• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

Don't know if anyone remembers Ronnie Spiers, 1966 to 1971, he signed as a professional footballer for Stoke City (quite a good team back then) - though I am not sure he played in the first team. He died earlier this year, after some time being quite ill.
The main thing I remember about him was being put in detention by teachers and him telling them they could put him in detention on that day - because he was already in detention!
Another was on trip to see England vs Russia at Wembley (Dec 1967), Ronnie was sat near the back on the bus and his dad near the front - this dad stood up and shouted "Ronnie", Ronnie stand up and answer "Yes, dad" unfortunately Ronnie put his hand on the back of the seat in front and had a cig in it! Dad "your NOT smoking?" Ronnie "no" Dad "Put it out and come sit at the front!"
I’m Ron’s wife….im surprised to hear Ton was smoking he never smoked for all the years I’ve known him. And yes Ron did play for Stoke city and was park of their wider squad that won the FA Cup he remained park of Stoke city old boys untill his death in February this year. He had a bad injury which finished his professional career… in this day and age it would have been repaired and he would have gone on to for for fill his footballing carer… terrible waste of a brilliant footballer

Hi,
Ronnie was a fab footballer and also quite a character.
Yes I remember Stoke City winning The League Cup on 4th March 1972 - their first ever trophy.
I'm sure he is missed by all his family and friends.

Hi,
Ronnie was a fab footballer and also quite a character.
Yes I remember Stoke City winning The League Cup on 4th March 1972 - their first ever trophy.
I'm sure he is missed by all his family and friends.
Your right he was a big character he didn’t give up sport he played football still and he did a lot of running to keep fit any sport Ron did was always to a good standard he was just made that way.
He was a thoroughly decent and loving family man and yes we miss him everyday

Noj, sorry I missed your post, I thought I had set up a notification of new posts on this thread but it seems not. I hope you get notification of this reply. I remember you well - in particular the bell ringing at St. Barnabas Church. I also remember your demonstration in Chris Mason's front room (intended to encourage us all to join the campanologists) that ended with you accidentally punching a hole in the ceiling! You will no doubt remember the "Uncle Brian (Drury) for Headmaster" campaign. I still have the lapel badge.
I’d very much like to chat on phone or by email.

Brenthouse@icloud .com

The influence of Mr Hellings on one of his pupils.

Screenshot_20231218_185908_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Mr Markwell (Head) was a genealogist. He passed away in 1993

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219_021523_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219_021523_Chrome.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20231219_021144_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219_021144_Chrome.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231219_020637_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219_020637_Chrome.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 11
A Mr Hellings production of the Burke and Hare story. Presumably the females were Marsh Hill Girls students. I wonder if Garry achieved his ambition ?

Screenshot_20231219_152936_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231219_152954_Chrome.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

This was the boys school building. Think it was demolished some time ago, not sure when. If so, where did William Bloye's schoolboy sculpture go ?

Screenshot_20231219_143250_Chrome.jpg

Now that's what I like to see teachers 'doing' - getting properly involved ! More memorable that sitting in a classroom laboriously making notes on theories

Last edited:
A Mr Hellings production of the Burke and Hare story. Presumably the females were Marsh Hill Girls students. I wonder if Garry achieved his ambition ?

View attachment 187084View attachment 187085
Source: British Newspaper Archive
I helped with the lighting on this production and had a small walk-on part. The body in the trunk was a good prop, a pupil hidden inside so an arm could be lifted up.

I noticed on the Marsh Hill School Facebook Group that Ken Oliver had died unexpectedly aged 77 a couple of weeks ago. Former pupils had seen him out and about in Erdington literally right up until the day before his sudden passing and everyone said he looked well and seemed in good spirits.

He was clearly an inspirational teacher to many pupils at MHS from the late 1960s until early 1980's and will be much missed especially as he lived locally and was regularly seen out and about in the Erdington area.

When in the sixth form I was given a ladder and, with another classmate, allowed to climb onto the Gymn roof to throw down all of the stuff which had accumulated there. Imagine being allowed to do that today! It was a different world back then. I think that caps had been done away with a year or so before that, so maybe yours wasn't there. :joy:
As I recall caps were worn up to the end of the fourth year ,we tried to burn some on the last day of term but the stench of burning rubber put us off.
I was in the first intake and was put in 1A it did not take long for them to find my true level as I ended up in 1M .

As I recall caps were worn up to the end of the fourth year ,we tried to burn some on the last day of term but the stench of burning rubber put us off.
I was in the first intake and was put in 1A it did not take long for them to find my true level as I ended up in 1M .
Yes, I was downgraded too. Couldn't believe the slower pace of life outside the top class, but I soon adapted.

Back