• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marrying dead wife's sister

OldBrummie2018

Brummie babby
Hello

I believe I have an instance in my family of a husband marrying his deceased wife’s sister: My 4 x great-grandfather James Jenkins (b 1785) married an Ann Williams in 1807 (in St Bartholomew Edgbaston). Between then and 1823 they had a total of 8 children.

Unfortunately Ann died in 1823 and was buried on 19th April. Then their youngest daughter died aged six months and was buried 15th June 1823, finally their eldest son died 1st July , aged 15, and was buried 9th July 1823. All burials taking place in Saint Martins Church in the Bull Ring.

James Jenkins now had six children between the ages of 2 years and 14 years as well as an Ironmongers Shop in Digbeth.

He married a Mary Williams on 9th August 1823 in St Philips Cathedral.

I am very certain Mary Williams was the younger sister of Ann Williams. Baptism records point to same name of parents and same residence location (Alum Rock)

Unfortunately James Jenkins died in 1826.

It seems Mary raised the children and carried on with the Ironmongers shop (no doubt with the help of the oldest children who were 17 and 14 at the time of their fathers death), before dying in 1841.

The shop was passed onto mostly James’ eldest daughter also named Mary (b 1814), and continued trading until at least 1880’s.

The other children where all relatively successful running shops in Ironmongery, Cabinet Makers, and Wine Merchants in both Digbeth and London.

The 1835 Marriage Act outlawed the marrying of a dead wife’s sister. This act was repealed in 1907, ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deceased_Wife's_Sister's_Marriage_Act_1907 ).

I do wonder what would have happened to the six children had the 1835 Marriage Act been enacted earlier.

I am speaking entirely from memory but I am sure that in one book on the history of Harborne, I read that the local landowner married in turn three sisters.

I am speaking entirely from memory but I am sure that in one book on the history of Harborne, I read that the local landowner married in turn three sisters.
i may have that book david...bit busy now but i will have a look later

lyn

Back