• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marsh & Baxters, Castle Bromwich

hi iam Maurice wood move to b/ham from Exmouth worked marsh baxters 1960s worked sid Cameron tony yates bob nichlos phill backer albert spencer lol keatley and me on the creadle I have 8mm film of it to dvd now

Hi all,just found this thread.Remember so many names who worked at Marshs.First of all Charlie Salter ,started in the Garage with him in55.What a good signwriter he was,painted all the vehicle signs the Varnished over them,the smell was wonderful.Knew all the van salesmen,did work on their cars to earn a bit more in my lunch break.Remember Freddie Luckman and a lot of others.My Mother her name was Hettie Fifield was in charge of the Sausage House fo many years.Joey Baccio was in the Black Pudding room(they don't make B Pudding now like that tasted).Really enjoyed my time there left in65.

Hi all,just found this thread.Remember so many names who worked at Marshs.First of all Charlie Salter ,started in the Garage with him in55.What a good signwriter he was,painted all the vehicle signs the Varnished over them,the smell was wonderful.Knew all the van salesmen,did work on their cars to earn a bit more in my lunch break.Remember Freddie Luckman and a lot of others.My Mother her name was Hettie Fifield was in charge of the Sausage House fo many years.Joey Baccio was in the Black Pudding room(they don't make B Pudding now like that tasted).Really enjoyed my time there left in65.
My uncle worked there don´t know if you remember him his name was Tim Flynn. from Ireland. lived in Alum Rock, used to wear a hat and a Carnation in his lapel, don´t know what department or years he worked there but your years there may be the same as his.

Castalla,never knew a lot of the workers in the factory
because we worked in the garage And had dirty overalls so weren't allowed.The salesmen would give us a pork pie or a ring of B Pudding if we asked them nicely:blush::blush:

Recalling the name of Mr Stansfield the manager.He had a Wolsley 6/90car .Regestration
PGY 960,So we always called him PIGGY:blush::blush:

Astonion,The dads name was WALTER.When I worked in the garage Old Mr Walter would arrive in his chauffeur driven Rolls Royce.He would park the car and come straight into the garage and say good morning to each of us by name,what a lovely man he was.I as earning 2-17-6p a week as an apprentice ,but at xmas he would come in and give us 2 pound of sausage 2 pound of bacon and 2 one pound notes.What a nice gesture he would say for keeping the fleet of Marshs vans on the road as for the people Siddy Cameron was a great person so was Harry White(when we had our Hotel in Margate Harry stayed with us)they were very good friends of my mothers.As you say good to work with and know.By the way Tony Marsh sold up to concentrate on his Motor Racing,which he was quite good at.So good to reminisce with old people even tho we never met.

Ment to say I used to go over to Brierley Hill to the old factory quite often.Especially on Good Friday the annual Football Match.Still got the photograph of the team with the Manager Billy Bonus in our Red & White kit.Happy Days

My Dad, Dick Holloway, was the Factory manager at Dale End and moved to the new Castle Bromwich Factory as factory manager to open it. He was there until August 1961 when he left M&B's after 33 years to go abroad to Malta as General Manager of a new Bacon company out there. At that time I was nine
I remember Sid Cameron and also Peter Stansfield who was my Dads assistant manager. He later Managed the Vale of Mobray factory up north.
I used to go into the factory with my Dad on Saturday mornings to help? the pork pie team and my pay was a hot pork pie off the end of the oven, after jellying!! I can still taste them to this day!

Hi Nickholl.I worked in the Garage at Dale End & Castle Brom,remember your dad Dick.When you went into the Pie Room do you remember my Uncle Arthur May bury,he was in charge for years even after your dad left.Used to watch him jabbing the Pies to put the Jelly in .Mr Stanfield He was my mothers favorite (she was in charge of the Sausage Room.)Siddy Cameron was a lovely man used to get on with him Well.They don't make pork pies like them were we live now.The van salesmen used to give us a small pie or a ring of Black Pudding to keep their vans in good nick.Great times .The new Manager was Mr Armitage who's daughter was a good golfer.He had a Wolesley 6/90 registration PGY 690.We always called him PIGGY:laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
Miggy3 ,when I worked in the garage at M&Bs,Occasionally I would be asked( when they were short of drivers) to help with a delivery.Many times I had to go to the Cas Brom shop.This was between 1959-65.

My Dad, Dick Holloway, was the Factory manager at Dale End and moved to the new Castle Bromwich Factory as factory manager to open it. He was there until August 1961 when he left M&B's after 33 years to go abroad to Malta as General Manager of a new Bacon company out there. At that time I was nine
I remember Sid Cameron and also Peter Stansfield who was my Dads assistant manager. He later Managed the Vale of Mobray factory up north.
I used to go into the factory with my Dad on Saturday mornings to help? the pork pie team and my pay was a hot pork pie off the end of the oven, after jellying!! I can still taste them to this day!
Hi Nicholas
my name was Margaret Beard and I lived at 43 Marlborough Road and Dick and Irene were our lovely. neighbours. I worked for your dad at Marsh & Baxter’s Dale End for a little while. My Mom died 1960 I was only 15 then and she was a teacher at Bentley Road. When they left and moved to Malta Silema we Lost touch. I hope you are ok as you were just a small boy then, Please keep safe

Hi Nicholas
my name was Margaret Beard and I lived at 43 Marlborough Road and Dick and Irene were our lovely. neighbours. I worked for your dad at Marsh & Baxter’s Dale End for a little while. My Mom died 1960 I was only 15 then and she was a teacher at Bentley Road. When they left and moved to Malta Silema we Lost touch. I hope you are ok as you were just a small boy then, Please keep safe
Hi Margaret ....Yes! I remember you and your Mum & Dad as our next door neighbours.
I have been back to Castle Bromwich many times to see no 45 Marlborough Rd and the infants and junior school, Bentley Rd, where I went as a child.
It would be great to make contact again with you if you would like. My email is [email protected]
Perhaps you could email me your contact details and I'll get in touch..... regards Nicholas

Hi Margaret ....Yes! I remember you and your Mum & Dad as our next door neighbours.
I have been back to Castle Bromwich many times to see no 45 Marlborough Rd and the infants and junior school, Bentley Rd, where I went as a child.
It would be great to make contact again with you if you would like. My email is [email protected]
Perhaps you could email me your contact details and I'll get in touch..... regards Nicholas
PS My email has an underscore between nick and holl

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

I was 15years of age in 1965 when I started work at M&B Brierley Hill Carriage works, I have only just joined the forum, I don't know if anyone can remember the livery on the M&B vans, One, in particular, the Huge Vehicle and trailer which used to go over to the continent, I think it could be a Leyland Four Front wheels and four rear wheels and then the Trailer?

Hi Nicholas

I think I was taught by your mother in the late 40s to early 50s

Back