• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marriage Look Up

Chris L

I would be very grateful if someone could look up the marriage of Thomas Sanders and Ann Bettelley (many spelling variants) (Rose before first marriage) on 23 September 1849 at St Martins, Birmingham. I know that Thomas was born in Cleeve Prior, Worcestershire and Ann lived most of her life in and around Willenhall, Staffordshire and I was surprised not to find the marriage at St Giles, Willenhall but this could have been due to the cholera epidemic in the area at the time. Any information on either of their parents or addresses or witnesses at the marriage could be useful.

Hello Chris, the address for both is Park St. it doesn't say which one! Witnesses were Thomas Bevan and Henry Gittins, fathers were Robert Saunders and John Wright. Ancestry have mis-transcribed Thomas as "Sandeis"!!
I hope this helps.
rosie.

PS. Park St. is probably the Digbeth one as it's St. Martin's.

Last edited:
Hello Chris, the address for both is Park St. it doesn't say which one! Witnesses were Thomas Bevan and Henry Gittins, fathers were Robert Saunders and John Wright. Ancestry have mis-transcribed Thomas as "Sandeis"!!
I hope this helps.
rosie.

PS. Park St. is probably the Digbeth one as it's St. Martin's.

Thanks Rosie. This has unblocked two strands to my tree. I have now found the marriage of Anne's mother to John Wright two years after Ann was born (explains the name difference) and have also traced Thomas Sanders family in Worcestershire now I know they were Saunders at that time and not Sanders. Just one question - I don't suppose the names of the fathers being recorded in the church records meant thy were actually present at the marriage (they were likely to be a bit old) - or does it?

I think that it should say deceased if the Father had died but records that far back are not always accurate.

Janice

I've just had another look and it gives "labourer" as profession for both, but it doesn't say whether they are deceased or not. As Janice says, they didn't always put the correct details, or the truth!
rosie.

Back