• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marriage Lookup please: Appleby/Simons.

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
As Shera was kind enough to find the Ann Appleby marriage in 1835 for me, her info has pinpointed that her sister Matilda was a witness. Sooooo...I am now keen to find the details on the marriage cert for:

MATLIDA APPLEBY & HENRY SIMON 21/07/1826

Many thanks
Margaret.

here are the details margaret

henry simons of this parish bachelor and matilda appleby of this parish spinster

21st july 1826 . they both signed names and witness was hannah simons

found this baptism william henry born 13th june 1829 son of henry and matilda simons christened on 7th july 1829 at st. martins . abode - dale end. provision dealer

on the same day (7th july 1829) martha matilda born 3rd may 1819 daughter of william and martha simons . abode coleshill st. brushmaker

and this baptism matilda born 20th aug 1832 daughter of henry and matilda simons christened on 28th march 1834. dale end. provision dealer

and this one emma kate born 15th april 1841 daughter of henry and matilda simons christened 5th june 1841. dale end. cheese factor

apart from these there is a john and mary simons having children christened, and john was a surgeon. they also lived in coleshill st. for a while

also a jesse and mary appleby who took their child on the same day for batism with john and mary simons, so they must all be part of the family

Once again my thanks to you Shera for all this info..certainly lots there for me to get my teeth into ! As always I have appreciated your help.

Thank you again,
Margaret.

Hi
I'm trying to find out any information I can on Martha Matilda Simons who is my 3rd ggm. I have no information on her parents, or siblings etc. and would love to learn more. Any information would be greatly received.
Thanks
Heather

Hi Heather, Martha Matilda Simons was christened at St. Martins, Birmingham on 7 July 1829 but born on 3rd May 1819.
Parents were William and Martha Simons. William Simons was a brushmaker and they lived at Coleshill Street at that time.

Thank you so much for replying and providing more information for me. I've discovered that William's wife's (Martha) surname is Hewitt, but once again I can't find out any more information on her. Do you have any leads on this one??

Kind Regards
Heather

Hi Heather, Martha Matilda Simons was christened at St. Martins, Birmingham on 7 July 1829 but born on 3rd May 1819.
Parents were William and Martha Simons. William Simons was a brushmaker and they lived at Coleshill Street at that time.

hello heather..martha matida had 3 older brothers and a sister ive found these baptisms and also a death for george..

JOHN SIMONS SON OF WILLIAM AND MARTHA SIMONS...BAPTISM TOOK PLACE AT ST PHILLIPS CHURH ON 27TH OF AUGUST 1810..although this early baptism record does not not give address or fathers occuption i think its safe to assume that he is another brother of martha matilda...

EMMA SIMONS B 7TH OCT 1815..PARENTS WILLIAM AND MARTHA SIMONS..ADDRESS COLESHILL ST..OCC OF FATHER BRUSH MAKER..BAPTISM TOOK PLACE AT ST PHILLIPS CHURCH ON 29TH MARCH 1817..

EDWARD SIMONS B 29TH MARCH 1816..PARENTS WILLIAM AND MARTHA SIMONS..ADDRESS COLESHILL ST..OCC OF FATHER BRUSH MAKER..BAPTISM TOOK PLACE AT ST PHILLIPS CHURCH ON 29TH MARCH 1817...so 2 baptisms on the same day...

GEORGE SIMONS..B 26TH DECEMBER 1817..PARENTS WILLIAM AND MARTHA SIMONDS..ADDRESS COLESHILL ST..OCC OF FATHER BRUSH MAKER..BAPTISM TOO PLACE AT ST PHILLIPS CHURCH ON 22ND JANUARY 1816..

JUST FOUND THIS HEATHER...GEORGE DIED AGED 6..ADDRESS COLESHILL ST..SON OF WILLIAM AND MARTHA SIMONS..HE WAS BURIED AT ST PHILLIPS CHURCH ON 10TH JUNE 1824

hope this helps a little

lyn

Last edited:
Marriage info.

William Simons to Martha Hewitt 17th September 1817 St. Michael ,Coventry.

heather do you already have the marriage details for your 3x grandmother if not here they are...

MARTHA MATILDA SIMONS TO JAMES ALEXANDER REYNOLDS..1ST AUGUST 1839 PARISH OF EDGBASTON BIRMINGHAM..FATHER WILLIAM BRUSHMAKER...one of the witness is E SIMONS so im assuming that will be marthas sister emma.. are you a member of ancestry?? because if you are martha matildas marriage cert is available to view as some of the birmingham church marriage certificates are being put on ancestry which is great as we can see our ancestors signatures and who witnesses were etc

lyn

Last edited:
Hi all

Once again still trying to find out information about William Simons and Martha Hewitt. I can't find out their date of birth let alone their parents etc. Any information no matter how little will be much appreciated because this line as stopped since I entered Martha Matilda Simons, my 3ggm.
heather

I have found a burial for Martha Simons 24th Aug 1828 at St Phillips husband Williams Simons and living at Colehill street
Martha was born in 1779. William is on the 1841 census living as a lodger.
I will keep on looking for their birth`s.
Carol

theres a baptism of a william simons at st. phillips on 9 jan 1778 with parents john and elizabeth simons. no other info added though.

there are two other baptisms around that time... william simons baptised at st. martins on 21 apr 1769 with parents william and margaret,
and a baptism of a william spencer simons at st. phillips on 4 sep 1781 with parents william and hannah. best of luck, shera

Hi Shera

I'll see if any of these are right. Many thanks for your help. If you find out anymore info, please let me know, am still struggling!!

Heather :)

Hi Shera
I'm hoping you can provide more information for me re: William and Martha i.e William's parents / Martha's parents etc. After all this time I'm still no further even though I haven't stopped searching!!

Any help will be most appreciated.

Kind Regards
Heather

as william and martha`s marriage was at st. michaels coventry 17 sep 1817 (as provided by alberta) , this seems likely for martha`s baptism ...

martha hewitt. christening date. 21 feb 1799 at st. michaels, coventry. parents henry and mary hewitt.

theres a marriage 26 dec 1788 of henry hewitt to mary ryon at holy trinity, coventry, which could possibly be your family?

with william simmons/simons, the name is much more common and therefore difficult to know which would be correct as the early records didnt give much information.

Hello Shera

Thank you so much for this information. I'm now going to put this into my ancestry.com.au web page and see what happens!! I'm hoping it opens up many new paths for me!!

Heather

Back