• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

MARRIAGE DETAILS PLEASE - WILLIAM HASELER

Wow Lyn; thanks for the fast reply. I found another thread shown below on this site for St Martins and thought that meant there should be the same info for the later date of 1780. Am I wrong?

isaac hall of the parish of west bromwich in the county of stafford, bachelor, nailer and margaret ward of this parish spinster

4th feb 1762 they both signed their names and the witnesses were thomas farquaharson and edward gibbons

maurice information for that far back was very scant...usually only the bride and grooms names and maybe a wittness....no fathers names...addresses or occupations were listed.. as far as i know it was not until 1837 that all that extra info was added...

lyn

Thanks again Lyn; what service! How do you explain the info I have given above? Was it that someone wrote 1762 instead of 1862 for example. I found that churches were supposed to use a printed form for marriages. See below, and I have an example of this form from 1760 for Solihull. Perhaps they were lazy at St Martins

'In 1754, separate marriage and banns registers were introduced in a standard printed portrait format, which remained in use until 1837, when civil registration began.'

The reason that there are more details for the hall/ward marriage might be that they appear to have been married by license.

Even if printed standard registers were issued, that does not mean that all were obliged to give full details. parties. The parties may have not wished on many occasion to give details other than minimal, names and ages

The printed form can be seen on my amended post showing the details they were requried to give.

Many thanks to all four of you. I joined Birmingham History less than an hour ago and have been amazed by the efficiency of the service. I think that William came from outside Brum and I was hoping to find some more information that would help me to trace back. You have convinced me that I can't do that from the marriage records. Thanks again.

MWS. That's interesting. It would be great if you could give me more info on the exact date of burial, where and how you got the indication of Herts or Essex.

From familysearch - burial William Haseler 5 Jan 1831 St Phillip (address) Hockley age 75 (1756)

I assume it's the right William, it's the only one.

The 2 baptisms are 9 Mar 1755 Hunsdon, Herts (William & Ann) & 1 Dec 1754 Romford, Essex (Matthew & Sarah). No knowing if either are relevant, they are just the 2 closest to 1756.

Welcome to the Forum.
Maurice hasn't been on the site since 2020 so may not see your reply.
If he allowed email notification of replies he may know you have posted.

Back