• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marriage William Gardner and Ruth Faulkner c1860

Ron Gardner

I have been trying to trace a wedding for William Gardner(born 1838 in Bidford on Avon, father called George) to Ruth Faulkner (bornabout 1841 in Temple Grafton, father called Charles) around 1860. I haverecently seen a tree on Ancestry that suggests that they were married on 12November 1861 at St Martin’s Birmingham, but I can’t find this anywhere online.Can anyone help please?

hi ron i am not the best at this and have only had a quick look so far...all i can find for william is on the 1841 census with parents george and hannah and 5 siblings which you most likely have.. no sign of him on the 51 census..can find no marriage for him and ruth..someone else maybe able to do better but i will have another scout around later on

lyn

On Ancestry that wedding is for Ruth Faulker to William Garner, a widower, his father was George., they were from Cambridge St. November 12th 1860.
Sorry this is brief, I've got to go out now!
rosie.

On Ancestry that wedding is for Ruth Faulker to William Garner, a widower, his father was George., they were from Cambridge St. November 12th 1860.
Sorry this is brief, I've got to go out now!
rosie.

Thanks to everyone for this - yes the identified William Garner is probably the right one. I should have spotted this as a couple of generations before the family in Bidford-on-Avon were recorded as Garner. I must have been having an extended 'senior moment'! Though he is called Gardner in all the censuses from 1841 to 1901. I have no idea as to why they got married in Birmingham, as far as I know neither of them had relatives there, though he was a journeyman stonemason and lived all over the place for short periods. The other odd thing is that in the 1861 census they appear separately as George Gardner and Ruth Faulkner at different addresses. Maybe the family weren't happy as Ruth was only 20 and his first wife Ann had died only 12 months before.

I have a generation of (coincidentally) Gardner family members who came from Tanworth in Arden, most of them also married in Birmingham. Does anyone have any idea why they didn't marry locally?

Back