• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marriage certificate query.

Davenport

master brummie
Wondering why both the Father’s name and Profession are not included on this marriage certificate?
witnessed by Robert Davenport and Jane Davenport. Mary’s Father was a Robert,as well as a Brother and Sister Jane. Thank you.BCA7DC7E-E871-4DAF-98F2-7050CAA05AC9.jpeg

I see they were married by license, could it have something to do with that?

As they were known and knew about it can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be.

Wondering why both the Father’s name and Profession are not included on this marriage certificate?
witnessed by Robert Davenport and Jane Davenport. Mary’s Father was a Robert,as well as a Brother and Sister Jane. Thank you.View attachment 151427
Having done a lot of research into my own family, I have a number of certificates with such information missing. Also the age of either the bride and groom were sometimes wrong, I would suspect due to age of consent do they want to keep wedding quiet , Hope this gives food for thought.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

Last edited:
Davenport, There is a possibility that the lack of the fathers' names were due to illegitimacy or that persons had been brought up by grandparents or as a part of another family (which happened to my own husband). The father could have disappeared years before or deserted the family as in my own Grandmother's case and there are other reasons too. Also, it seems that the Vicar obliged by leaving the entry blank.

Davenport, There is a possibility that the lack of the fathers' names were due to illegitimacy or that persons had been brought up by grandparents or as a part of another family (which happened to my own husband). The father could have disappeared years before or deserted the family as in my own Grandmother's case and there are other reasons too. Also, it seems that the Vicar obliged by leaving the entry blank.
I feel Anthea, adds some good reasons for lack of information. But it's worth looking at other certificates for information.
It took me a long time to realise that my grandfather and uncle were both named Charles. My uncle Charles died in action in 1917, I don't know why but my father rarely spoke of him, yet he had another brother Sydney who also died in action in 1917 was remembered.
I Found a Charles born in 1889, then a Charles Marriage in 1910 then the puzzle fitted into place

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

Back