• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

Yes thank you!

I was at the girl's school and i think you must have been the same school year as me. We didn't really mix with the boy's school very much but I remember a few of the names.

Some of the pupils got together for the end of term stage show, my friend and I did the make up one year (it was our 5th year I think) and the boys did a very funny send up of the 60's Batman TV series which was extremely popular - if I recall correctly Peter Evans played Mr Freeze?!

Roger Ashby circa 1961-1967 interesting to see some of the old photos and relive some of the events , strange to remember some of the names in the photos. I remember Neils stabbing very well and the effort the teachers made to stop a full scale riot. I also remember the end of year plays ,and one time when there was performance of South Pacific musical these predated the joint efforts with the girls school. I also opted for tuition at the girls school to study human biology three lads and twenty odd girls , omg. Happy days in a different time.

I remember it breaking. I also remember it being hidden in his piano before someone locked it and 'mislaid' the key. I did enjoy his Geography lessons although he was a bit daunting at times. I remember being in the sixth form after not seeing him for a while. For some reason I can no longer recall, maybe because I was taking A level Biology, I was sent to put a plaster on his neck which had a cut on it (I never did find out how he had done it). He was puzzled how I knew to put a butterfly-type plaster on, but I never told him that it was because I remembered my own doctor doing the same to my head years earlier. The things you remember when you start thinking about school. Like lack of health and safety.
This is Mr Bernard Platt ... nickname Bernie ! He did not suffer fools.
An interesting character who played classical pieces on the piano in the assembly hall
during lunchtime, he was in a world of his own with his uncombed hair.
He also had a 'swish', a piece of flat wood used to whack you across the behind,
I got it once for flicking rubber bands.
He had a piercing look which was frightening to younger kids. However, he was very popular
with older kids due to his eccentric presence. In fact when he broke his swish on Ellis the
boys in the woodwork class made him a new one which was ornately carved with 'Bernie's Swish'
- and presented on the last day of term.

Hi

Wasn't the " swish" nicknamed Archibald ?
I also remember him throwing a blackboard rubber at you to make you pay attention in class, bearing in mind this was a solid piece of wood with some foam attached.

Bernie Platt taught be Geography from 1982 to 87 and helped me pass my O-Level. He then left the school after 28 years and took early retirement a couple of years later. Sadly he died in November 2019 aged 83. He was still as frightening and fearsome when I started the school but we all grew to like him and his lessons were always interesting. He still had his piece of wood which he would merely bang on an unsuspecting person's desk in the 1980's as he couldn't get away with GBH then.

Sadly the likes of Bernie Platt would not be tolerated in schools today but if there were teachers like him still about I reckon we'd see less crime and bad behaviour.

The school was opened in 1959 and shared the same campus as Stockland Green Secondary Modern and Marsh Hill Girls Grammar School opened in 1960. Edit. A link to Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech is here. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-grammar-tech-school.48205/page-2#post-609775

I was in the first intake which comprised of a first form of 5 classes (11 Plus) and a similar 2nd form (12 plus)
The school and its teachers had a lasting effect on my life and sadly I have lost touch with the many friends I made.
Maybe, just maybe there is someone out there who was in that first intake, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
I was also within the first intake, is there anyway where I can see others to jog a couple of memories. I was also part of the school football team that won the Federation Cup, a competition held throughout the Midlands fo 12ys olds (I think)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernie Platt taught be Geography from 1982 to 87 and helped me pass my O-Level. He then left the school after 28 years and took early retirement a couple of years later. Sadly he died in November 2019 aged 83. He was still as frightening and fearsome when I started the school but we all grew to like him and his lessons were always interesting. He still had his piece of wood which he would merely bang on an unsuspecting person's desk in the 1980's as he couldn't get away with GBH then.

Sadly the likes of Bernie Platt would not be tolerated in schools today but if there were teachers like him still about I reckon we'd see less crime and bad behaviour.
Remember Bernie Platt very well, I think I was his star pupil as I got Grade 1 for GCE Geography, shame the other subjects didn't follow suit, Wasn't it a Mr Probert teached History in the next classroom, just across from the drawing office on the top floor

I remember playing in a cricket match on the Saturday after that fight at Pype Hayes Park for St Marks Boys club, and the boy from Stockland was playing. He was petrified that Mohammed's family (and I think he had some brothers) were coming over to sort him out.
Chris, do we k now each other, I attended the school from the first intake and knew Mohammed quite well also.

Attended 66/67 leaving after lower sixth....a few teachers I remember
Merengue he used to slap you round the head for talking moderator edit .........
Pete Williams nice guy
Hellings....got me the cane he did.
Wilcox physics
Beanhead Buckley
Benny the Ball...gave me the cane
Bernie Platt and his swish
Caggy Horsecroft
Markwell the Head
Caldicott dep head
Ben Tillet
Mad Muir sports
Colin Morris
Bradshaw metal work
Ken Oliver nice guy used to drink in erdington
Ken Jones maths
Mr Wheatley French
Miss Forest French for a year, right fit.
Had a blast, great school, good pals and loved every minute.
Played football, (left before I could get my First 11 colours, still annoys me even now as played all of the games before I left) cricket, basketball for school and house Arden.

The school was opened in 1959 and shared the same campus as Stockland Green Secondary Modern and Marsh Hill Girls Grammar School opened in 1960. Edit. A link to Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech is here. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-grammar-tech-school.48205/page-2#post-609775

I was in the first intake which comprised of a first form of 5 classes (11 Plus) and a similar 2nd form (12 plus)
The school and its teachers had a lasting effect on my life and sadly I have lost touch with the many friends I made.
Maybe, just maybe there is someone out there who was in that first intake, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Chris, I was within the first intake after the 11+, I think I vaguely remember you, do I rekindle anything to you?

Remember Bernie Platt very well, I think I was his star pupil as I got Grade 1 for GCE Geography, shame the other subjects didn't follow suit, Wasn't it a Mr Probert teached History in the next classroom, just across from the drawing office on the top floor
I don't remember the wood and desks, but didn't he throw a wooden blackboard rubber around. Who were the weird physics and German teachers? Yhje german teacher gave me 12% in thee O level mocks then recommended Ime not to sit the exam, spoilsport!!!

Hi I’m searching for anyone who was in the class of 1972 from Marsh hill boys technical grammar school for my dad William Nicholls (Bill)
He has been searching on Facebook but hasn’t had any come back as yet.
Thank you in advance.

what years were you there...there are a lot of class photos on this thread now we need one of the school if anyone can help

lyn
3 years late but I only just discovered this thread. I hope you are still interested. This was taken from the library window of the boys school circa 1971. It was a protest against the abolition of grammar schools. I don't recall why the ground was being dug at that time but it presented a great opportunity, with a ready made burial mound. The cross was 'found' in that great storage area beneath the stage.Cross-1.jpg

Welcome Biscayne. If I’ve got this right, the library from where the photo was taken, must have been above the arched entrance to MH Boys, Such a shame that all disappeared.

The building with all the windows directly ahead in the distance was Marsh Hill Girls’ gym. That building seems to have survived later redevelopment, although I wonder whether it’s still a gym. The girls netball courts/tennis courts were on that tarmac in front of the gym. We (girls) often used to sit in the sunshine on those benches in front of the gym and keep a watch for male activity across the way ! Viv.

Last edited:
Not sure when the benches appeared, probably 1968/9ish. I remember an end of term netball match and we moved them to the edge of the court. Some VI Form boys attended too, but they stayed on the opposite side of the court. Probably were strictly forbidden to cross the line. Viv.

Welcome Biscayne. If I’ve got this right, the library from where the photo was taken, must have been above the arched entrance to MH Boys, Such a shame that all disappeared.

The building with all the windows directly ahead in the distance was Marsh Hill Girls’ gym. That building seems to have survived later redevelopment, although I wonder whether it’s still a gym. The girls netball courts/tennis courts were on that tarmac in front of the gym. We (girls) often used to sit in the sunshine on those benches in front of the gym and keep a watch for male activity across the way ! Viv.
Hi Vivienne, yes, the library was above the arched entrance where the group photographs seen earlier in this thread were taken. Along the driveway that leads to the right of the picture was the school pond, a rather sorry little puddle that suffered from a lack of attention. As you say, a shame that it has all gone now. Steve.

Steve. Did the ‘Beak’ appreciate the protest ? ! Viv.
Viv, I can't recall any of us being disciplined as a result of it. I think that perhaps the staff appreciated the protest as they probably saw the abolition of grammar schools resulting in a decline in standards and possibly their salaries as well!

Actually, we got away with quite a lot under the 'Beak' - We wrote and printed a couple of 'alternative' school magazines that were pretty uncomplimentary to the staff (Mr. Buckley, the music teacher was portrayed as an ageing rockstar "Beefy B-flat bash-it Beanhead) but they all took it well. Some were even seen laughing aloud at their own caricatures. Not sure it would be something we could get away with today, the world seems to have lost it's sense of humour.
I will post them here if I can find them.

Does anyone remember this, which stood in the small garden area between the kitchens and the admin wing?
This reproduced from the 1966 School magazine "Compass". The artist is actually Ian (not 'J') Emes who went on to become Pink Floyd's original animator.
The Spastic Plastic Sheep.jpgThe Spastic Plastic Sheep.jpg

Allow me to expand a little on some of the latest comment.
Bernie Platt was was my first form master, class 1R in 1959 in room15 at the top of the school. Even then he was starting to show some of his formidable temper. He was very kind at times too. His early "swish" was a broken blackboard set square. I was his first form captain too. Among my class mates were Bob Whitters, and Jim Devany who had his face slapped by Bernie for trying to be clever. Very sorry indeed to hear of his passing.
He and "Basher" Preece took a crowd of us on a hiking holiday in Snodonia in Spring 1960.
Next door along the corridor was old Mr. Probert who taught history. His lectures were totally without notes or the use of the blackboard.

In Biscayne's photograph, if I remember correctly. The building in the foreground was the science block on the ground floor with the great Mr. Fifer (physics), Mr. Riggall of the crepe soled shoes (chemistry) and also on this floor was - window bottom left - was the small classroom for the fast stream class 4F. As you may imagine, from this vantge point, we spent most of our time watching the girls.

Does anyone remember Mr. Lionel Barrell (biology). We became life long friends through rugby . He eventually moved to the west coast of France (La Rochelle rugby) and sadly died from a heart realted illness last year. I sorely miss him.

More soon. CS

Re#118 - obviously the title of the work wouldn’t be pc today, but was frequently used at the time. Remember the name Ian Emes, didn’t know he went on to work for Floyd - quite an achievement.

Viv.

Back