My brother lost a good friend in the infamous 'Pub Bombings'. You've spelled Marilyn's name without a 't'. Not a sister of Ray Prichard by chance? Sad that Friends Reunited has gone. I suppose most people found their best pals and then left. Most of us had good times then but I doubt that we knew it. (David Parkinson)
Whilst I didn't go to Marsh Hill I was on SS Nevasa in December 1969 and I have very fond memories of Angela. It would be wonderful to get in touch

Welcome Richard. I was also on the 1969 Nevasa cruise. You might not have seen the photo in the link below, just before we went on the cruise. Viv.
Hi all, especially Jayne Woolaston - you were in my class at MHGS, certainly in 5H anyway. You were friends with Julie Welshman if I remember rightly. I was Barbara Basnett in those days and was friends with Gillian Yates, although we have lost touch over the years. You were talking about the Caribbean Cruise, Vivienne. I have attached a photo from the Erdington News showing some of the girls who went on it, along with two boys (don't know their names). I am in the middle of the seated row. Next to me on the right is Janet Thomas and next to her is Sandra Meacham. Sorry the photo isn't brilliant quality but it is 50 years old!View attachment 142725

If memory serves me right, there were, I think, a couple of girls from another school in our Nevasa party. They must have been sent with our group perhaps because their school couldn’t send their own staff to supervise. Or maybe it was to make up a group of a viable number. I remember Mrs Cockbain (Head) came with us and another teacher (can’t remember who - would have been female). I also can’t remember which school the two girls came from. Maybe someone can remember.

I remember the stainless steel (?) plates sliding around the tables when we passed through the Bay of Biscay. There weren’t many pupils in the dining room for a few days after. Anyone remember playing deck hockey and quoits on the long days crossing the Atlantic ? Or the water sploshing out of the swimming pool when the Nevasa rode the crest of a wave !

I remember queuing at the Ship’s Bursars Office to draw cash. Think we had a special book with the cash deposited in it. Then withdrawals were recorded in the book.

Dormitory life was a revelation to me. Very claustrophobic, hot and noisy. I think we were somewhere near the kitchens, still at sea level as I remember the big doors which when opened were gaping holes, probably for loading/unloading stuff. We had basic, metal bunks, no frills type of dormitories for us girls. I expect the accompanying teachers had their rooms somewhere higher up and with a few luxuries, like their own toilet !

Viv.

I was at MHGS from 1962 to 1967. I was a bit of a rebel am embarrassed to admit. Does anyone know what happened to Pamela Smith ? She was my partner in crime.
I remember you, we were in the same school year! I think you were in the S form though? I was in the Z and then A forms.
I remember Pamela Smith's name too but wouldn't know what happened to her.
Anne Spencer

Well done Marsh Hill Girls, must try harder Marsh Hill Boys ! Although you still got through to the County competition. Viv.

8BE26C38-9F50-407E-BA6A-063D2BF63127.jpeg

Does anyone remember being ‘debobbled” ? Like many schools, older pupils carried out little initiations on new pupils. MHGS had debobbling - this was the removal of the little pointed stalk on the navy blue beret. I don’t remember having mine removed - in fact I think I removed it myself at home once I’d latched on to what it was all about. I never did it to others either, as I think it was frowned upon (by staff). But I clearly remember it went on. In some instances the ripping off of the bobble meant a tear in the beret. Expect some parents weren’t too pleased,

Viv.

Anyone remember receiving any careers advice ? I don’t remember talking to any nominated teacher, but I do remember having a discussion with Mrs Cockbain (Head). Not sure if it was a formal careers advice discussion but she told me I should go into either teaching or nursing. I did neither ! Viv.

Yes, I think Teaching was the usual advice!
My chat was with a teacher, Miss Lownes maybe - can't really remember now. I had decided I wanted to go on to Art School so we didn't have much to discuss. I did apply to Gosta Green but didn't get in on the course in the end.

Back